Taking a 4.3 metre high truck to Calais - Advice please

I have a 4300 mm high rigid and am buying a trailer from a European seller.

I don`t want to take my lorry any further than going over to Calais to meet the seller, he has agreed to bring the trailer to Calais.

The trailer I am buying is 4000 mm high so no problem there.

Are there any bridges immediately in the vicinity of Calais port that would be a problem ? Will 4300 mm go on and off all ferries without a problem ■■

I am looking for advice as to where would be the best place nearest to the port that I could meet him.

Thanks In Advance

if you deffo dont want to see a bridge then google this…literally 2 mins from the roundabout at the end of the port.

834 Rue des Garennes

google.com/maps/@50.9658054 … 312!8i6656

plenty of places there to sit and wait,though you might want to take a rotty with piles and a couple of alligators with aids to keep the great unwashed from sneaking into your trailer.
no probs going onto the boat,but make sure you go through the security checks to make sure youve nothing unwanted hanging onto your axles.
theres better places around,but thats 2 mins and plenty of space plus you almost will not lose sight of the port.
remember and buy your wine there.
id recommend 80 cases ( 40 on each bunk) which throws you £500 quid at 1 quid a bottle markup.jp chenet would be ideal…
if your a 1 off crosser then theres no reason not to fill your boots with booze.
its different for the ones across every week if it gets debated but not for a 1 off dude. :wink:

Thanks DD999

I won`t be hanging around sight seeing or shopping … will be a " turn and burn " back to Calais port . Thanks for the info

Calais town and the surrounding area is not safe to be waiting around, if walking around, there are gangs of young men.
Getting robbed is likely, and as Diesel said, illegals hanging of your axles.
To meet up, exit the port, at the split, head Eastbound, or bear left, take the free motorway A16, and exit at junction 48 for All4trucks secure parking.

It’s 2.80 euros per hour, and has a restaurant or grab a cafe au pair, while waiting.The parking area is fenced in and has security dogs on patrol.Fax machine if needed.
Once heading back home, each illegal will get you a fine of £2000.

dodged600:
Thanks DD999

I won`t be hanging around sight seeing or shopping … will be a " turn and burn " back to Calais port . Thanks for the info

Be no bother at 4.3m on the boats we used to take 4.4m to Toulouse via Calais

as above france not a major problem over 4.0m but Belgium and Holland are. I assume it’s a drag trailer you are buying?

dodged600:

I don`t want to take my lorry any further than going over to Calais to meet the seller, he has agreed to bring the trailer to Calais.

Are there any bridges immediately in the vicinity of Calais port that would be a problem ? Will 4300 mm go on and off all ferries without a problem ■■

I am looking for advice as to where would be the best place nearest to the port that I could meet him.

Get them to drop it off at one of the ferry companies in Calais so they can send the trailer unaccompanied. Would also save you money…

If the trailer is left unattended for any length of time I can see you coming back with an un wanted load of livestock [emoji6]

Geoffo:

dodged600:

Get them to drop it off at one of the ferry companies in Calais so they can send the trailer unaccompanied. Would also save you money…

Would the ferry Co. be able to handle un-accompanied draw-bar trl ? I can’t ever remember seeing the tugs loading one at ANY port … happy to be proved wrong. :laughing:

toby1234abc:
or grab a cafe au pair,

Ok…

What’s a cafe au pair?

If I grab one, will she slap me round the chops?

The Rustler:

Geoffo:

dodged600:

Would the ferry Co. be able to handle un-accompanied draw-bar trl ? I can’t ever remember seeing the tugs loading one at ANY port … happy to be proved wrong. :laughing:

It was just a suggestion. If he calls the ferry companies, then he’ll find out for sure…

I wouldn’t concern myself as long as I was under 4.5m in France, there are a few low bridges but there is always a way round them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoffo:

The Rustler:

Geoffo:

dodged600:

It was just a suggestion. If he calls the ferry companies, then he’ll find out for sure…

Hi. Didn’t mean that to sound as if I was having a go at you. LOL I used to do close coupled draw-bar on flowers and can’t ever remember seeing any of the “flower lads” not loading their own trls.

yourhavingalarf:

toby1234abc:
or grab a cafe au pair,

Ok…

What’s a cafe au pair?

If I grab one, will she slap me round the chops?

Think Cappuccino.

Dodgy Permit:
Think Cappuccino.

Grande creme…

Check.

Cappuccino, check.

Cafe solo, check.

Cafe au lait, check.

Cafe au pair, nope, never 'eard of it.

yourhavingalarf:

Dodgy Permit:
Think Cappuccino.

Grande creme…

Check.

Cappuccino, check.

Cafe solo, check.

Cafe au lait, check.

Cafe au pair, nope, never 'eard of it.

Same here so I just googled it, as most do but I am happy to admit it.

Dodgy Permit:
Same here so I just googled it, as most do but I am happy to admit it.

The first thing I did was…

Google it and the result doesn’t explain what a cafe au pair is.

Is it coffee with milk, eggs, beluga caviar, Castrol GTX motor oil? You tell me.

my misses sometimes presents me with melons au pair when im home.
nothing nicer to get stuck into an a sunny morning…after that,i just have a normal coffee, :slight_smile: