Taking 2nd break

Not sure about this but I know I’ll get the right answer…

When you have completed your break period after the first 4.5 hours driving can the breaks for your second break be split into 3 x 15 mins?
I know if you split your first break the second part has to be 30 mins but does that rule carry on into your second 4.5 hours?

Cheers

Dave

davidj247:
Not sure about this but I know I’ll get the right answer…

When you have completed your break period after the first 4.5 hours driving can the breaks for your second break be split into 3 x 15 mins?
I know if you split your first break the second part has to be 30 mins but does that rule carry on into your second 4.5 hours?

Cheers

Dave

Same rule applies to the second as it does for the first

cheers Rog
knew it wouldn’t take long!

Ditto above whether its the 1st,or2nd break the last part ot the 45 must be a minimum 30mins towards a driving break

Yes
and you CAN NOT split it into 3 x 15
It will always be 15 first and 30 second or the full 45

The reason it was changed was that you could do say 15min driving 30min break 4.25 hrs driving 15min break then a full 4.5hr drive meaning you could in the old days do 8.75hrs with only a 15 min break

Just remember 15 then 30 everytm if your gonna split them

Am I right in assuming that after your 45mins first break the slate is wiped clean?
This means now you can drive 15mins - break 15mins - drive 4hrs 15mins - 30mins break and then drive a full 4.5 hours until you need another break. That’s 8 hours 45 mins with just a 30 minute break!
Seems a bit dodgy to me

davidj247:
Am I right in assuming that after your 45mins first break the slate is wiped clean?
This means now you can drive 15mins - break 15mins - drive 4hrs 15mins - 30mins break and then drive a full 4.5 hours until you need another break. That’s 8 hours 45 mins with just a 30 minute break!
Seems a bit dodgy to me

dodgy but true - they did not get this quite right did they - typical EU!! - what they should have done, but didn’t, was to use a ‘rolling’ period in which breaks were to be taken.

Drivers regs by ROG :wink:
Within any period of 4 hours accumulated driving time a driver must take a break of at least 30 mins duration.