Morning everyone just quick question
Yesterday I took off the complete rear
Mud guard there was no time to have it
Fixed last night but I know company will want
Me to take truck out and have it fixed later
I think this is not legal it should be fixed first
Any advice on this subject would be help full
Thanks

Unit no. trailer id personally go with it if you know things normally get done asap

If you wasn’t pulled yesterday, then it didn’t happen yesterday :wink:

Depends on the firm, some are by the book 100%, some are as close as possible without being daft, and some just don’t give a crap.

How is the firm with you normally, would they ask you to run bent, are they a good firm to work for or crap.

Officially it shouldn’t go out, the answer to the above questions would make my decision though.

It shouldn’t go out at all.

A missing wing/wheel arch could result in an immediate prohibition which will cost the company a fair chunk to get resolved. It could just be a delayed prohibition if they don’t think it makes it dangerous, but I suspect they’ll go for the immediate.

Even if you say it only happened today … it’ll make no odds.

I guess the company needs to decide how much they value their OCRS score and potentially having to deal with a PG9

multiman:
there was no time to have it
Fixed last night
Thanks

■■■■■■■■. Its a 15-30 minute job. If we picked up a trailer with one we’d take it to the workshop on the way out the gate and get it fixed there and then, thats how little time it takes.

We don’t have workshop it main dealer phoned them but they said to busy bring in morning so that what I did but longer than 1/2 hr but that main dealer for you

As touched upon, work on mudflap = delayed prohibition, mudguard + mudflap = immediate prohibition.

Depends on circumstances and examiners mood but personally I like to get any damage to spray suspression equipment repaired there and then as your the captain of your ship regardless of company policy, own intestinal fortitude etc.
Dodgy ■■■■ flaps are known to be dangerous and can lead to excessive squirting of passers by.

I would not take out a truck or trailer with a missing mudguard, I’d say you’d get an immediate prohibition as i would class that as dangerous.

You can talk your way out a bulb being out or even an Amber ABS warning. But no way could you talk your way out of having a missing mudguard unless you where on your way to the garage with it, with a defect note in your hand.

Mudguards are an easy fix, 5-10 mins to fit a brand new one or 15-20 mins if youre just replacing the brackets and having to bodge it a bit to make them fit around the old mounting.

I totally understand and agree with what folks are saying in that the vehicle should not go out with a mudguard missing, but I only agree because we live in a world where ticking boxes takes precedence over common sense! Dangerous! How? Is an unguarded wheel suddenly going to jump out on a passing pedestrian? Let’s get a sense of proportion here chaps, for years trailers ran without any form of spray suppression and I don’t recall the highways littered with bodies because of that.

I would accept that a tractor unit running bobtail with one missing could be construed as dangerous, but only by virtue of the lack of lights and indicators, nothing more.

No argument from me. Its only dangerous if you’re stood next to the truck when its moving and put your hand on the tyre which isn’t really likely is it?

I could see an argument for the rear one because of the increased spray it would kick up in the wet but thats about it.

Our trailers have the wide ‘advertising’ flap underneath the under run…one of the day drivers, who lacks the ability to reverse between bananas and regularly removes the spray flap and occasional wing, suggested taking them off because the big one does the same job!!

You need to bear in mind if they ask you to take it out its them ( or their truck ) that gets the prohibition not you . If they want to take that risk that’s surly down to them

chester1:
You need to bear in mind if they ask you to take it out its them ( or their truck ) that gets the prohibition not you . If they want to take that risk that’s surly down to them

But you’re the one that gets the fine from VOSA.

Radar19:

chester1:

And you pass it to your boss

chester1:

Radar19:

chester1:

And they won’t pay it. It’s down to you to decide if the vehicle is road worthy. In the eyes of VOSA, you are the one in the zb. Your boss would wave around something like "we ask all drivers to report defects "etc so he’s off the hook.

Radar19:

chester1:

Radar19:

chester1:

And they won’t pay it. It’s down to you to decide if the vehicle is road worthy. In the eyes of VOSA, you are the one in the zb. Your boss would wave around something like "we ask all drivers to report defects "etc so he’s off the hook.

I didn’t say it was ideal as in my first post as to taking it out would depend on the company as if normally they get things sorted in a timely manner and you will have had the conversation before hand . There is nothing to say it can’t do a cpl of deliverys on the way to the repairers . And you would hope as it was your ■■■■■■ up in the first place you will be a bit flexible