Tailswing

Evening,

I was just wondering, I’ve been driving for a few months now and I’m doing ok, but the only thing I can’t get my head around is tailswing, I always worry I’ve swiped something with the back end while turning and being close to things such as parked cars, things on the pavement etc. I was hoping you could put my mind at rest and tell me if there is a sure fire way to be sure you are clear of hitting anything without having to guess and hope all the time.

Many thanks.

I was the same when I started on the busses, plenty of time checking mirrors and through time you just know exactly where the back of your vehicle is.

With most busses when you are behind them you notice that when moving round a corner tail swing is very minimal due to forward motion. Our rear steer coaches are a bit different though, bloody tailswing on them is horrendous.

Not sure if it’s the same with the trucks though.

Go into an area in your yard, and if possible, get the forkie to stack you a few pallets.

See how close you can get before you knock them on a swing. Then make a mental reference on where you ’ thought ’ the pallets were in your mirror.

eagerbeaver:
Go into an area in your yard, and if possible, get the forkie to stack you a few pallets.

See how close you can get before you knock them on a swing. Then make a mental reference on where you ’ thought ’ the pallets were in your mirror.

We done this but used traffic cones in different positions. Scary how far out your judgement can be at the very beginning.

Thanks guys but I just never get how to check properly with mirrors because everything in the mirrors disappears as you turn if you get what I mean, it’s so frustrating!

No extra pay in your bank for getting within centimetres of an obstruction/somebodys car etc.

Any doubt, simply take both lanes.

eagerbeaver:
No extra pay in your bank for getting within centimetres of an obstruction/somebodys car etc.

Any doubt, simply take both lanes.

Well said beaver, I always take up loads of room and am cautious about what bellend is by the side of my ect!

Most times the damage with tail swing is done when someone gets on your inside. The trick is to own the road. If you have to turn right from a two lane or more DONT stick to the one lane. You have to take control of two so a driver can’t get in your blindzone. It will pi$$ a few off bit but it works. Also look at other trucks when they are at junctions to see how far out it swings

midlifetrucker:
The trick is to own the road. If you have to turn right from a two lane or more DONT stick to the one lane. You have to take control of two so a driver can’t get in your blindzone. It will pi$$ a few off bit but it works. Also look at other trucks when they are at junctions to see how far out it swings

this is exactly what i am doing. Ive only been driving properly for a couple of weeks on a 26t rigid and find that this approach works for me. the attitude of “if they cant fit in the gap i cant knock them out” works!

I used to do egg deliveries in London in a 6 wheeler with a ridiculous over hang. It’s the only way

cp91:
I was the same when I started on the busses, plenty of time checking mirrors and through time you just know exactly where the back of your vehicle is.

With most busses when you are behind them you notice that when moving round a corner tail swing is very minimal due to forward motion. Our rear steer coaches are a bit different though, bloody tailswing on them is horrendous.

Not sure if it’s the same with the trucks though.

:imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: bloodbuss you greyhound :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: (it’s a buss forum). :angry: