Tailift info needed

Anyone know where I can find any info on how to change the torsion bars on a ratcliff colum tailift
I google searched but can’t find any info how to replace

John

I reckon its best left to tail lift experts. Changing the torsion bar could be dangerous due to the amount of tension in the spring.

damoq:
I reckon its best left to tail lift experts. Changing the torsion bar could be dangerous due to the amount of tension in the spring.

That’s the problem no tension :smiley: :smiley:
I don’t think they are that hard to do its just having the know how (same as anything I suppose)

John

If it’s any help, they’re easier to do whilst in the up position - no tension on them then so you don’t get hurt :wink:

busy fool:

damoq:

That’s the problem no tension :smiley: :smiley:
I don’t think they are that hard to do its just having the know how (same as anything I suppose)

John

Will post pic later of bar location, not dangerous job.

Own Account Driver:

busy fool:

damoq:
I reckon its best left to tail lift experts. Changing the torsion bar could be dangerous due to the amount of tension in the spring.[/

Thanks

I have undone the end caps / nuts. Where the torsion bars are I can pull the bars right out only to discover they are snapped off three quarters the way which leaves quarter the bar inside the platform but I don’t know how to get at the rest of the bar out. Seems like there inside a sealed platform heavy duty rivets run up each side of the platform do I need to remove these rivets
Thanks for any help
John

busy fool:

Own Account Driver:

busy fool:

damoq:
I reckon its best left to tail lift experts. Changing the torsion bar could be dangerous due to the amount of tension in the spring.[/

Thanks

I have undone the end caps / nuts. Where the torsion bars are I can pull the bars right out only to discover they are snapped off three quarters the way which leaves quarter the bar inside the platform but I don’t know how to get at the rest of the bar out. Seems like there inside a sealed platform heavy duty rivets run up each side of the platform do I need to remove these rivets
Thanks for any help
John

Worst case possibly, if you want to get the broken piece out, is it still located in one side of the lift or is it jangling around inside?

Yeah it is still inside but how do I get to it ?..
John

Try fishing it out with a telescopic magnetic pick-up tool.

If no joy drill out rivets of bottom slat or grind a hole through and hide repair behind a marker board.

Because it was broken there was no tension you will need to tension with the hex bolts when you renew

busy fool:

And thats why their use and provision is covered by PUWER

and LOLER

I think the aim is that people don’t try and do just what you’ve asked.

Mike-C:

busy fool:

And thats why their use and provision is covered by PUWER

and LOLER

I think the aim is that people don’t try and do just what you’ve asked.

Yawn yawn yawn. Can’t find a link on how to repair on any of those sites. :grimacing: