Tailgating

dazteahan:

FarnboroughBoy11:
why were you not doing 60? I would have removed myself from the situation.

I am gaining on a large line of traffic? so I let someone bully me into catching said line, then he catches up and pushes again?

Not at all, he is a ■■■■ for tailgating, but do the speed limit which is 60. I personally don’t think he would have been tailgating you if you were keeping up with traffic.

I should have probably added that during the whole ordeal my missus would have been going mental taking pictures and videos of the truck trying to reassure the kids (who would probably be coffee shaking like troopers out the back window and making things worse).

albion1971:

dazteahan:
I made sure I had room to get out of trouble if needed, speeding up to the next line of traffic sitting at about 50 would of made it worse as I would of been boxed in. What is worrying is that some so called professional drivers seem to regard this as perfectly acceptable behaviour!

I

You will not get much sympathy on here for being tailgated.You would think being a professional truck drivers forum all drivers would agree that the only person at blame was the tailgater.
But you are to blame as well for not getting yourself out of the situation which as you have explained is not always possible.
Yes if there is a layby you can pull in but we all know how few laybys there are on some roads but why should you have to do that(apart from keeping yourself and your family safe) when you are doing nothing wrong.
The point is you are completely in the right and the truckdriver is completely in the wrong and these ignorant morons need taking off our roads asap.They are the ones that cause many horrendous accidents with their selfish driving.
Personally I have my own way of dealing with them when it is possible and that involves making sure we have a little chat which the driver inevitably finds quite painful.

LOL so you criticize drivers for being unprofessional then say you would “have a little chat which the driver would find painful” so I am assuming that you are not going to tickle him to death so you must be advocating violence, a word of warning no matter how hard you think you are there is always someone harder round the corner and if not a cab bar is a great equalizer

All in all it boils down to this;

Do you as professional drivers believe you are better than most of the idiots who play at driving cars?

Or are you in fact a bunch of knuckle dragging Neanderthals who don’t/can’t/won’t understand that you are driving something that will not stop as quickly as a car but don’t give a ■■■■ anyway because you are a truck driver an therefore will bully anyone who gets in the way.

Well?

albion1971:
Personally I have my own way of dealing with them when it is possible and that involves making sure we have a little chat which the driver inevitably finds quite painful.

Yes dear I’m sure you would.

Actually I think you probably wouldn’t. I think we all know that your mantra is “safe is good, risk is bad, safe is good, risk is bad” and having a word would definitely involve risk. Or maybe you just said that in a vain attempt to alter the mental image we all have of you, you know, make yourself a little less John Major and a little more John Thaw?

Btw, I’m grateful that you took the time to post as I appreciate that you’re very busy with the start-up of your new retail outlet “Albions world of beige- if it’s not beige it’s not worth knowing”, and I wish you every success with it, unfortunately your web based service Trucking Woes, Albions Tips (acronym for the hard of thinking) didn’t fare so well.

To the op, I agree that there are numpties out there who shouldn’t be in charge of a drinks trolley, never mind a truck. I do think though that if I’d been in the same situation with my family in the car I’d have removed myself from the situation by either pulling into a layby (one thing the A17 aint short of) or accelerated and overtaken at least one vehicle to put him in between us.

As a matter of interest, did not a single car get too close to you on your journey? If so, there are numerous car forums that you can complain on. A quick Google search should help.

Jamieg:
Well?

Sorry Sir, are you addressing the whole class, or are we to answer individually?

Looks like school’s out for summer.

the maoster:

Jamieg:
Well?

Sorry Sir, are you addressing the whole class, or are we to answer individually?

Looks like school’s out for summer.[/]

Not bothered really.

Maybe one of you will come up with something sensible to say, but from what I’ve read so far I doubt it.

I think that the “profession” has got to the point where it pays peanuts and therefore gets peanut eaters doing the work. Which is why there are so many trucks running into each other and doing stupid things like tailgating.

There isn’t an excuse for that kind of behaviour from a truck driver and anyone who says there is obviously likes peanuts.

As for school being out, well that would explain some of the comments on here.

Jamieg:
All in all it boils down to this;

Do you as professional drivers believe you are better than most of the idiots who play at driving cars?

I would like to think I’m better than any idiot who plays at driving, are we talking those that need windscreenwipers on the inside. But if its a sensible person driving a car I would consider myself slightly above average but not perfect.

Or are you in fact a bunch of knuckle dragging Neanderthals who don’t/can’t/won’t understand that you are driving something that will not stop as quickly as a car but don’t give a [zb] anyway because you are a truck driver an therefore will bully anyone who gets in the way.

Well?

Is this a rhetorical question?. Anyway I can’t speak for everyone but I would like to think that a large majority of truck drivers don’t live up to your stereotype. In fact the first thing I was taught was never to use the size of my vehicle to intimidate other road users, then another course to imagine other vehicles as flesh and bone rather than steel and glass, count to 10 when someone does something stupid. I’m not infallable though and have made mistakes and performed manouvers I’m not proud of (nothing life threatening though).

Sorry princess but it appears you have had a bad experience with a truck that has put you in this frame of mind and pidgeon holing us all. I just hope we can change your perspective somewhat in the future.

Ironically get me behind the wheel of a car and I’m a right nutter. :wink:

You’re not Albion’s long lost twin are you?

FarnboroughBoy11:
You’re not Albion’s long lost twin are you?

No I’m not I actually think most truck drivers are a step above the idiots in cars. I just hate to see what should be a skilled profession devalued by numpties.

Most of the time I’d rather share the road with trucks than the “40 Mph” everywhere or the mobile chicanes who do 50 on motorways but there does seem to be an increasing number of truck drivers who use the vehicles to bully cars.

Not all car drivers need to be pigeonholed either.

albion1971:

dazteahan:
I made sure I had room to get out of trouble if needed, speeding up to the next line of traffic sitting at about 50 would of made it worse as I would of been boxed in. What is worrying is that some so called professional drivers seem to regard this as perfectly acceptable behaviour!

I

You will not get much sympathy on here for being tailgated.You would think being a professional truck drivers forum all drivers would agree that the only person at blame was the tailgater.
But you are to blame as well for not getting yourself out of the situation which as you have explained is not always possible.
Yes if there is a layby you can pull in but we all know how few laybys there are on some roads but why should you have to do that(apart from keeping yourself and your family safe) when you are doing nothing wrong.
The point is you are completely in the right and the truckdriver is completely in the wrong and these ignorant morons need taking off our roads asap.They are the ones that cause many horrendous accidents with their selfish driving.

^^^ this^^^

FarnboroughBoy11:

dazteahan:

FarnboroughBoy11:

I am gaining on a large line of traffic? so I let someone bully me into catching said line, then he catches up and pushes again?

Not at all, he is a ■■■■ for tailgating, but do the speed limit which is 60. I personally don’t think he would have been tailgating you if you were keeping up with traffic.

What a load of zbing tosh. First of all the OP car driver can do whatever speed he likes within reason. Secondly most car speedos will read 60mph when they are actually only doing 55mph … maybe that’s where the problem stems from. But seeing as the OP’s nightmare happened on a single carriage road then the lorry tailgating should have been doing 40mph no ifs no buts. If your company can’t make a profit unless you break the speed limit then they deserve to fold.

Just remember a car is 20 x more mass than a human. A lorry is 20 x more mass than a car.

Squiddy:

FarnboroughBoy11:

dazteahan:

FarnboroughBoy11:

What a load of zbing tosh. First of all the OP car driver can do whatever speed he likes within reason. Secondly most car speedos will read 60mph when they are actually only doing 55mph … maybe that’s where the problem stems from. But seeing as the OP’s nightmare happened on a single carriage road then the lorry tailgating should have been doing 40mph no ifs no buts. If your company can’t make a profit unless you break the speed limit then they deserve to fold.

Just remember a car is 20 x more mass than a human. A lorry is 20 x more mass than a car.

Cheers for that, I’ll bear it in mind.

dazteahan:
If I had been alone in the car a brake check may of been in order just to get knobs like him off the road! but I would never of done it with my kids & Mrs in car!

What a stupid thing to put :unamused: :unamused:

By the way it’s - have! not of

Brake test me and you will be hit, although my distance should be comfortable for you!

FarnboroughBoy11:

Squiddy:

FarnboroughBoy11:

dazteahan:

FarnboroughBoy11:

You are very welcome… as long as you do bear it in mind.

I would hate for you to be the one who turns a family in to pate simply cos they should have been doing 60mph. Course it’s your right to control the road and dictate how fast you should be allowed to roll. After all who would know better other than you. Certainly not a car driver who only has a B licence and doesn’t have a clue.

I’ll be watching out for drivers like you.

Squiddy:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Squiddy:

FarnboroughBoy11:

dazteahan:

FarnboroughBoy11:

You are very welcome… as long as you do bear it in mind.

I would hate for you to be the one who turns a family in to pate simply cos they should have been doing 60mph. Course it’s your right to control the road and dictate how fast you should be allowed to roll. After all who would know better other than you. Certainly not a car driver who only has a B licence and doesn’t have a clue.

I’ll be watching out for drivers like you.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: what you going on about you dipstick!!!
Why are you assuming I tailgate people?
Queer fella.

Queer fellah? ■■■■■■■■■ should have nothing to do with this argument and in fact I am angry you clearly think i am homosexual just because I happen to stick to the speed limit. People like you wreck this industry, but because you have a high number of posts people round here have started to respect your opinion not based on fact, just based on the number of posts you have made.

You work from uckfield, my home town, and from guildford (a few miles away) i WILL be keeping my eye on you I don’t think you should be allowed to drive a go kart let alone an hgv.

unfortunately mate for the one nasty story you,ve got most of us driving for a living can better it by a mile with the arrogance and total disregard shown by car drivers, cyclists, pedestrians ect who we have to avoid every day of the week.

with no bull ■■■■■ or big ego intended i have prevented, on average, 10 serious accidents everyday i have driven a truck from the stupidity of others, in particular car drivers who engage first gear and switch of brain then release handbrake.
i think that you,ve caught a person (car driver, truck driver, motorcyclist, there all potential killers to you and yours) on a bad day, we do all have them and although i dont condone this drivers actions be aware that proffessional drivers put up with stupidity all the time.

Yeah that’s true, but Farnboro boy has been getting on my moobs for ages now and I just had to attack him.

Don’t blame him for waiting to see how the rest of this forum reacts first before compiling a reply.

Squiddy:
Queer fellah? ■■■■■■■■■ should have nothing to do with this argument and in fact I am angry you clearly think i am homosexual just because I happen to stick to the speed limit. People like you wreck this industry, but because you have a high number of posts people round here have started to respect your opinion not based on fact, just based on the number of posts you have made.

You work from uckfield, my home town, and from guildford (a few miles away) i WILL be keeping my eye on you I don’t think you should be allowed to drive a go kart let alone an hgv.

Oh ferchrissakes where is Robk when you need a popcorn emoticon?