Tailgating !

Here’s a message to all car drivers in the north east US …
Driving very fast at the rear of my truck will not make me move out of the way. Driving behind me flashing your headlights will probably make me go even slower :laughing:

I hate it when I am nearing a slow moving vehicle, look in my mirror to se a car at normal speed a fair way back travelling at average speed, I put on the signal and start to move out and pass the slow vehicle… Imediately the car in the mirror speeds up and rushes at the rear of my trailer, it’s like the driver actually thinks doing so will make me change my mind and pull back behind the slower vehicle ? … It won’t and if the car driver wishes to rear end my truck, hitting the stainless steel 4 inch thick bumper causing a scratch but probably totalling his or her car they are welcome :laughing:

Pat Hasler:

And to all those in the UK and probably just about everywhere else …

ROG:

Pat Hasler:

Not quite ROG, the ones over the pond really do the most stupid things.

mickfly:

ROG:

Pat Hasler:

Not quite ROG, the ones over the pond really do the most stupid things.

Like aproaching a coned off lane at 50 mph and see a car trying to get past even after the cones have started to taper off, there can be only 3 feet left and they still try to kill themselves, there is no reason for it other than they don’t look any farther than about 6 feet in front of their car :open_mouth:

Or the car behind a truck which just passed me… the truck didn’t pull back in within 6 feet of passing me so the car goes to undertake, even though the truck has put his flasher on. The car goes gunning up the inside of the truck!
I’ve seen that move most days since I’ve been back.
I must admit, I would make that driver stand on his brakes as I would move into the lane regardless.

Like most UK truck drivers I was under the false impression that British car drivers were terrible and I’d seen it all etc…How litle did I know what was in store for me on my arrival in Canada once I’d been sent south of the border and in to the US.
It begs belief that a human being with a pulse is capable of such horrendous lack of driving ability, combined with the most selfish, self centred and petty minded mentality I have ever come across. Anywhere in the US can be bad but Massachussetts and Connecticut get my vote for being the worst, followed closely behind by parts of neighbouring states such as New Jersey and parts of New York. Another of my hates is going any where near Washington DC. Basically anything on the I95 corridor from Portland, Maine to Richmond, Virginia is bad news and that USED to be where I did the vast majority of my US driving, thankfully not any longer.

British and European car drivers are experts behind the wheel compared to 95% of the morons who inhabit the NE corner of the USA.

I think the one overriding problem in North America is the cruise control.
People will not adjust it from their chosen speed, even if it takes them (or you) 15 miles to overtake.

mickfly:
People will not adjust it from their chosen speed, even if it takes them (or you) 15 miles to overtake.

Yes I do think that is a big issue also.

robinhood_1984:

mickfly:

My new truck has Collision avoidence system, when in cruise it runs the same speed as any vehicle in my lane that is less than 250ft in front, if that vehicle slows up so does my truck, if it speeds up so does my truck.
When it is not in cruise it advises me the speed of any vehicle in my lane within 300 ft and as I found out on US1 south of Philly ast weds afternoon when some idiot cuts in front and hits the brakes my truck slams on the brakes too and almost puts me through the windshield.

Pat Hasler:

robinhood_1984:

mickfly:

My new truck has Collision avoidence system, when in cruise it runs the same speed as any vehicle in my lane that is less than 250ft in front, if that vehicle slows up so does my truck, if it speeds up so does my truck.
When it is not in cruise it advises me the speed of any vehicle in my lane within 300 ft and as I found out on US1 south of Philly ast weds afternoon when some idiot cuts in front and hits the brakes my truck slams on the brakes too and almost puts me through the windshield.

Does that happen only when you have it selected? It would be deadly on slick roads!