Tail lifts and max weights

How much weight is a driver allowed to move with a pump pallet truck,some drops are over a ton,the boss says it is what the tail lift can take which is allowed.

toby1234abc:
How much weight is a driver allowed to move with a pump pallet truck,some drops are over a ton,the boss says it is what the tail lift can take which is allowed.

Well, you should never move more than you can comfortably move, someone like me could move more than say an 8st female for example, or that kid on the stobarts show - remember him, with the tesco cages.

Also, a lot depends on the surface, shifting animal feed on a gravel surface at a farm is a no no, and a lot depends on technique.

A lot of pump trucks are rated between 1.25 and 2.5 tonnes, and they’re designed to be moved by a person, but that doesn’t mean that everyone would be capable everywhere.

Use your head, if it’s getting too difficult, stop, ask for help, if help is refused, barge the pallet over, take your truck and go :smiling_imp:

Bo**cks! It’s what you can comfortably move. Obviously if it’s sloping or whatever more care would be needed as well as more effort. I bet the wagon is loaded by forklift or ppt! Tell your boss he is more than welcome to come out with you and demonstrate how to do it with the available equipment in a safe manner. Will he pay you if you suffer a hernia or strained/damaged back? Somehow I doubt he/they would! Just an opinion.

All down to the kit really. Obviously a full height cantilever lift and a good quality pump truck is dead easy, tends to be column tail-lifts. ropey pump truck and suspension you can’t level where the fun starts.

But technique is a big part once you get used to it it’s surprising how much you can get on and off. Make sure no-one ever stands at the back of the vehicle while you’re using the tail-lift and places like busy high streets are a nightmare with pedestrians. Places like paper merchants dump heavy pallets by tail-lift here there and everywhere.