Tail Lift Training

Has anybody on here ever done any Tail Lift Training?
If yes what did it involve, how long did it take and how much did it cost?

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome shamus :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

shamus:
Has anybody on here ever done any Tail Lift Training?
If yes what did it involve, how long did it take and how much did it cost?

This type of training is usually done in-house as there are many different sorts

If you get a job that involves using a tail lift then make it known to the company that you have never operated one and the onus is then on that company to ensure you are told how to use it safely.

I have never come across a ‘tail lift course’ anywhere

The nearest to tail lift training I have done was to show a trainee how the tail lift operated on the training vehicle I was using at the time - a requirement in case the examiner asked about it. Other than that, as Rog suggests it is up to your employer to make sure you have adequate training.

1. Push up button to go up.

2. Push down button to go down.

3. If the lift has flaps or bars to keep stuff in place use them.

4. Try to keep the goods nearer to the vehicle end of the board. Less chance of stuff falling of the board and that is where the board can lift the most weight.

5. Be aware some lifts will tilt down a little as they start to descend and if the goods are on wheels they will move. (See number 3)

6. If the lift also has tilt buttons tilting it up slightly before hitting the down button will avoid number 5.

7. If something does decide to leave the lift early let it, DO NOT try to stop it. I saw someone break the fall of a 750 Kg computer cabinet by getting between it and the pavement, it wasn’t a pretty sight. Broken pelvis, broken shoulder, broken ribs, broken leg and arm and one year before returning to work.

8. Be aware of foot operated control buttons and don’t accidentally stand on them. They do usually require standing on two buttons at the same time and double tapping one but accidental operation does happen.

9. Always make sure the lift is stowed properly before moving off and any switches are in the off position.

10. That’s it really, you can have that training course for free. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

4. Try to keep the goods nearer to the vehicle end of the board. Less chance of stuff falling of the board and that is where the board can lift the most weight.

5. Be aware some lifts will tilt down a little as they start to descend and if the goods are on wheels they will move. (See number 3)

6. If the lift also has tilt buttons tilting it up slightly before hitting the down button will avoid number 5.

7. If something does decide to leave the lift early let it, DO NOT try to stop it. I saw someone break the fall of a 750 Kg computer cabinet by getting between it and the pavement, it wasn’t a pretty sight. Broken pelvis, broken shoulder, broken ribs, broken leg and arm and one year before returning to work.

8. Be aware of foot operated control buttons and don’t accidentally stand on them. They do usually require standing on two buttons at the same time and double tapping one but accidental operation does happen.

9. Always make sure the lift is stowed properly before moving off and any switches are in the off position.

10. That’s it really, you can have that training course for free. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure I’ve operated tail lifts with 3 or 4 buttons in a box on the side of a truck that require the dexterity of a concert pianist! You make it sound so simple.

Is that FREE training the same for all types of tail lift :question:

Smart Mart:

Coffeeholic:

I’m sure I’ve operated tail lifts with 3 or 4 buttons in a box on the side of a truck that require the dexterity of a concert pianist! You make it sound so simple.

There are, and that is covered in the bit where mentioned tilt buttons. It is simple, but then again I spent 20 years using tail-lift trailers so it is simple.

ROG:
Is that FREE training the same for all types of tail lift :question:

Yes, there are a couple of extra buttons for the fold away under slung type but they are easy to work out.

In my last job I was the ‘lucky one’ who had to give the tail-lift training as part of the vehicle familiarisation training package.

The main points are well covered above apart from the one main thing that candidates might fail their assessment on; before operating the tail-lift check the area for pedestrians/other workers! According to ‘statistics’, there are more [tail-lift] injuries from people being hit by a lowering tail-lift (mainly applied to the cantilever type) or walking into an already lowered tail-lift, than falling-off one. :open_mouth: