Tag axle lowloader dilemma

Going back to driving full time in march and have been asked to spec anew tractor low loader outfit.( lucky me!!!) Driving a volvo midlift/ King lowloader combo as relief driver at present. Would a tag axle be better?
The basic set up is as follows-:
Volvo FH13 480 Globetrotter.
King GT44/3 low loader.
I shift gearbox.
Does anybody have expierience of this or similar set up in tag or midlift variations? Would appreciate views and comments so I can make up my own mind before meeting with Volvo on friday.

imo the tag wins hands down over a twin steer (or in volvo’s case) a pusher axle, for any work especially low loader work, traction and turning circle is outstanding compaired to a midlift :unamused:

I’m told the ride on a tag is poor when empty. As we usually bulk out before reaching full weight is it a back breaker to run with the tag up as I do know on the midlift?

back when it was dirty great big metal springs but when on air you dont notice it so much.

Difficult to give a definitive answer since everyone you ask will give a different answer, operating conditions (geographically & nature of work) will make a difference. I would go for a mid lift, in the long term the mid lift may have the edge when it comes to residual value. I’ve had dealings with Volvo Southampton in the past and found them to be very helpful though must be said not all dealers are the same.

Tiger.

Go for double drive that’ll solve it all. :smiling_imp:

I think I’ve only ever driven a Tag axle once. Usual checks and never noticed the difference. :blush:

Hitched up to an empty trailer and, on leaving the yard, hit the ‘lift’ switch. Got a few hundred yards down the road, a newly laid road with a flat surface, and I felt I was emulating the Churchill dog. :confused:

Stopped. Got out and saw why. The axle then went down and stayed there. :wink:

Why ‘spec’ new, especially in the current financial climate, when there are a wide selection of ex-Innov@ate units that have gone ‘off hire’ that fulfill your criteria?

After all, They haven’t had a hard life. :wink: And the essential servicing was never skimped.

I’d be looking at second hand and seeking to turn some of the savings into extra personal income. :slight_smile:

Whilst the majority will be YN57 registrations, some of them will be YN08.

With some of the latter ones, they didn’t even get round to fitting telephones (and in many cases, some of the earlier ones. :laughing: ) therefore you wouldn’t even have to contend with superfluous dashboard drillings. :wink:

why get second hand though? hes not paying for it !

Fastrantiger:
Difficult to give a definitive answer since everyone you ask will give a different answer, operating conditions (geographically & nature of work) will make a difference. I would go for a mid lift, in the long term the mid lift may have the edge when it comes to residual value. I’ve had dealings with Volvo Southampton in the past and found them to be very helpful though must be said not all dealers are the same.

Tiger.

Tag axels hold value better than mid lifts.

Krankee:
I think I’ve only ever driven a Tag axle once. Usual checks and never noticed the difference. :blush:

Hitched up to an empty trailer and, on leaving the yard, hit the ‘lift’ switch. Got a few hundred yards down the road, a newly laid road with a flat surface, and I felt I was emulating the Churchill dog. :confused:

Stopped. Got out and saw why. The axle then went down and stayed there. :wink:

Why ‘spec’ new, especially in the current financial climate, when there are a wide selection of ex-Innov@ate units that have gone ‘off hire’ that fulfill your criteria?

After all, They haven’t had a hard life. :wink: And the essential servicing was never skimped.

My mate told me that these trucks were driven by some folks who do dodgy Churchill dog impersonations… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:open_mouth: Don’t know where he got that idea though… :wink: :sunglasses:

TBF though, it was a clean and tidy looking fleet. :smiley:

8 legger:

Fastrantiger:

Tiger.

Tag axels hold value better than mid lifts.

here here, the market is floded with mid lifts, there’s a big second hand market for tag’s by all the waste boys as they keep gettin stuck in the tips in midlifts :unamused:

Thanks for your opinions genlemen, Just got to convince the boss that ally wheels look better than steel. Look out for the blue globetrotter in march.

Jonni c:
Just got to convince the boss that ally wheels look better than steel.

that wont cut the mustard fella bosses will only see the payload advantage when you put the weight saving figures on the table :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing:

Oh well, you can’t have everything. Sadly had to sacrifice the microwave but kept the built in fridge. Boss insisted on MP3 connectivity and dual camera reversing system. Went for the tag over the midlift, hope it is a good decision.
And by the way I won’t be chippin’ rust off my shiny new DURABRITE ALCOAS in years to come.
Work for an image concious firm and you only have to ask.

wow you done well, whats the delivery time on it? look forward to seein pictures of a mota that a driver spec’d :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

the way they are giving them away at the moment you could probably have it next week

Got to wait 12 very very very long weeks. Hope to be on the road mid march so it will be on an 09 plate . Thanks again for all comments, it’s not an easy decision when there are so many options. Pictures will be posted as soon as.