Tacograph your days driving

sry guys and dolls but could sombody explain to me what way you operate your tacograph threw your day, ie breaks etc, when to take them etc, i didnt come across any tacographs questions when i did my theory test, and wasnt told about it in my lgv training, i have mod 4 coming up soon, and will be on road soon, well when finally do get a job and if do pass mod 4 :laughing: , any help be much apprecated, hope im not the only one has this problem :blush: , thanxs guys

The rules say that you should not drive for more than 4.5 hours. After this you must take an uninterrupted break of at least 45 minutes, unless you take a rest within the driving period.

According to the rules, during a ā€˜breakā€™ a driver may not drive or do any other work and must use this time only to rest. You may take a break in a moving vehicle, provided that you do no other work.

Alternatively, instead of taking a full 45 minute break every 4.5 hours, you can take two breaks within a 4.5 hour period. The first must be at least 15 minutes, followed by another of at least 30 minutes.

Breaks of less than 15 minutes will not contribute towards a qualifying break, but will also not count as duty or driving time. The EU rules will only allow a split-break pattern if the second break is at least 30 minutes.

If you are a driver, and you take a 45 minute break, or qualifying breaks totalling 45 minutes, before or at the end of a 4.5 hour driving period, then you will ā€˜wipe the slate cleanā€™. This means that the next 4.5 hour period begins when you have finished that qualifying break. When assessing break requirements for the new 4.5 hour period, you cannot count driving time that has mounted up before this point.

You may also need to take regular breaks under the separate Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005. For more information, see our guide on driversā€™ hours rules: the basics. businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ā€¦ 1082144445

In the meantime, use this Digital Tachograph Simulator as a guide to get yourself underway for when you get your first commercial drive. :slight_smile:

fomento.gob.es/transportes/s ā€¦ modem.html

thanxs vry much sam really apprecate it m8t :wink:

For what itā€™s worth, I always wait until the clock on the tacho goes into itā€™s 46th minute of the break and then pull away just to be on the safe side, shortly after the drive time clock on the tacho machine should reset itself.

To pull up this menu on the tachograph simulator, press the down arrow.

Youā€™re welcome. :wink:

Hi, Sam,

I am posting this, rather than sending a pm, just in case anyone else is having the same problem.

When I click on the YouTube link, it takes me to the clips, but says that the owner of the content hasnā€™t made it available to mobile users, which is how I am trying to view it.

Are there any settings you could change, please, in order to make the clips available for mobile users to watch?

I can watch other YouTube clips on my phone and this is the first time I have experienced this.

Many thanks, in advance! :slight_smile:

Ooh, sorry,

I forgot to mention itā€™s the links on your personal signature, that I am having a challenge with! :blush:

LoadsOfHorses:
Hi, Sam,

I am posting this, rather than sending a pm, just in case anyone else is having the same problem.

When I click on the YouTube link, it takes me to the clips, but says that the owner of the content hasnā€™t made it available to mobile users, which is how I am trying to view it.

Are there any settings you could change, please, in order to make the clips available for mobile users to watch?

I can watch other YouTube clips on my phone and this is the first time I have experienced this.

Many thanks, in advance! :slight_smile:

Sorry about that, Iā€™m not entirely sure why to be honest :open_mouth: Iā€™ll look in to it but in the mean time, if your mobile browser enables you to edit the URL (link) for the page youā€™re viewing then try adding ā€œm.ā€ before youtube.com ie: ā€œm.youtube.comā€.

Edit: Iā€™ve had a look at the privacy settings on all the videos and they are all enabled for mobile viewers to be able to view them. It does say under that option however that it may not be available on some devices due to copyright or licencing issues. I can watch them on my iPhone4 so Iā€™m unaware as to what device youā€™re using obviously but I guess thatā€™s maybe why. :frowning:

More frequent, and proper videos will be getting recorded soon when I land myself a full class 1 job, just donā€™t fancy sticking the camera to the side of the bin lorry in case the crew think iā€™m mad. :laughing:

follow the link, this helped me a lot whilst getting to grips with things.

:wink:

thanxs wdf :wink:

Thanks, Sam :slight_smile:

I am with Sam on the extra min bit, I always go 16, 31 or 46 mins on breaks just to be certain.

welder:
I am with Sam on the extra min bit, I always go 16, 31 or 46 mins on breaks just to be certain.

You only need 15 30 or 45 mins. Once a digital tacho shows this it canā€™t go backwards.

Although personally iā€™m a 25 40 or 60 minute man :wink:

4whatitsworth:

welder:

You only need 15 30 or 45 mins. Once a digital tacho shows this it canā€™t go backwards.

I agree that with a digital tachograph you donā€™t need to add any minutes on as long as you take the break duration from the appropriate screen display, unfortunately there still seem to be some drivers who insist on calculating the break duration themselves :confused:

On an analogue tachograph I always allow a couple of minutes onto a break.

Can i just clarify please in case iā€™m being a bit thick?

When working multi drop stop start, if i dont actually drive for 4.5 hours i can go till 6 hours and then must take a break of a minimum of 45 mins.

in other words, if iā€™ve only actually driven say 3.5 hours total I have a rest at 6 hours.

Sorry to sound thick but we all start somewhere

Madguy :imp:

madguy:

When working multi drop stop start, if i dont actually drive for 4.5 hours i can go till 6 hours and then must take a break of a minimum of 45 mins.

in other words, if iā€™ve only actually driven say 3.5 hours total I have a rest at 6 hours.

When you reach 6 hours working time, if you have not reached 4.5 hours driving time you should have a break of at-least 15 minutes.

This 15 minute break will also count as the first part of a split break for the tachograph regulations (assuming youā€™ve done some driving), you would then need to have another break of at-least 30 minutes before exceeding 4.5 hours driving time.

I canā€™t speak for anyone else but as this is the new and wannabe drivers forum I fail to see how any reasonable question could make you sound thick :wink:

tachograph:

madguy:

When you reach 6 hours working time, if you have not reached 4.5 hours driving time you should have a break of at-least 15 minutes.

This 15 minute break will also count as the first part of a split break for the tachograph regulations (assuming youā€™ve done some driving), you would then need to have another break of at-least 30 minutes before exceeding 4.5 hours driving time.

I canā€™t speak for anyone else but as this is the new and wannabe drivers forum I fail to see how any reasonable question could make you sound thick :wink:

So do you show the WTD break by selecting break on the tacho unit?

Yes.

tachograph:

madguy:

I only say that as on some threads people have been ridiculed for asking questions that long term drivers take for granted that everyone should know.

Thanks for the advice and putting it right in my head