Tacograph Question

Just a quick question.

If there is 2 of you in a truck, and 1 card per slot on the taco, can slot 2 be assigned to driver, whilst slot 1 is put to POA or other work?

I’m training on the tanks, and one of the mentors reckons I can drive on slot 2, whereas all the other trainers think the cards need swapping round.

So, who is right?!

When I have done this we have always swapped cards as you cant drive on slot 2

Slot 1 is for the driver slot 2 for the person not driving.

Endgame:
Just a quick question.

If there is 2 of you in a truck, and 1 card per slot on the taco, can slot 2 be assigned to driver, whilst slot 1 is put to POA or other work?

I’m training on the tanks, and one of the mentors reckons I can drive on slot 2, whereas all the other trainers think the cards need swapping round.

So, who is right?!

Slot 2 automatically defaults to POA as soon as the vehicle moves so if you are driving with your card in slot 2 you would be committing the offence of not recording your driving time, but worse than that, with your card in slot 2 while you’re driving you would be driving on your colleagues driver card.

If you choose to do that please feel free to say hello to the TC for me when you meet :wink:

The regulations are clear, you put your card in slot 1 while you’re driving and the second drivers card goes in slot 2, when you change over drivers you also change over the cards, the drivers driver card always goes in slot 1 and the person who isn’t driving has his card in slot 2.

Funny this should come up,a few weeks ago I was double manned with a agency guy,I started the driving then once my 4:30 was up we swapped over,I gave him the keys while I went the toilets…when I got back I asked if he had swapped cards over and he said there was no need to,to which I replied that there is a need too because of basically what’s stated in previous posts in this thread…yet he was adamant that we didn’t need to to which I replied we weren’t going anywhere til he swapped cards because MY card was still in slot 1.
So he swapped them over in a right huff and barely spoke all the way back,apart from the odd grumble about how he has NEVER swapped cards before when he has been out double manned…feel sorry for anyone who has had the pleasure of going on a run with him in the past as they will have a few infringements and quite possibly be liable for any speeding tickets ect if there card never left slot 1 even when he was driving.

Good job I cleared that up!

Not actually driven with my card in slot 2, was just having a debate about it - now I know not to do it!

Thanks for clearing that up people!

Many years ago.I double manned to Portsmouth and we both thought that the tacho had enough capability judging by the size of it that we never thought about the need to swap cards.

How we laughed and how wrong we was.

The simple rule is. If your behind the wheel slot 1.
If your in the passenger seat slot 2.

nick2008:

Are we still on about tachos here?! :smiley:

ckm1981:

nick2008:

Are we still on about tachos here?! :smiley:

Yeah… I was gonna make a comment about slot 3 and 4 but didn’t want to lower the tone :wink: