Taco question

Been on digi since they came out with no problems but yesterday had brand new truck when I got in it this morning my driving hours from yesterday after my break came up so I started today with 3 hours driving why?

mac12:
Been on digi since they came out with no problems but yesterday had brand new truck when I got in it this morning my driving hours from yesterday after my break came up so I started today with 3 hours driving why?

Because you didn’t tell the tacho you had a daily rest when doing your manual entries first thing in the morning. This is what you need to do on the new ones.

I always do a manual entry to say what work I have done after taking my card out usually about 15 minutes same in a morning so I now need to put my rest down.

The new 1.4 machines want you to account for all the time your card is not inserted.
If it hadn’t reset your drive time then you will also get an infringement for insufficient daily rest as none will have been logged.
It’s not crime of the century as many drivers have done the exact same thing with the new machines and you’d expect any DVSA examiner to be aware of this.

Edit - as long as it’s not a daily occurrence

mac12:
I always do a manual entry to say what work I have done after taking my card out usually about 15 minutes same in a morning so I now need to put my rest down.

Yes it will prompt you to tell it what you done after you finished the day before and before you started your shift in between the 2 manual entries that you are doing correctly.

mac12:

Yes, on the new type digital tachographs you put the manual entry in for the end of the last shift then continue it for the rest period before putting any manual entries for before starting the current shift.

In this video he says you should use the ? for the daily rest period, in fact you can use the bed symbol for the rest period, the ? symbol is for unaccounted time that you can’t do a manual entry for, such as if you did a shift on an analogue tachograph.

tachograph:
In this video he says you should use the ? for the daily rest period

De Ja Vue Tachograph :slight_smile:

So they’ve made the new ones crapper & more complicated/long winded/not Apple UI is what we’re saying.

I disagree SS, I prefer the newer ones, they’re so easy to use and don’t rob you of your driving time.

Silver_Surfer:
So they’ve made the new ones crapper & more complicated/long winded/not Apple UI is what we’re saying.

Absolutely not. Firstly the manual entries are easy once you know how.

But most importantly is the way it calculates driving time. I rocked up at an rdc on Friday with 10 minutes driving left and there was about 10 trucks in front of me. A sure fire infringement on the old units but creeping through the queue was recorded as 7 minutes of other work leaving me my full 10 mins to drop trailer and park up. That would’ve been 7 minutes driving on an old unit.

tachograph:
symbol is for unaccounted time that you can’t do a manual entry for, such as if you did a shift on an analogue tachograph.

I was going to say… what about when you do work on an analogue ? since you would be tech making a false record… but that clears that up.

Thanks for your advice did has you said and everything fine this morning.

I always use ? for the time in between shifts as in the UK any time in between shifts is automatically assumed to be rest. From GV262 …

The period of time unaccounted for between successive charts produced by a driver should normally be regarded as (unless there is evidence to the contrary) a rest period when drivers are able to dispose freely of their time. In the UK, drivers are not expected to account for this period, unless enforcement authorities have reason to believe that they were working.

And seeing as I have to work out all my WTD hours myself having the digi unit tell me how much break I’ve done that day makes more sense for me. If I use bed it adds the previous daily rest to my break time for that day.

I stand corrected! I just thought they may have made you jump through more hoops before you can actually get it rolling.

I know they record time better.

Manual entries much quicker once you know how to use them. You can select the hours and minutes independently so you don’t have to sit there pushing up/down repeatedly to get to the right time.

m1cks:
Manual entries much quicker once you know how to use them. You can select the hours and minutes independently so you don’t have to sit there pushing up/down repeatedly to get to the right time.

Is another reason I prefer the new units :smiley: