Taco advice

Dunnage:
Thanks, Franglais.
Duty all night - yes
Moved by someone else - yes
I’ll do the printouts and annotate the back.
I’ve made a ‘checklist’ so when the guys pester me for paperwork on my return I’ll not make the same mistake again (hopefully!)

Everyone thinks their little bit of the job is more urgent than yours, at a lot of places the office wants papers, FLT driver wants the side open, someone else wants XYZ. When youre new to a company it is different. When youre new to driving it is even more stressful.
*Easier said than done when youre new*, but try to do it in your own time. Youll be rite.

I bought a Digicard reader off of amazon and downloaded an app so I can download the data from the card to my phone, its pretty good and was amazed at how much data the card holds, 56 days, which I didn’t realise, as I always thought it was a rolling 28!!

Dunnage:
Thanks, Franglais.
Duty all night - yes
Moved by someone else - yes
I’ll do the printouts and annotate the back.
I’ve made a ‘checklist’ so when the guys pester me for paperwork on my return I’ll not make the same mistake again (hopefully!)

You want to have an end of day routine, do the same everyday so before you leave the cab you’ve ejected the card!!! Thats what I now do, like others have said when you’re new it can be overwhelming!!

Stephenjp:
I bought a Digicard reader off of amazon and downloaded an app so I can download the data from the card to my phone, its pretty good and was amazed at how much data the card holds, 56 days, which I didn’t realise, as I always thought it was a rolling 28!!

Only 56 days?
Maybe that reader won’t go back further? My bet, too much of a coincidence 56 is twice 28.
Maybe your card is rammed full of stop/start?
Put card in vehicle, press for printout, to select date just keep scrolling back, on mine it goes back for months, well over 56 days. No need to print it, just look at the dates.
28 days is what is looked at in a roadside check.
Nothing is erased by date, but older stuff is overwritten as the card becomes full. Do lots of easy days and you’ll have year on there.

Franglais:

Stephenjp:

Only 56 days?
Maybe that reader won’t go back further? My bet, too much of a coincidence 56 is twice 28.
Maybe your card is rammed full of stop/start?
Put card in vehicle, press for printout, to select date just keep scrolling back, on mine it goes back for months, well over 56 days. No need to print it, just look at the dates.
28 days is what is looked at in a roadside check.
Nothing is erased by date, but older stuff is overwritten as the card becomes full. Do lots of easy days and you’ll have year on there.

I just had another look at the app, it actually goes back to 9th June, if you click on “whole period”, but like you said you can scroll through the menu on the tacho head!!

Dunnage:
For me the CPC is a good idea that is poorly executed, if it is CPD then there should be an assessment at the end of the day.

Yes it can often be poorly executed, but the JAUPT auditors/assessors/whatever they want to call themselves today, who sometimes sit in on courses don’t seem to care about the things they ought to care about.

All they are interested in is:
Did it start on time?
If anyone was late was it written down how late they were?
Did the trainer scrutinise the licences to make sure the guys on the course matched the licence pictures?
Did the trainer do the H&S stuff like where the fire exits and toilets are?
Did they tell candidates when and how long the breaks were?
Did the the trainer demonstrate the variety (there’s at least four they like to see) of “professional questioning techniques”?
And finally, did the trainer keep to the timings on the lesson plan?
If all those boxes are ticked, the trainer gets a thumbs up until the next time.

Re assessments, ideally several should be distributed throughout the day rather than one at the end, but the trainer is expected to be seen using the above mentioned questioning techniques to “test for transfer of knowledge” all through the day and is supposed to use these as a manner of assessment.

Stephenjp:

What software do you use? I’ve seen a EUR2.99 subscription but would prefer to buy (or have free!) the software.

This appears to be FOC
tachomaster.co.uk/download/

Thanks Zac_A. I looked at that one - it is free to download, but costs £1 per driver per week. If it’s any good I don’t mind paying for it. Has anyone got any experience of using it?

Dunnage:

Stephenjp:

What software do you use? I’ve seen a EUR2.99 subscription but would prefer to buy (or have free!) the software.

I have the “Tachogram” reader their app is subscription, but I’m using the “Driver Card Reader” trial version for 33 days and the full version is £5.99!!

Zac_A:
This appears to be FOC
tachomaster.co.uk/download/

Thats not a reader on the phone, it has gps and will record when driving and stopped for other work!!