Taco advice

simcor:

Bongobus11:
I’ve put a manual entry in to cover over 24 hours rest

The vehicle reader accepted and then has gone back to show my shift before yesterday with 4 hrs driving and 15 mins rest !!!

As I don’t want an infringement I’m taking half hour now but confused it’s done this

Also driving with occasional no card message appearing

?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll bet a pound to a dollar your accidentally selected other work instead of rest on your manual entry. Easily done by mistake.

That’s the only way it would be showing your last drive time and break.

So I figure you’ll have at least a couple of infringements, lack weekly rest for starters.

Been there done it myself and got about 6 infringements in one go.

If so sign the infringement and do 2 printouts write on back manual entry error and give one to company and keep one with you for 28 days.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I only do 2 shifts a week and last one this morning for 2 weeks so hopefully be in the clear [emoji2369]

Bongobus11:

simcor:

Bongobus11:

The vehicle reader accepted and then has gone back to show my shift before yesterday with 4 hrs driving and 15 mins rest !!!

As I don’t want an infringement I’m taking half hour now but confused it’s done this

?

I’ll bet a pound to a dollar your accidentally selected other work instead of rest on your manual entry. Easily done by mistake.

So I figure you’ll have at least a couple of infringements, lack weekly rest for starters.

If so sign the infringement and do 2 printouts write on back manual entry error and give one to company and keep one with you for 28 days.

I only do 2 shifts a week and last one this morning for 2 weeks so hopefully be in the clear [emoji2369]

It’s not a major drama of you haven’t recorded as rest as long as you do 2 printouts and write manual error entry on the backs and account for the rest on the trace boxes on printouts. Keep one with you for 28 days and one to company.

If you get stopped it will be obvious you’ve made a ■■■■ up to DVSA.

Like o said no drama just rectify it the only way you can. The company can also rectify some of it on tachomaster or whatever
software they use on the downloaded files, this won’t change the entries on your card but can minimise the a amount of infringements you get.

Speak to your compliance manager with printouts and they should be able to do something.

simcor:

Bongobus11:

simcor:

Bongobus11:

?

It’s not a major drama of you haven’t recorded as rest as long as you do 2 printouts and write manual error entry on the backs and account for the rest on the trace boxes on printouts. Keep one with you for 28 days and one to company.

If you get stopped it will be obvious you’ve made a ■■■■ up to DVSA.

Like o said no drama just rectify it the only way you can. The company can also rectify some of it on tachomaster or whatever
software they use on the downloaded files, this won’t change the entries on your card but can minimise the a amount of infringements you get.

Speak to your compliance manager with printouts and they should be able to do something.

Cheers Simcor [emoji106]

Bongobus11:
Was saying this after my manual entry when card is in machine and I’m driving

I’ve put down to dodgy tacho so defected it with the company

Let us know how it goes. I bet it’s more training required ( press ok to “driving without card”)

Hello all, I’ve got a really bone question. I’m going to start a C1 job with a brand new tacho card. I’ve read up and watched youtube videos on how to use the tachograph but I’m still not sure on the process. I understand that first thing I have to do is switch on the ignition, insert my card, let it sort itself out and then select ‘other work’ while I do my checks. My question is: do I need to start the engine or just turn the key to light up the dash? Is it OK to keep the ignition on when I do my checks?

Dunnage:
Hello all, I’ve got a really bone question. I’m going to start a C1 job with a brand new tacho card. I’ve read up and watched youtube videos on how to use the tachograph but I’m still not sure on the process. I understand that first thing I have to do is switch on the ignition, insert my card, let it sort itself out and then select ‘other work’ while I do my checks. My question is: do I need to start the engine or just turn the key to light up the dash? Is it OK to keep the ignition on when I do my checks?

Makes no difference engines running or not.

Prob best engine running eaaier see if any leaks also can turn heater on to warm.cab up before you set off.
Don’t forget card goes chip facing upwards and chip part goes in 1st .

Might get a few questions ie manual entry press no.
Rest to now press yes.
Then make sure it’s set to work mode and do your checks.
It’s not law and is my pet hate people who insist on it taking 15 mins.
People at our place do there checks take s them.say 9 mins then they sit and wait and wait untill 15 mins is up.

It takes as long as it takes be it 10 mins or 20 mins.
This weather be a good idea to invest in a led head torch. Cost about £10 from screwfix etc.be easier to see in the dark when you do your checks

Thanks ED, that’s really helpful.
It’s horrible not knowing and not being able to find simple stuff out.
I’m doing some C1 work to get some experience before I spend some time at Peter Smythe’s place in February to hopefully get my C+E.
Thanks again.

Is tachograph training not included in the training for the licence? .

You don’t actually need to switch on the ignition in the vast majority of lorries (although it does help as the backlight on the tacho display will then light up so you can see what it says/what you’re doing).

I could be wrong, but I think with a brand new card the head unit won’t ask you any questions about manual entries etc (that will come on subsequent shifts)

1. Switch on the ignition and locate any interior lighting switches. Switch these on so you can see what you are doing. If the tachograph display shows “Driving Without Card”, press OK to clear it (this message is simply to inform you that the vehicle has been moved without a card in - typically by a yard shunter). NOTE If it shows “Card!” this is normal and is simply a reminder that you need to put your card in.

2. Insert card into Slot 1 (this is the one on the left). Chip uppermost, chip end first.
    After a bit of thinking, the display will show Welcome and your surname. With a new card I’m pretty sure it will simply accept it without further input, although a newer head unit might well ask your consent to “publicise” stuff. Accept this by pressing “OK”.

3. Once the card has been accepted by the head unit the card icon at the bottom left of the display will show this (by showing a full card symbol). Pressing the “1” button on the head unit will cycle the Mode through Work (crossed hammers), Rest (the “bed” symbol) and POA (square with a diagonal line through it). Make sure the Work symbol is showing, then crack on with your pre-drive checks.

Before you actually start off on your run, drive the lorry a short distance (10-20 metres is more than enough), stop and observe the tachograph display. While it was moving the activity icon will have changed to the Driving symbol (steering wheel). Note what it defaults to when you stop. On most lorries it will default to Work (crossed hammers) but on some it will instead default to Rest (bed symbol). The former is easiest for the driver as it means that the tachograph will automatically record “Work” every time you stop at a delivery. If it switches to Rest every time, then you’ll need to get into the habit of manually setting it to Work at every drop, which is a right PITA.

Good advice, Roymondo - thank you.
That’s a top tip to check the default setting as I guarantee I’d forget to check and change it. I’m keen to get the tacho stuff sorted as I don’t want to pick up infringements due to daft use.

Dunnage:
Good advice, Roymondo - thank you.
That’s a top tip to check the default setting as I guarantee I’d forget to check and change it. I’m keen to get the tacho stuff sorted as I don’t want to pick up infringements due to daft use.

On most tachos changing that default behaviour requires a visit to a tachograph centre, although I believe some can be changed using the operator’s company card. It’s not something you as a driver can change.

the nodding donkey:
Is tachograph training not included in the training for the licence? .

You don’t need a licence to drive C1. (Assuming grandfather rights) you do get drivers hours training in CPC (which is required to drive C1) but I found there was little or no practical tacho use taught.
Dunnage, do you not expect to get any training in your first day/week? [emoji33]

edd1974:

Dunnage:

Might get a few questions ie manual entry press no.
Rest to now press yes.

Completely the opposite required at my place of work.

stu675:

the nodding donkey:
you do get drivers hours training in CPC (which is required to drive C1) [emoji33]

Can you imagine a noob in a CPC training room filled with, ‘you can’t teach me anything’ types? He/she won’t stand a chance of learning anything.

LazyDriver:

stu675:

the nodding donkey:
you do get drivers hours training in CPC (which is required to drive C1) [emoji33]

Can you imagine a noob in a CPC training room filled with, ‘you can’t teach me anything’ types? He/she won’t stand a chance of learning anything.

I was a noob in a CPC online training, if I had any questions I spoke up and asked. But you don’t always know what you don’t know.
‘The can’t teach me anything’ kept themselves pretty quiet

Grandfather’s rights for me!
2 days of multi-drop - I followed Roymondo’s advice and it worked well - apart from the hassle to get more drops done than I had the time to do.
As for the CPC: first off, I’m a great fan of continous professional development (CPD) and the CPC seems to be meant for that. I also think the CPC for new drivers is essential.
I didn’t want a box-ticking course and selected my CPC provider (online, due to Covid) based on the modules offered and I included 2 modules of driver’s hours and tachograph - one an overview the other an in-depth study. Unfortunately, the online ‘training’ was of very limited use - stu675’s picture seemed to be the norm for my course.
For me the CPC is a good idea that is poorly executed, if it is CPD then there should be an assessment at the end of the day. Perhaps not a test, maybe a simple multi-choice where you get a score to show where you might need to do a bit more study or ask a few more questions -as has been said, you don’t know what you don’t know.
Feeling rather chuffed with myself for getting my 45 in at 4hr 15min, I realised that during the hustle of drop-offs I had missed the WTD break (shhhh… don’t tell anyone).
I now have tachoguard installed and have changed my employer.
Thanks all for the advice.

Dunnage:
G.
Feeling rather chuffed with myself for getting my 45 in at 4hr 15min, I realised that during the hustle of drop-offs I had missed the WTD break (shhhh… don’t tell anyone).
I now have tachoguard installed and have changed my employer.
Thanks all for the advice.

That’s when a 15 then 30 split comes in handy if it’s not all driving.

Help! What happens if you leave your tacho card in overnight!

Dunnage:
Help! What happens if you leave your tacho card in overnight!

If it was put onto “BED”, and no one got in to move it, nothing…

Lemme guess: you left it on “duty” all night?
Naughty.
Was it moved at all by someone else?
Unlucky.
Do a couple of printouts noting that you made an error. Sign and date them. One for office, one for you.
If that is all that is wrong, the chances are you`ll get a telling off, and little else

Make a habit of and it will be taken more seriously.
If that is just one of many different issues you`ll also be in more trouble.

Don`t panic. Rarely is it a hanging offence.

Thanks, Franglais.
Duty all night - yes
Moved by someone else - yes
I’ll do the printouts and annotate the back.
I’ve made a ‘checklist’ so when the guys pester me for paperwork on my return I’ll not make the same mistake again (hopefully!)