Tacho's How do u manually fill in the tacho at end of day

How do u manually fill in the tacho at end of day for your daily rest? Ive just had a letter from my old job agency saying that i’ve commited an infringement because i didn’t manually fill in my daily rest because the wagon i drive gets used when i bring it bk so cant leave it in wagon. I really do need to know this thou because ive drove now foe a few months an never done this! oops! i did only pass my class 1 six weeks ago!

How are daily rest periods recorded?
When a chart cannot be left in the vehicle’s tachograph to record a daily rest period, drivers should make manual entries, for example: start DR t18.30, end DR t06.30.

Where should manual entries be made?
If a chart has a special place to make manual entries, usually on the reverse side, this is where they should be made. But they can be made anywhere on the chart provided they are clear and do not obliterate other recordings.

info gained from here truckersinfo.co.uk/index.php … echours#15 im sure others on here will give you a better explaination just thought this may tide you over

at the place i work its company policy to record a line on the face of tachograph for start of day(e.g sdr0600)and then one at the end of day(edr1700).

this is to show the time your doing your checks in the morning and that even though your tacho was taken out the fact that you could be in the warehouse doing other duties etc…

jon

It is a legal requirement to show the start & end of your working day & your chart should also be inserted as your first job on taking a vehicle over to be totally correct.

Pete
Sounds like you’ve left the tacho card in.
When you finish for the day you fill in the kms. (having put the Kms at th start ) also the place you parked up or removed the tacho card. remove the card. next vechicle, new card etc. Don’t leave the card in overnight, even if you are sleeping in it, you will forget it’s ther and make mistakes.

Some drivers draw a line s/d/r. you don’t have to do this, its is not alegal requirement. indeed it is ILLEGAL to write on the card side outside or the box where you put your name(backwards ie smith john) place or starting etc.

Anyway ask another driver, they will always help

Merlin

merlin:
indeed it is ILLEGAL to write on the card side outside or the box where you put your name(backwards ie smith john) place or starting etc.

It is not illegal to write on the card outside the centre field as longs as any writing doesn’t obscure the traces, see the direct quote from the regulations in Metalhead10’s reply.

merlin:
where you put your name(backwards ie smith john)

It is also a popular misconception among drivers that your name must be put ‘backwards.’ The regulations only state you must put your surname and first name, not an initial, they don’t specify which order they must be in. Note if you have a long name and can’t fit it all into the space provided it is acceptable to use you initial and the record your full name on the reverse of the chart

Your both right & wrong coffeholic. Your name does need to be surname & then first name as that is how its written.
Its Atricle 15 E.C. 3821/85. 5 (a). if you want to check & as it states surname & first name then thats the way it has to be, as the law is literal.

:open_mouth:

SOMEONE’S CAUGHT NEIL OUT ON DRIVING/TACHO RULES & REGS ■■?

I DON’T BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE IT !!! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Not true Alan, it says you must record your surname and your first name, it doesn’t specify in which order. The fact it is written in the regulations surname then first name has led to this popular misconception but that is only saying what must be recorded not the order in which it must be done and this part of the regulations is more to do with pointing out the fact you have to use your full name and not initials.

The regulations would have to state the order clearly that they must be written in and it doesn’t do that.

Rob K:
SOMEONE’S CAUGHT NEIL OUT ON DRIVING/TACHO RULES & REGS ■■?

I DON’T BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE IT !!!

No they didn’t Rob, Alan has just fallen into the same trap that many have and has misunderstood the regulations. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hmmmm, Coffeeholic, not sure about this one. You state that “it is written in the regulations surname then first name” makes it appear fairly clear, but then again who can tell.

To return to the original question posed, every type of tacho that I’ve used has a manual entry chart on the reverse - I would suggest that if you have the situation described above you could use this to show your activity whilst the chart is out of the vehicle.

All you need to do is draw a line in the appropriate section (i.e. rest) covering the hours in question. If I need to do this I use a felt tip pen (kept specifically for writing on the reverse of tacho’s) so that it doesn’t show though on the face, thus creating an infringement. Incidentally, this section can also be used to show rest upto and from start/finish times.

I might be wrong, but then again I might not :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jules

Boots O’Lead:
Hmmmm, Coffeeholic, not sure about this one. You state that “it is written in the regulations surname then first name” makes it appear fairly clear, but then again who can tell.

I didn’t mean that bit as a direct quote from the regulations, rather that was the order it happened to be in the regs. If it did say 'THEN’ there would not really be an argument as that would, as you say, be pretty clear but it actually says surname and first name and that only says what must be written, i.e. no initials or nicknames, not to specify the order in which you must write it.

They had to write it one way in the regulations and they chose this way. :smiley: Mainly I believe because most of Europe write there names that way on any kind of form, or even when signing CMRs.

The regulations give this information regarding what a driver must enter on a chart:

Each driver must enter the following information on the record chart:

His or her surname and first name (before departing);

The date and place where use of the chart begins (before departing) and ends (after arrival);

The registration number of vehicles driven during the use of the chart (which should be entered before departing on a new vehicle);

The odometer reading at the start of the first journey and at the end of the last journey shown on the chart.

No mention of which order the information must be entered and if you felt in a devilish mood you could write the reg number first, then the date, then the mileage then your name. :wink: wouldn’t be an offence despite the regulations having them listed in the order above. :wink: :slight_smile: :smiley:

I always put my christian name first,have done for twenty or so years.

I have never been told it was the wrong thing to do and that includes the nice ministry man who came to my yard and checked my tachos when he did an inspection.

cheers
STEVE.

ATKIG11:

I have never been told it was the wrong thing to do

That’s because you didn’t do anything wrong Steve. :smiley:

ATKIG11:

I have never been told it was the wrong thing to do and that includes the nice ministry man who came to my yard and checked my tachos when he did an inspection.

cheers
STEVE.

Same here always put first name above last name as it doesn’t fit on the line. Its legable and doesn’t infringe on trace area. Had several checks in the last 10 years and have had no problems.

Just wondering…

Do you have to use your full name or shortened names??

ie Andrew or Andy…

Full name Andrew. :smiley:

If you have a long name and can’t fit it in it is OK to put your initial but you must put your full name on the back of the chart in that case.