Tachographs

Apologies if this sounds stupid…

I don’t understand how this digital tachograph stuff works.

I understand that you have your own, and the firm has theirs, the workshop has theirs and there’s another one vosa can use.

What I don’t get is, do you have to get your own from the DVLA or somthing?

Also, alot of people I know seem to think that the digital tachographs massively overcompensate when shunting, how true is this, and how much leaway will vosa give you on your time if you’re slightly over, due to the digital tacho over compensating in the first place?

Many thanks

James

Welcome to T/net mate and enjoy

jef:
Apologies if this sounds stupid…

The most stupid sounding question is the one you don’t ask

jef:
I don’t understand how this digital tachograph stuff works.

You are not alone there mate

jef:
I understand that you have your own, and the firm has theirs, the workshop has theirs and there’s another one vosa can use.

What I don’t get is, do you have to get your own from the DVLA or somthing?

You apply to DVLA and they will send it to you, the pplication form can be obtained from your local VRO (local DVLA Offices), VOSA offices or a main postoffice

jef:
Also, alot of people I know seem to think that the digital tachographs massively overcompensate when shunting, how true is this, and how much leaway will vosa give you on your time if you’re slightly over, due to the digital tacho over compensating in the first place?

They do seem to ‘nick minutes because if you only do say 1 minute 10 seconds of driving it will round it up to 2 minutes, but then this works the other way as well with other work.

One thing you might get away with (I’m not 100% sure about this but I’m sure someone will be) is that if you are shunting in the yard and do not go on the road for that shift you can drive the units/wagons about the yard without a card in and then when it comes to the end of the shift you can do a manual entry for ‘other work’ and ‘breaks’ from the start of the shift and then end the shift in the last unit/wagon you use. I know this is what some companies do but whether it is legal or not is another matter., I think it is something to do with driving that is not ‘in scope’

jef:
Many thanks

James

Your welcome