Tachograph unit problem spat out card

Had the same truck since 2018 same tacho card for a year. 2 days ago started truck with the usual routine, drove 3 miles and the card auto ejected not like normal but pushed completely out fell on the floor as I was driving at about 40 mph. Now even when stationary there seems to be a white plastic barrier in slot 1 and the card wont even start to go in, slot 2 is fine. Drove as normal without card for the day doing a printout at end of day and tacho is working fine. Put tacho on rest for the night, next morning card still would not go in. Tried driving a different truck tacho and card worked fine. What is this white barrier in slot 1 ?

Sensible thoughts please. I guess there’s a fault with the tacho ?

You must have went 1 minute over daily driving. The new tachos are designed to spit card in your face so you know youve done an illegal thing.

I hear that in 2021 they will have a chimp in passenger seat who will punch you in the face instead.

cgscott:
You must have went 1 minute over daily driving. The new tachos are designed to spit card in your face so you know youve done an illegal thing.

I hear that in 2021 they will have a chimp in passenger seat who will punch you in the face instead.

Nope…the chimp drives the semi-autonomous yoke and you’re there just to feed the chimp and sign the paperwork. :smiley:

cgscott:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
itl be a brave monkey that punches the face of our new resident blue van man ronnie pickering contender.
id love to be a fly on the wall for that one.
why am i now having flashbacks to bj and the gay bear?? . :open_mouth:

ukjamesuk:
Had the same truck since 2018 same tacho card for a year. 2 days ago started truck with the usual routine, drove 3 miles and the card auto ejected not like normal but pushed completely out fell on the floor as I was driving at about 40 mph. Now even when stationary there seems to be a white plastic barrier in slot 1 and the card wont even start to go in, slot 2 is fine. Drove as normal without card for the day doing a printout at end of day and tacho is working fine. Put tacho on rest for the night, next morning card still would not go in. Tried driving a different truck tacho and card worked fine. What is this white barrier in slot 1 ?

Sensible thoughts please. I guess there’s a fault with the tacho ?

Are you the only driver of the truck? Or has someone else used it, and damaged the the tacho? There isn’t another card rammed in there.
Whatever, it seems faulty. Defect it, get it looked at by an approved tacho centre.

Beyond the infinite monkeys using infinite typewriters to write the WTD regulations and still doing a better job…

I’m guessing this is the type without a motor where it just pushes the card via a spring mechanism? Not experienced this before but it sounds like a stopper has broken so the spring is pushing the ejector too far forward and it needs a new mechanism.

Get it VORd and off to tacho centre or VOSA will not be happy you’re using a defective tacho machine. Broken card is one thing, but broken tacho is truck off the road.

trevHCS:
Beyond the infinite monkeys using infinite typewriters to write the WTD regulations and still doing a better job…

I’m guessing this is the type without a motor where it just pushes the card via a spring mechanism? Not experienced this before but it sounds like a stopper has broken so the spring is pushing the ejector too far forward and it needs a new mechanism.

Get it VORd and off to tacho centre or VOSA will not be happy you’re using a defective tacho machine. Broken card is one thing, but broken tacho is truck off the road.

Yes, get it VOR. A vehicle with a defective Tachograph can only be driven to an authorised repair centre.