Tachograph time accuracy

I haven’t got my CPC books to hand right now and I can’t remember the answer so could someone remind me how accurate the time on the tacho needs to be? The truck I drove today was eight minutes out and although it’s probably none of my business, I will let them know if this is “out of limit”. I know you can alter the time by one minute per week but I’ll only be driving it this week.

20 minutes Harry

Harry Monk:
I haven’t got my CPC books to hand right now and I can’t remember the answer so could someone remind me how accurate the time on the tacho needs to be? The truck I drove today was eight minutes out and although it’s probably none of my business, I will let them know if this is “out of limit”. I know you can alter the time by one minute per week but I’ll only be driving it this week.

No more than a couple of minutes, you can only alter it a minute without it having to go to workshop as far as I remember.

20 minutes.

You can adjust it by 1 minute per week yourself. Anything more than 20 and it needs to go to a tacho centre for realignment

Thanks all.

toonsy:
You can adjust it by 1 minute per week yourself.

Might sound a daft question but can you alter it both back or forwards?

Mines out by a couple of minutes but for the life of me I can’t remember right now if it’s faster or slower than my phone (4 on - 4 off shift pattern and I’m not in again till Friday)

Reef:

toonsy:

Mines out by a couple of minutes but for the life of me I can’t remember right now if it’s faster or slower than my phone (4 on - 4 off shift pattern and I’m not in again till Friday)

Yes, either way. But as said only by a minute a week, so you should be able to adjust it 2 minutes by the time you finish on Monday.

TheUncaringCowboy:

Reef:

toonsy:

Yes, either way. But as said only by a minute a week, so you should be able to adjust it 2 minutes by the time you finish on Monday.

Great, I’ll have a button stabbing fest on Friday then, Cheers.

TheUncaringCowboy:

Reef:

toonsy:

No it’s a week apart. So if you adjust by a minute today you’ll have to wait until next Wednesday to do it again.

I only cottoned onto that as it took me eight bloody weeks to straighten mine out. I used to do it on a Monday but forgot then found I couldn’t change the following Monday and had to wait until Tuesday :laughing:

The reason the change is allowed is because of leap seconds if anyone is interested btw…

Nothing to do with leap seconds (there have only been 30-odd of them in the last 40 years) but has everything to do with the inevitable slight drift of even a quartz clock while still preventing unscrupulous drivers from winding the clock forward (or back) for the purposes of running bent.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I drove one for a year that was a whole hour out. It was new and delivered in November. I was the first to use it and since the clock in the cab still showed summertime, I just put it back an hour - np.

Roll forward the best part of a year and I got an infringement from the company that checked our tachos - only a couple of minutes short on a break, but when I looked at the printout it was obvious that the times were all wrong. It had been set at the wrong time since it was delivered.

Santa:
I drove one for a year that was a whole hour out. It was new and delivered in November. I was the first to use it and since the clock in the cab still showed summertime, I just put it back an hour - np.

Roll forward the best part of a year and I got an infringement from the company that checked our tachos - only a couple of minutes short on a break, but when I looked at the printout it was obvious that the times were all wrong. It had been set at the wrong time since it was delivered.

We had much the same. Brand new fleet around November 2009. Just one of the lorries had its tacho set to BST rather than GMT/UTC. The local time displayed (and thus the time shown on the dash) was easily adjusted to show the correct time. The lorries had their own regular drivers, and we were never pushed on daily rest times etc anyway so it was never an issue - until the regular driver had a week off and they put an agency driver in to cover for him, when the error became apparent. It was easily rectified.

Well my clock is two minutes fast but I cant work out how to change the minutes, it only lets me change the hour by one, i assume for BST.

MAN TGS 17 plate any ideas?

Reef:
Well my clock is two minutes fast but I cant work out how to change the minutes, it only lets me change the hour by one, i assume for BST.

MAN TGS 17 plate any ideas?

On the tacho, go into the menu (Press OK) and scroll to Vehicle Set (or similar - can’t remember the actual words), press OK again then scroll to UTC Set (again, can’t remember the exact words). You will then have the option of adjusting the time + or - one minute. Choose minus one minute and press OK. Wait a week then repeat for the second minute.

How come I have a digital watch which is five years old but is still accurate to the second, yet a truck tachograph can lose eight minutes since its last calibration?

Some digital watches remain accurate to the second for several years, some don’t. Same applies to tachographs.

As an aside, one of my digital watches (I have two - one for work, one for when “off duty”) has remained accurate to the second for at least 15 years (including automatically compensating for the changes to/from BST and GMT). It hasn’t even needed a new battery - although it has had two new straps in that time.

Roymondo:

Santa:

We had much the same. Brand new fleet around November 2009. Just one of the lorries had its tacho set to BST rather than GMT/UTC. The local time displayed (and thus the time shown on the dash) was easily adjusted to show the correct time. The lorries had their own regular drivers, and we were never pushed on daily rest times etc anyway so it was never an issue - until the regular driver had a week off and they put an agency driver in to cover for him, when the error became apparent. It was easily rectified.

Easily rectified - sure. But only by an authorised tacho centre.

20 mins if digital ,analogue is something like 2 mins