Tachograph Printout

Is it possible to get a printout using the tachograph unit in the cab over a week after an incident has acured ?

Not saturday gone but the saturday before i was double manning with another driver and i drove for about 85 - 90% that day, however after we had completed all the drops for the day we pulling into a layby for a 30 minute break, after the break that’s when i realised it hadnt registered my first 15 minute break so the other driver told me to pull my card out and he would just drive us back to the depot. Well yesterday the boss asked me who was driving that day, i said we both were and asked him why, he said the head quarters depot had received a speeding ticket that was logged at 15.56pm and he wouldn’t have it on his desk until tomorrow ( now today ). Well i downloaded my card on the bosses computer and it shows that i stopped driving at 15.27, that’s 29 minutes before the speeding ticket was recorded and i just want to cover my back incase the other driver waits 28 days then says it wasn’t him and possibly the company trying to help him get out of it as he has been there much loger than me so i don’t know if I’ll be able to relay on the information on the bosses computer. Paperwork also states that we didn’t get back to the depot until 16.45pm. If i can do a printout for that day how would i go about it ?

In the end the tacograph had recorded a total of 47 minutes break for me so it had recorded my break correctly but it didn’t look like it on the day in question.

We must have pulled in for our break at 14.57pm and then had our 30 minute break and the last time the unit recorded my card in was at 15.27pm when i took my card out.

Also the other driver had his card in from then and during the incident.

If this went to court would this be enough evidence to prove i wasn’t driving ?

Ok so I’ve been in to work today and the boss seemded to be acting defensively, one minute saying he hasn’t had a change to speak to the other driver yet and the next minute saying he’s spoke to the other driver and he says it was him.

The ticket was generated in Longhorsely on the A697 right near the Shoulder of mutton pub, we stopped in the layby 200 - 700 yards before the camera NW of the pub and had our 30 minute break and then he took over and has obviously getting caught speeding 35 in a 30 nearly immediately after taking over.

Things have been getting on top on me lately and this amongst been contacted at 7pm last night and told to go in at 5.30am instead of the normal 7am has been the final straw so I’ve walked out.

Am there for unable to get a printout should i need one.

How do i go about looking after my backside ?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

You don’t need your unit, ask another driver if he’d oblige helping you Insert your card select printout and scroll through to the date required

Also if your boss is being an arse, and says you were the driver, you can write a statement to the court and by law he is required to submit the vehicle data and relevant driver data covering the offence

Taking your card out while still on duty wasn’t a wise move, but don’t sweat it.
Your Driver Card will retain probably months of your driving data. As Grumpy says you can insert that card into any tacho head and download the day in question.
As the Hitchhikers Guide says
“Don’t Panic!”

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

The other driver was taking over and he said slot 2 doesn’t work after i said we should use slot 2.

I believe a card only holds 28 days of information.

A driver card holds a lot more than 28 days of data. Even if you were doing a lot of stop-start work (many mode changes) every day, it would still have months worth of data. It only overwrites old data once it is full.

Your data for that that date will be safe til you next get the opportunity to print it.

The card stores at the very least 28 days of data. But in order to fill it up in so short a time you would have to change modes dozens of times every hour, and be maxing out your hours every day. In practice, most drivers find they can see (and print) several months worth of entries.

Also bear in mind that if you’re not currently using your card it won’t be recording any more entries, so won’t be filling up.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Slot 2does work, as in the sense it reads your info and logs it to the days data.

Initially the first driver places their card in slot 1 and the second driver slot 2, you can then change the mode between, other work, POA and rest. Once driver 1 has finished his stint driving he should select rest and then you swap cards making sure rest is selected in slot 2 or the activity he is doing.
Both cards should remain in the OBU until the shift is over.

Your card will store data for 28 days after this point it will write ove itself i.e. day 29 will write over day 1 etc these are working days not non working days.

If you feel you’re being hung out to dry, you need another OBU to print off that days data, another option would be to see DVSA and explain the situation to them, they can do a more detailed printout and either print will stand in court

No need to worry, the driver who’s card was in will be getting the punishment regardless of what your boss wants.
The other driver certainly isn’t going to say he wasn’t driving as the punishment for allowing someone else to drive using your card is far more severe that what he’ll get for the speeding.

Your boss has a time limit in which to reply to the Notice of Intention to Prosecute. , I think it might be 28 days.
He can only put down one name, in this case he would be very stupid to put any name down other than the guy you were driving with. If he was to reply that he wasn’t sure or that there were two drivers then he stands a good chance of being prosecuted himself.

Take the advice above and make absolutely certain that you get a printout. Use any truck, press enter and then scroll through to the day in question. It might be any idea to photo the printout or make a copy just in case.

Also, if possible, check to make sure that the tacho in the truck you were driving has been re calibrated in the last 24 months…you will see a sticker usually on the drivers doorframe showing the date of the last calibration.

If for someone reason your boss has not had the tacho recalibrated then he can be prosecuted.

One other point…if he wants to, your boss could ask for a photo which is likely going to show exactly who was driving.

Sounds like you aren’t going to have a problem, but cover the bases…

Ok thanks guys.

So it seems like the word on the street is i have nothing to worry about and that justice will be done to those who deserve it and the correct punishment will only be issued to the person at fault.

Grumpy Dad:
Your card will store data for 28 days after this point it will write ove itself i.e. day 29 will write over day 1 etc these are working days not non working days.

No, it does not. I have a printout in front of me produced from my card at 13:36 (UTC) today. It shows my activities/times for the 1st November 2016… (and no, I have not only worked 28 days since November last year!)

The data on the card does indeed get overwritten - but only when the card is “full” - the timing of this will depend almost entirely on the number of times the mode changed. Drivers with frequent mode changes (e.g. multi-drop) will fill their cards quicker (and thus the oldest printable entry will be significantly more recent) than drivers who record mostly long unbroken periods of a single activity mode.

Roymondo:

Grumpy Dad:

No, it does not. I have a printout in front of me produced from my card at 13:36 (UTC) today. It shows my activities/times for the 1st November 2016… (and no, I have not only worked 28 days since November last year!)

The data on the card does indeed get overwritten - but only when the card is “full” - the timing of this will depend almost entirely on the number of times the mode changed. Drivers with frequent mode changes (e.g. multi-drop) will fill their cards quicker (and thus the oldest printable entry will be significantly more recent) than drivers who record mostly long unbroken periods of a single activity mode.

I had a similar conversation regarding this topic in April this year, because we are away for 3 - 4 weeks our units are automatic downloading, they do it daily from 06:00 onwards from when the ignition is on. My digicard ran out on the 5/4 and spat the card out at midnight, my argument was that I’d lost a days download and it was locked in the card, I was told the card holds 28 days data ( I thought it was 45 ) and the OBU 365, if the card is placed in another OBU only 28 days can be printed as the donor OBU has no information regarding that driver held. Driver detail recognition or something.
I never questioned it as the data for the 5/4 was available and downloaded as normal after the insertion of my new card, and I’ve not been in another unit to try it either.

Grumpy Dad:

Roymondo:

Grumpy Dad:

I had a similar conversation regarding this topic in April this year, because we are away for 3 - 4 weeks our units are automatic downloading, they do it daily from 06:00 or onwards from when the ignition is on. My digicard ran out on the 5/4 and spat the card out at midnight, my argument was that I’d lost a days download and it was locked in the card, I was told the card holds 28 days data ( I thought it was 45 ) and the OBU 365, if the card is placed in another OBU only 28 days can be printed as the donor OBU has no information regarding that driver held. Driver detail regocnition or something.
I never questioned it as the data for the 5/4 was available and downloaded as normal after the insertion of my new card, and I’ve not been in another unit to try it either.

The card is designed to hold at the very least 28 days’ worth of data - but you’d have to be changing modes dozens of times every hour of every day to fill it that quickly. Most drivers will find it holds several months’ worth of data.

I’m pretty sure you can still download data from a card that has expired.

Roymondo:

Grumpy Dad:

Roymondo:

Grumpy Dad:

I had a similar conversation regarding this topic in April this year, because we are away for 3 - 4 weeks our units are automatic downloading, they do it daily from 06:00 or onwards from when the ignition is on. My digicard ran out on the 5/4 and spat the card out at midnight, my argument was that I’d lost a days download and it was locked in the card, I was told the card holds 28 days data ( I thought it was 45 ) and the OBU 365, if the card is placed in another OBU only 28 days can be printed as the donor OBU has no information regarding that driver held. Driver detail regocnition or something.

The card is designed to hold at the very least 28 days’ worth of data - but you’d have to be changing modes dozens of times every hour of every day to fill it that quickly. Most drivers will find it holds several months’ worth of data.

I have 2 you’re more than welcome to try

Grumpy Dad:

Roymondo:

I’ve checked. You can indeed download from an expired card - but not by using the automatic, wireless downloading facility offered by the type of head unit you are using (because the head unit rejects the expired card). It would have to be done via a card reader.

Roymondo:

Grumpy Dad:

Roymondo:

I’ve checked. You can indeed download from an expired card - but not by using the automatic, wireless downloading facility offered by the type of head unit you are using (because the head unit rejects the expired card). It would have to be done via a card reader.

You dont like to let a topic drop for fear of being wrong do you ?
Like I said I never thought to question it because the data had been downloaded. Perhaps the OBU has a storage facility for the previous 24 hrs ready to download, I don’t know and don’t give a monkeys about, it’s an event that happens every 5 years, and I look forward to 5/4/22.

Grumpy Dad:
You dont like to let a topic drop for fear of being wrong do you ?

Happy to let stuff drop. Not so happy to let clearly incorrect advice/information stand, especially when it’s in response to a relative newbie’s legitimate query.