Tachograph needed?

Just looking for some clarification.

If one wants to start a small business transporting horses using a bespoke built 3.5t horsebox, does a tachograph have to be fitted? Basically this is based on a Citroen Relay 3.5t panel van which has been stripped back and a new body built on it, but it doesn’t exceed the vans original weight specifications. Does it require a tachograph?

Cheers

PS Sorry if in wrong forum.

Don’t most of these van weigh more than 3.5t if you put anything but a pit pony in it. If so, you’ll maybe need more than a tachograph.

DBATOM:
Don’t most of these van weigh more than 3.5t if you put anything but a pit pony in it. If so, you’ll maybe need more than a tachograph.

No you can usually carry two and fit under the 3.5t bracket. Mine only has 860kg payload which is one horse and no more but it has living area in the back and a triple crew seat up front etc so some payload is lost there.

Is the consensus then over 3.5t = tacho?

No you wouldn’t need a tacho in a 3.5 tonne box. As you are probably aware, you also wouldn’t need an operator’s licence for that size either

If you want to talk about it more please PM me. I know a little about transporting horses (!) and, as the previous poster mentions, you won’t get much in a 3.5t horsebox. Even the small racing boxes tend to be larger than that

I think the first question to ask yourself is whether you want to move horses for ‘hire or reward’ or just your own beasties?

It’s not ‘consensus’ as such, it’s the Law!

good_friend:
It’s not ‘consensus’ as such, it’s the Law!

Excuse my poor choice of words, I’m aware it’s the law. Was just having a conversation with someone tonight and I was 100% certain no tacho was required but they were absolutely adamant it was and it got me doubting myself. Will drop you a message.

Thanks

AFAIK this document is still current Guidance for horsebox and trailer owners. While from 2012 it covers what you are asking on here.

Also if you are planning to transport horses as a business, there is this to get as well Certificate of Competence

“From 5 January 2008, transporters or attendants who transport horses on the roads, on journeys over 40 miles and up to 8 hours, must hold a Certificate of Competence for short journeys. The qualification is required under legislation for anyone transporting horses in connection with economic or business activity”

Its a 3.5t just throw what you want in it and crack on. I reckon theres more dvsa employees on here than truck drivers.

Fo as you please and never mind others.

You’re correct about the certificate.
It covers 8 hours and 65kms. If you are likely to need to move a horse more than 65kms or for more than 8 hours, or an international journey you need to obtain an advanced certificate not the normal one

cgscott:
Its a 3.5t just throw what you want in it and crack on. I reckon theres more dvsa employees on here than truck drivers.

Fo as you please and never mind others.

As the last mare and foal I moved were worth around £10m between them please excuse me if I don’t follow your very sage advice

no Tacho needed. Be very sure of the market your entering though. At the moment there appears to be 10 new companies a week. Every man and his three cousins seem to think it’s a good easy way to earn a living. Some out there are running for as little as 40 pence per mile!