Tachograph marking question

VOSA advises us to write on the back of the anologue tacho chart with EWR=end of weekly rest.
SWR=start of weekly rest,SOD=start of duty,EOD=end of duty,but if this is a LEGAL requirement,then they would have a device in the machine to write the information,but there is not,being stopped abroad,and i have never had a problem if i have not written on the back of the chart,and if you did,the pen would mark the tracing,then there is the fraud allegations on the chart,not many drivers carry with them felt tip pens.
Grey area of confusion,if stopped,they can work out the activities themselves.

I’ve never done it, and never had a problem

I’ve never heard of that with analogue discs. The only time to write on the back of the chart is if the tacho is not working. The fields on the front are all that need to be completed.

The front of the chart should be marked with a start line and finish line and tagged with SDR (start daily rest) EDR etc, use your imagination. As far as i know it’s a company thing but it’s happening much more frequently with the explanation “Vosa want us to do it blah,blah,blah.” As it’s not difficult to do I do it.

Think you’ll find it’s a “freight best practice” thing,but as “fbp” went by the board recently it’ll just be a company & in some cases incorrectly analysed tacho’ thing. I had never done it and had no prob’s anywhere in Europe but during my 5 years in a previous life with Sainsbury’s ( luckily I managed to tunnel out,lol) we all got “infringements” every chart we used unless we drew SOD & EOD lines across the face & also stated the exact time of commencing/finishing duty. As said previously,it’s pretty obvious what you’ve done if VOSA etc study the cards properly.
Am on another life now away from JS & apart from the rounding up of driving time I reckon the Digitach is the easiest way so far to record your work & review what you’ve done, mid shift or at the end. Who knows,if they ever use up to date technology they may even be able to record your time to the last second (my phone can & it’s tiny compared to a Digitach)

I have never done it either. If you want to draw on your discs or printout there is a specially designed grid split into 15 minute increments, just like a latter-day log book had.

EOD, SOD, EWR or SWR have no meaning in German Dutch or French that I understand, maybe DD can give us a German lesson :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
I have never done it either. If you want to draw on your discs or printout there is a specially designed grid split into 15 minute increments, just like a latter-day log book had.

EOD, SOD, EWR or SWR have no meaning in German Dutch or French that I understand, maybe DD can give us a German lesson :stuck_out_tongue:

My sentiments entirely,a digicard stores start & end of duty anyway,why bother with a printout at all?
If you need to check your times/hours for your own personal records then call it all up on the tacho either during or when finishing your shift,no printout neccesary.

44 Tonne Ton:
The front of the chart should be marked with a start line and finish line and tagged with SDR (start daily rest) EDR etc, use your imagination. As far as i know it’s a company thing but it’s happening much more frequently with the explanation “Vosa want us to do it blah,blah,blah.” As it’s not difficult to do I do it.

Totally agree.

this is another EU v UK grey area :unamused:
marking on the front of the chart outside the centre field is an offence in europe so expect a fine even if VOSA say its ok.
another contradiction,
in the UK it is normal to take your tacho out at the end of your shift and put a new one in for the start in the morning, do that in europe, france especially, and its yet another excuse for them to line their pockets :imp:
now if you leave your tacho in overnight under euro preferences and your start time is later than you started the day before your trace will overwrite which is an offence in the UK :unamused: :unamused:
either we all do the same or we don’t but they only need the slightest excuse to fine us :imp: :imp:

toby1234abc:
VOSA advises us to write on the back of the anologue tacho chart with EWR=end of weekly rest.
SWR=start of weekly rest,SOD=start of duty,EOD=end of duty,but if this is a LEGAL requirement,

Not a legal requirement just a recommendation and not recommended when going abroad.

Wheel Nut:

I used to mark analogue charts with the above when I worked nights for an agenccy on TNT work, but they did say that it was a ‘company’ thing.

I’ve never heard of the Germans doing such a thing, but maybe brit pete or Inselaffe would be better placed to say what actually happens in practice in Germany.

Basically, any marking of the tacho disc outside of the area for name, start point, etc. will be deemed as defacing an official document. Manual entries can ONLY be made on the back of the chart, in the case of a driver changing vehicles during shift, or making a manual entry to cover periods when the driver is not with the vehicle for example.

The start/end of weekly rest will, of course, be covered by the letter of attestation that all decent employers will provide for their drivers, especially if they are involved in cross border operations.

So, if you require to do any of this quirky “SOD, EOD” Brit stuff, I would advise you to do it on the back of the chart if you intend to visit The Fatherland :wink:

Inselaffe:
The start/end of weekly rest will, of course, be covered by the letter of attestation that all decent employers will provide for their drivers, especially if they are involved in cross border operations.

Which, if they have spent the weekend away from the yard they won’t have. :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

Inselaffe:
The start/end of weekly rest will, of course, be covered by the letter of attestation that all decent employers will provide for their drivers, especially if they are involved in cross border operations./quote]
Which, if they have spent the weekend away from the yard they won’t have. :stuck_out_tongue:

And the reason the strange Germans used to drive to their lorries in their cars with family, dogs and friends to change their cards before the 24 hours overran :stuck_out_tongue: