Tachograph laws and vehicle rental?

I’m looking for some advice on how digital tachograph laws work when hiring vehicles. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Who has to be downloading/storing the info from the card? Who has to be downloading/storing the info from the VU? I would presume the hire company that owns the vehicle but then wouldn’t it be private information of the driver so conflict with privacy laws?

Any advice would be great, been struggling to find any info at all!

lu_cb:
Who has to be downloading/storing the info from the card?

The operator of the vehicle, which would be the company hiring the vehicle.

lu_cb:
Who has to be downloading/storing the info from the VU?

Again the operator of the vehicle, just because the vehicle is hired in rather than one of their regular fleet it makes no difference to their obligations.

lu_cb:
I would presume the hire company that owns the vehicle

Hire companies don’t generally have an O Licence, after all they aren’t operating the vehicles, so there is no legal requirement on their part to keep or check the information.

lu_cb:
but then wouldn’t it be private information of the driver so conflict with privacy laws?

Nope, the law allows for and in fact insists that, the operator checks the information. That information is no more private than that recorded on a tacho chart, remember the digital tacho card isn’t even the property of the driver.

Great, thanks for all of that! :smiley: