Tachograph Inspection

A driver noticed today that the calibration certificate is dated 09/10/14. I believe the tacho needs calibrating every 6 years and inspecting every 2. As this has run out of its inspection date is it ok to still drive without VOSA stepping in if he gets pulled?

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

A tachograph should be inspected at-least every 2 years,

If the driver is stopped he’s likely to be issued with an offence rectification notice, failure of the company to comply with the notice could result in further action against the company.

Page 195 here

Thank you for this. Really helpful going forward. Will keep a copy.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yes, it’s out of test but if the driver gets stopped then it won’t be his problem, just the operator’s.

Is this a digital or analogue tachograph as fine if it’s analogue?

Calibration is six yearly not two yearly for analogue. There is a two yearly inspection for analogue but it is not actually and MOT requirement.

Own Account Driver:
Is this a digital or analogue tachograph as fine if it’s analogue?

Calibration is six yearly not two yearly for analogue. There is a two yearly inspection for analogue but it is not actually and MOT requirement.

The penalty (if you can call it that :smiley: ) is the same for a digital or analogue tachograph.

The penalty being an “offence rectification notice”.

Yes, it’s basically advise (and often not even that) but the truck won’t pass MOT if the calibration has expired that applies to digi and analogue.

If the OP’s tacho is analogue and not digital it is in calibration and there’s no offence at all though.

One of our wagons (MAN) failed its’ mot because the tester couldn’t read the calibration sticker on the door frame. Maybe he was blind, dyslexic or retarded but nobody else has trouble reading it. Apparently it had to go to a tacho centre to get a new one and have an inspection. Only going by what boss told me, I haven’t used said truck for about a month.