Tachodisc iphone app

while bored on a loading bay this morning i came across a iphone app called “tachodisc” in the app store, it was free to download so i did, its got all the info you would expect it to have, summary of drivers hours regulations, road transport directive info, chart retention roadside check requirements, digital downloads guideline and a latest legal updates section.

it also has a DCPC section, but that dont say much really.

then it has a big section on digital tachograph guides, covering all aspects of using your digi card to instructions on how to operate the 3 different units you may come across, all very useful info

then finally it has a section where you can get in contact with tachodisc them selves if you need any help or or have a specific question

all in all i thoght this is a decent app, especially as its free, hope somebody finds it some help

But there are 4 digi tacho units

Although I have only used 2 of them

But dont have an iphone

I wonder if they have an app for android phones??

Mikey D:
I wonder if they have an app for android phones??

You could alway look on the apps :bulb:

animal:

But dont have an iphone

I’ve come across three. The siemens and two versions of the stonebridge. What’s the other one?

44 Tonne Ton:

animal:

But dont have an iphone

I’ve come across three. The siemens and two versions of the stonebridge. What’s the other one?

Siemens, Stoneridge, Grundig and Actia.

There is apparently one that identifies cargo too from the ADR triangle. A friend was eagerly doing this on all the trucks on the motorway that had them when she was coming down from Manchester to Midlands a few days ago. All was going well until she found one that didn’t have a number. Apparently it was a milk tanker :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Not sure what the app is but it’s something to do with cargo and it’s an android app. Perhaps we should have threads for ‘related industry apps’ for the phones :wink:

this one ?

appbrain.com/app/dangerous-g … erousgoods

there’s this for the iphone

iphone.xdreamteam.ch/en/dangerous-goods/

but I can only find a german version on my phone

called Gefahrgut

The German word Gefahrgut means: “dangerous goods” in English.

:bulb: No matter how well put together these ‘app’ thingys are, I’m sorry to say that there’s the potential to make some very costly mistakes if you rely on them.

As you are ‘in the know’ DD, is there a reccomended book or booklet or something for members who would like to have that information to hand. For example, most drivers won’t know what they can and can’t carry under the ADR regs.

You can’t necessarily say ‘no’ to everything that could be dangerous because some of it is small enough to be allowed, if you see what I mean :wink:

Saratoga:
As you are ‘in the know’ DD, is there a reccomended book or booklet or something for members who would like to have that information to hand. For example, most drivers won’t know what they can and can’t carry under the ADR regs.

Hi Saratoga,
I agree that most drivers won’t know what they can and can’t carry, but that’s because they’re not required to have that knowledge.
For UK domestic dangerous goods work, the requirement for drivers to have that knowledge ended at midnight on 09/05/2004, but for countries who use ADR as their domestic Regs, it ended much earleir than that.

ADR is very specific about the responsibilities of the various participants in the chain.
The consignor (= sender) and the carrier (= vehicle owner) must appoint a properly qualified DGSA.
The DGSA must (amongst a lot of other things) deal with ADR compliance, or see to it that compliance is achieved.

Saratoga:
You can’t necessarily say ‘no’ to everything that could be dangerous because some of it is small enough to be allowed, if you see what I mean :wink:

Quite right mate!!
Some of it is small enough (in terms of individual package size) to be allowed, and this concept is called “Limited Quantities.”

A completely different concept is that some of it is small enough (in terms of amount loaded on a vehicle) to be allowed, but there’s an allowance, which if exceeded, brings the full weight of ADR into play.

There are approx 3,500 dangerous substances and dangerous articles listed in ADR’s dangerous goods list, but then there are also mixtures and solutions so the actual number of substances is almost infinite.

Add to that the fact that each substance may have special provisions (SPs) attaching, then you’ll see why a driver with an iPhone isn’t going to be able to accurately say whether, or how much of ADR applies to any particular job. It’s just not the kind of info that can be ‘googled’ either, because sometimes there are calculations to be made.

If you’re good at looking stuff up, please check ADR 1.8.3.1 to discover who needs a DGSA and a little look at ADR 1.8.3.3 will tell you a DGSA’s responsibilities.
The good thing about DGSA is that it’s not the kind of job that a boss can just give to somebody because it’s a proper qualification, there are no grandfather rights, so exams must be taken and a DGSA certificate obtained.

In cases of any doubt, my general adivce to drivers is that they should ask the sender to write on your paperwork “not subject to ADR” or “Limited Quantities” or whatever their reason is for telling you that what they’re asking to to carry is exempted in some way.
Asking them to write their signature just after that tends to focus their minds a little. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

44 Tonne Ton:

animal:

But dont have an iphone

Siemens, Stoneridge, Grundig and Actia.

Ok cheers Neil. Bet ya know who uses the Grundig and Actia!

dieseldave:
In cases of any doubt, my general adivce to drivers is that they should ask the sender to write on your paperwork “not subject to ADR” or “Limited Quantities” or whatever their reason is for telling you that what they’re asking to to carry is exempted in some way.
Asking them to write their signature just after that tends to focus their minds a little. :wink:

An excellent peice of advice Dave, thank you very much :slight_smile:

I shall also look up the documents you suggested as I still have some free google time left amongst the housework left :smiley: