tacho

Jennie:
whilst on subject ::::

Monday had to change veh as brakes went on first so took analogue tacho out of first veh and put in second recording new veh details on back , now i know I put the chart in correctly but the second half of my reading has come out in the early hours of the morning , all the times are a complete mirror of afternoon so eg 1300 has come out at 0100 hrs so i have a chart with first veh starting at 0730 and the second veh recording from instead of 1145 …2345 im still wondering what to do or write on it , the gaffer took a photocopy and told me not to worry he knows what I have worked and if stopped just explain but i still think I have to write something on back just dont know what , any suggestions , :::

:confused: jen x

Did you check the clock on the display because it sounds like it was 12 hours out ?

Personally I’d write an explanation on the back of the chart, but I’d still try not to show it to VOSA :laughing:

Hopefully this video will help if you ever find yourself in the same situation again.

The whirring noise you hear in the video when the clock is set is the tachograph spindle setting itself to the correct position relevant to the set time.

thanks tachograph it was one of the pull out tachos with key at 12 oclock pull down insert tacho chart and then lock back up and clock was little clock face so could of been set to am ■■ just have to keep fingers crossed that vosa dont see it :wink: an if they do belive my explanation ,
jx

Jennie:
clock was little clock face so could of been set to am ■■

That sounds about right, as far as I’m aware the only way to check is to notice where the pins are relevant to the time on the chart.

This video doesn’t actually show how to change the time but does point out the wheel for changing the time.

I’ve never changed the time on one of these but assume the wheel for changing the clock also changes the spindle location.

Might be useful to someone

tachograph:

Jennie:
clock was little clock face so could of been set to am ■■

That sounds about right, as far as I’m aware the only way to check is to notice where the pins are relevant to the time on the chart.

This video doesn’t actually show how to change the time but does point out the wheel for changing the time.

I’ve never changed the time on one of these but assume the wheel for changing the clock also changes the spindle location.

We have a 4 series Scania with this type of tachograph and there is no way to tell from the outside whether the clock is correct or 12 hours out.
It can be worked out by inserting the chart, looking at the needles and seeing whether they line up with the current time or 12 hours away.
The easy way to find out is to insert a chart, let it run for a few minutes and then remove it and see where the trace is.
Not really a good idea in the middle of a working day.
I would say that a simple explanation on the back of the offending chart, ie “Clock in [reg no of lorry] found to be set 12 hours out in error when chart removed” would be adequate for the average VOSA officer.
In these days of digital tachographs I expect that a driver would be allowed a little slack for not knowing all about what is now almost a bit of history. :slight_smile:
Turning the wheel at the side does indeed turn the card spindle round as it moves the hands on the clock on the tachograph face.
Obviously, the clock turns fully round twice while the spindle turns fully round once, hence the ability to set the clock to the apparently right time that
is, in fact 12 hours wrong.

Regards,
Nick