tacho/WTD

couple of questions that have sprung up at work recently and not sure of the answer,

we do multidrop work but some times are short, a 45 min break is programmed into the day but at times the break is programmed for say 10 mins before getting back to yard, as we may do less then 4.5 driving we should not have to take the 45 min break, maybe 1/2 hour fpr the WTD am I correct?

the other thing was I was sent sent out in the 7.5t the other day, came to an incident or slow traffic on the motorway am I stil allowed to enter the 3rd lane even though the truck has a limiter?

cheers

you got it right.

after 4.5 hours driving or before, you need a 45 minute break. “tacho rules”
after 6 hours work, which will include driving, you need a 30 minute break. “wtd rules”
you can enter the outside lane of a motorway if lane 1 or 2 is blocked as this effectively makes it a 2 lane motoray.

dle1uk:
couple of questions that have sprung up at work recently and not sure of the answer,

we do multidrop work but some times are short, a 45 min break is programmed into the day but at times the break is programmed for say 10 mins before getting back to yard, as we may do less then 4.5 driving we should not have to take the 45 min break, maybe 1/2 hour fpr the WTD am I correct?

the other thing was I was sent sent out in the 7.5t the other day, came to an incident or slow traffic on the motorway am I stil allowed to enter the 3rd lane even though the truck has a limiter?

cheers

No to 7.5 in lane 3. if that is the outer lane if limiter fitted but in slow moving traffic you did not compromise safety - only the law and you would be unlikely to get caught.

How long is your working day :question: as that will be the deciding factor as to how much breaks are needed for WTD.

At or before the 6 hour point, a break of at least 15 mins MUST be taken and then the rest would depend on the answer given to the question above

cheers guys,

don,t do very long days very often, usual day is about 07 till 14
and would usually squezze a 45 break in this but there are days especially recently when we may leave yard 730 ish and can be back about 12 ish with total drive time being about 3 hrs, which is why the original question as at times we are programmed to have 45 break after the last delivery on way back to yard which i thought was a bit uncalled and unneeded, we are salary paid so longer hours when its busy for no extra so obviously we want to foxtrot oscar ASAP when its quiet.

0700 to 1400 = 7 hour shift with less than 4.5 hours driving time so only the WTD has to be satisfied.

As the shift is between 6 & 9 hours then total breaks of 30 mins are required - not 45 mins

As long as the first 15 mins break is done at or before 1pm and then the second is taken before, and not at, end of shift, then you are ok.

Easiest way would be to take a 30 min break at or before 1pm if you are sure that you will not exceed 4.5 hours driving before end of shift

The Regulations require that:
mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break

If you start at 0700 and finish at or before 1259 and the driving time does not reach 4.5 hours then no breaks will be required at all :exclamation: :exclamation: