Tacho that goes on break automatically

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

the maoster:

Carryfast:
From memory some trucks were also fitted with the automatic analogue type tachos which switched between ‘other work’ and driving based on movement.
So stopped in traffic etc obviously created the situation of a false record being made on the chart.Bearing in mind there was no way to select driving manually.
The things were a total liability.

How exactly was a false record created? If the wheels are rolling you are driving. If the wheels aren’t rolling you are in attendance but you are not physically moving/driving. Therefore by extension a driver in a vehicle that is in stationary traffic is carrying out “other work”. An aircraft on the ground is not flying, it’s a relatively simple concept.

It’s a false record because waiting and queuing in traffic etc in charge of a vehicle on the highway, as opposed to correctly parked, is driving not other work.
I don’t ever remember being told to switch a manual tacho to other work when waiting in traffic at traffic lights or at junctions to save driving time.Just as it’s illegal to use a mobile phone when waiting in traffic etc it’s still considered as driving in both cases.
By your logic you could book being stopped at a level crossing or every set of red traffic traffic lights as other work.Or if it’s a 15 minute or 30 minute hold up on the motorway, as break so long as you’re using the phone to watch YouTube and eating a sandwich.Good luck with that.

If you’d been stopped this century you’d perhaps realise that this is a non issue mostly because common sense is applied and a analogue tacho will just revert to whatever mode you left it on when you stop

By definition a manual analogue tacho won’t ‘revert’ to anything it will only record whatever the mode switch was/is set to.
I liked the previous century except for those dodgy automatic tachos.
Manual tachos, if not log books on the council, and no speed limiters were mostly what I worked with, luckily.
I didn’t like auto tachos as I said because they created a false other work record where a manual tacho would have been left switched to driving.

FFS you’re so staggeringly against everything arent you. Against automatic tachos has to be a first. You seem to approach every single thing with the attitude ‘now, what can I find to hate about this then?’ :smiley: You’re like a black of of negative energy :smiley: One of these days you’ll implode and take us all with you :wink:

And apologies I didn’t see you were talking about manual tachos. Partly because I’ve never actually seen one in real life

switchlogic:
FFS you’re so staggeringly against everything arent you. Against automatic tachos has to be a first. You seem to approach every single thing with the attitude ‘now, what can I find to hate about this then?’ :smiley: You’re like a black of of negative energy :smiley: One of these days you’ll implode and take us all with you :wink:

And apologies I didn’t see you were talking about manual tachos. Partly because I’ve never actually seen one in real life

The two different types shown here.They both used totally different charts because they used a different type of trace reading.So we generally had to carry both types of charts incase we had to use different vehicles and the other different spigot mounting type for Veeder Root.

ebay.co.uk/itm/234921634268

ebay.co.uk/itm/195582942685

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

The two different types shown here.They both used totally different charts because they used a different type of trace reading.So we generally had to carry both types of charts incase we had to use different vehicles and the other different spigot mounting type for Veeder Root.

ebay.co.uk/itm/234921634268

ebay.co.uk/itm/195582942685

Edit those are both automatic.
This looks like a proper manual one.

images.app.goo.gl/FprFgQpKNFU1m6Ca9

Carryfast said;

I might be wrong, I often am, but the two photos both show ‘Automatic’ Tachographs.

The clue is in the word ‘Automatic’ displayed on the instrument panel. Additionally, the mode switch for the driver record has only three positions; ‘work,’ ‘availability’ and ‘break/rest.’ Irrespective of what the driver set the mode switch to, the Tachograph would ‘automatically’ show a driving mode trace when the instrument received impulses or ‘turns’ from the gearbox sender unit. If the Tachographs had been ‘manual’ types then the driver mode switch would have four positions available; ‘driving,’ ‘availability,’ ‘work’ and ‘break rest.’

The one with the square mounting plate fitted to the front is a model 1318, it used to be the most numerous unit out there. However, the fact that we’ve had digital Tachographs required by law since 2006 means that crown has now been taken by the 1327 (VDO digital Tachograph). The other Tachograph looks like a Lucas Kienzel 1311, using a Bowden cable drive rather than electrical impulses from a Hall Effect motion sensor.

You’re right about carrying different types of chart but there were many types. Some related to the shape of the drive peg on the chart table. Some related to whether the chart was for ‘automatic’ or ‘manual’ Tachographs. Others related to the maximum speed recorded by the Tachograph. Ask drivers doing France how much fun it was in France with an early Actos fitted with a 90 Km/h Tachograph (VDO 1319) when they were using a 125 Km/h chart and having a chat with the Gendarmes. There were even ‘universal’ charts, but they weren’t often as universal as people thought!

Here endeth the next Tachograph lesson.

geebee45:
Carryfast said;

I might be wrong, I often am, but the two photos both show ‘Automatic’ Tachographs.

The clue is in the word ‘Automatic’ displayed on the instrument panel. Additionally, the mode switch for the driver record has only three positions; ‘work,’ ‘availability’ and ‘break/rest.’ Irrespective of what the driver set the mode switch to, the Tachograph would ‘automatically’ show a driving mode trace when the instrument received impulses or ‘turns’ from the gearbox sender unit. If the Tachographs had been ‘manual’ types then the driver mode switch would have four positions available; ‘driving,’ ‘availability,’ ‘work’ and ‘break rest.’

The one with the square mounting plate fitted to the front is a model 1318, it used to be the most numerous unit out there. However, the fact that we’ve had digital Tachographs required by law since 2006 means that crown has now been taken by the 1327 (VDO digital Tachograph). The other Tachograph looks like a Lucas Kienzel 1311, using a Bowden cable drive rather than electrical impulses from a Hall Effect motion sensor.

You’re right about carrying different types of chart but there were many types. Some related to the shape of the drive peg on the chart table. Some related to whether the chart was for ‘automatic’ or ‘manual’ Tachographs. Others related to the maximum speed recorded by the Tachograph. Ask drivers doing France how much fun it was in France with an early Actos fitted with a 90 Km/h Tachograph (VDO 1319) when they were using a 125 Km/h chart and having a chat with the Gendarmes. There were even ‘universal’ charts, but they weren’t often as universal as people thought!

Here endeth the next Tachograph lesson.

I know I posted a correct one.
I was confused by the driving symbol which at face value reminded me of the manual type and missed/didn’t bother looking for the automatic label.The rest all stands.
Automatic and Veeder Root different with their own quirks.
The Veeder Root was a nightmare if the clock and mounting ‘key’ got dropped on the floor at night let alone lost or no charts for it.
The automatic as stated again different charts and putting a duty line where a driving line should be.
It looks like nothing has changed regarding the latter except now it’s even worse booking break when it should be booking driving.