tacho settings

Hi all,

New to trucking recently passed my cat C. been doing agency work for the odd days here and there.
Currently getting my head around the driving hours etc.

However I Do have one question regarding driver hours hoping you could help me.

When I start a shift for example 6am my load is not ready so I put my tacho on other work whilst I do the vehicle checks then sit in the cab for a bit to wait for my load to be ready for loading, I set my tacho to POA. Then when I am back at the depot and unloaded with nothing to do till end of my shift, should I set my tacho to break or POA.
Does POA count towards driving time? For example if I start driving then I can only drive up to 4.5 hours and have a 45 minute break etc. does the POA setting count towards breaks or driving times?

benoo:
Hi all,

New to trucking recently passed my cat C. been doing agency work for the odd days here and there.

When I start a shift for example 6am my load is not ready so I put my tacho on other work whilst I do the vehicle checks then sit in the cab for a bit to wait for my load to be ready for loading, I set my tacho to POA. Then when I am back at the depot and unloaded with nothing to do till end of my shift, should I set my tacho to break or POA.
Does POA count towards driving time? For example if I start driving then I can only drive up to 4.5 hours and have a 45 minute break etc. does the POA setting count towards breaks or driving times?

Drivng time only counts as driving time
POA counts as POA
Break counts as break
Other work counts as other work
None of those counts for another

POA and break do not count towards the WORK done in a shift for the RTD (WTD) but that has nothing to do with the EU tacho regs

Many digi tachos will think that POA counts as break for driving time so be aware of that issue

benoo:
Hi all,

If you get paid for breaks it always best to use break rather than POA, neither break not POA count towards your driving time or your working time.

A digital tachograph will wrongly count POA as break and reset your driving time on the tachograph display, which could be confusing for you if you don’t manually keep track of the driving time.