Tacho Rules?

Hi.

Starting a new role and with us leaving the EU and following UK rules.

I’m on shift 6 days on and 3 days off.

6am till 6pm then the next week 12 lunch time to midnight am I able to work 12 hour shifts 6 days in a row in this pattern as long as I dont exceed the 9 hour driving rule unless twice a week extended to ten hours.

As it says about a maximum working week but I assume that on about driving hours not working loading unloading vehicles and driving between

RecoveryDriver1:
Hi.

6am till 6pm then the next week 12 lunch time to midnight am I able to work 12 hour shifts 6 days in a row in this pattern as long as I dont exceed the 9 hour driving rule unless twice a week extended to ten hours.

As it says about a maximum working week but I assume that on about driving hours not working loading unloading vehicles and driving between

Are you saying that you are going to be working under GB Domestic Rules?
Before or after Jan 1st makes no difference that I can see?
.Edit. might be a fishing trip, but I’m treating it as genuine.

Franglais:

Likewise

Usually Recovery Drivers are exempt from EU hours/DCPC etc as long as they’re not returning repaired vehicles.
If that’s all it is, then RecoveryDriver1 you’re on Domestic rules and can drive 10 hours, be on duty 11 hours, rests & breaks must be “adequate” but in line with WTD/RTD rules. So that shift pattern would be fine .

Jan 1st? Makes no difference, EU hours are staying as is, only thing that could change is the name.

RecoveryDriver1:
Hi.

Are you on EU regs or UK domestic regs :question:

RecoveryDriver1:
Hi.

There is no change. If you’re already running under EU drivers hours then you’ll continue to run to those after the end of December as under the Withdrawal Act all EU laws are signed into UK law.

Conor:

RecoveryDriver1:
Hi.

There is no change. If you’re already running under EU drivers hours then you’ll continue to run to those after the end of December as under the Withdrawal Act all EU laws are signed into UK law.

Absolutely.
Jan 1st isn’t the day we all disconnect tachographs, and dust off our old log books. We won’t be running at 60mph…ish…with no speed limiter, and Euro 6 won’t be a memory as our new Eminox stacks blow pure coal dust into the sky.

Zac_A:
Jan 1st? Makes no difference, EU hours are staying as is, only thing that could change is the name.

Yep it’s called BRINO.
As opposed to ‘domestic’ means what it says on the tin.All ‘domestic’ operations/journeys.
AETR rules for International operations/journeys only.
While if we’re leaving on Jan 1st then the European Communities Act will obviously be repealed before the parliamentary Christmas recess.

The only thing I would add is eu rules exemption for recovery is within 100km of your operating base, if you go outside of that area then you are expected to go over to card / tacho disc and obey daily restrictions for the day / shift as per eu regs and have sufficient weekly rest as dictated by eu regs. I am under the impression some larger operators treat it as within 100k of any of their bases, which may be taking a slight liberty. I know of one case of a driver getting caught without card in tacho before he travelled outside of the 100k radius, but both his paperwork amnd the customers on the back seats let vosa know where he was heading…

Franglais:

RecoveryDriver1:
Hi.

Are you saying that you are going to be working under GB Domestic Rules?
Before or after Jan 1st makes no difference that I can see?

Probably is,
joined Nov 3rd
posted Nov 4th
with a total load of BS
and hasn’t replied yet and probably wont :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Hey, sorry for the delay in replying appears I dont get email notifications to say a response has been made.

So the company I work for does emergency rescue for Highways England, Police but we also do contractual work body shops repairs delivery and collection etc plus storage delivery and collection of Auction Cars and Brand new vehicles plus fleet.

Therefore we choose not to operate under the expectations rules.

Therefore tacho is run daily. 12hr shift as a basic.

Therefore to comply within any current rule as we I am only operating UK Based not travelling out the country I can run UK Domestic Tacho rules.

Therefore I’m a bit rusty as previously was exempt for the 100km which is around 62 miles.

My knowledge to keep myself save

Driving hours maximum of 9 hours extended to 10 hours twice a week.

A 15 minute break by 6 hours of working time and a further 30 minute by 9 hours and before 4:30 hrs of driving time. If I need to extend past 9 hours of driving hours I would need to take an additional 15 minute break.

That keeps me safe for a 6 days working and 3 rest days.

What if I need to run extra shifts.

What if my shifts run over and I need to complete a 13, 14, 15 hour shift for any emergency crisis work yes I’m exempt but we operate tacho rules to keep employees safe and a fairer game.

Let me know

RecoveryDriver1:
Hey, sorry for the delay in replying appears I dont get email notifications to say a response has been made.

So the company I work for does emergency rescue for Highways England, Police but we also do contractual work body shops repairs delivery and collection etc plus storage delivery and collection of Auction Cars and Brand new vehicles plus fleet.

Therefore to comply within any current rule as we I am only operating UK Based not travelling out the country I can run UK Domestic Tacho rules.

Therefore I’m a bit rusty as previously was exempt for the 100km which is around 62 miles.

My knowledge to keep myself save

Driving hours maximum of 9 hours extended to 10 hours twice a week.

A 15 minute break by 6 hours of working time and a further 30 minute by 9 hours and before 4:30 hrs of driving time. If I need to extend past 9 hours of driving hours I would need to take an additional 15 minute break.

That keeps me safe for a 6 days working and 3 rest days.

What if I need to run extra shifts.

What if my shifts run over and I need to complete a 13, 14, 15 hour shift for any emergency crisis work yes I’m exempt but we operate tacho rules to keep employees safe and a fairer game.

Let me know

It is not up to anyone to “choose” which rules they run to.
If you are carrying vehicles which are anything apart from breakdowns, and even those no more than 100km, you are under EU regs.
No choice involved.
gov.uk/drivers-hours/exemptions-from-eu-law
Body shop, auctions etc are certainly under EU regs. No choice involved.
Jan 1st nothing changes.

Staggering amount of conflation of different “knowledge” of rules, which
TBH does even more to make this look like a fishing trip.

As Franglais has suggested, try reading the info on drivers hours on gov.uk, it’s reasonably plain English that everyone should be able to understand.

Zac_A:
Staggering amount of conflation of different “knowledge” of rules, which
TBH does even more to make this look like a fishing trip.

As Franglais has suggested, try reading the info on drivers hours on gov.uk, it’s reasonably plain English that everyone should be able to understand.

Wanna bet ?
How long til we hear “it’s a grey area of law”?
Hmm. Self defeating prophesy maybe?
Bookies luve me.

I come on here to ask for advice.

If you dont have the answer I need simply don’t bother responding it’s a waste of my time.

You can choose to run a tacho as an O License business or you can choose to operate under your exemption

Exemptions

You do not need to follow the GB domestic rules if you:

are dealing with an emergency - for example, a major disruption to public services or danger to life

We operate 24 hours a day to ensure the drivers are safe therefore I am asking for advice about keeping compliment if I run 6 days on working and 3 days off how can I extend to working extra hours beyond 12 hours a day and what is my maximum working etc.

Do I need to use POA while waiting for work load or other work etc.

RecoveryDriver1:
I come on here to ask for advice.

If you dont have the answer I need simply don’t bother responding it’s a waste of my time.

You can choose to run a tacho as an O License business or you can choose to operate under your exemption

Exemptions

You do not need to follow the GB domestic rules if you:

are dealing with an emergency - for example, a major disruption to public services or danger to life

We operate 24 hours a day to ensure the drivers are safe therefore I am asking for advice about keeping compliment if I run 6 days on working and 3 days off how can I extend to working extra hours beyond 12 hours a day and what is my maximum working etc.

Do I need to use POA while waiting for work load or other work etc.

Since you don’t like the pointers you’ve been given, I’ll stand aside and let someone give you an answer you want to hear.

You’ve asked for advice yet you’re telling people who are offering advice that they are wrong?

Everything you need to know is on the gov.uk link you’ve been given, but you can’t begin to learn something you believe you already know. For example you’re mixing WTD/RTD breaks while describing EU hours, you wrote “UK Domestic Tacho rules” which is nonsensical.

Some of the work you’ve described would mean you’d need to be operating under EU regs so you’d need a DQC and would need to do periodic DCPC; any decent Driver’s Hours DCPC would address all your questions and more.

In the meantime Conor has a video on his YT channel that might help you out
youtube.com/watch?v=H3_U_eoo9o8

you can only ‘work’ max 60hrs per week, so use POA when you can. Your week is period between 2 weekly rests.

RecoveryDriver1:

Your company didn’t choose, it is legally required to operate tachographs and comply with EU drivers hours.

No you can’t, you have to run to EU drivers hours rules. My company never leaves the UK, it only has a national operators licence as do the vast majority of UK lorries in this country - every lorry in the UK with a blue O licence disc in the window - and we all have to run under EU riles.

What if my shifts run over and I need to complete a 13, 14, 15 hour shift for any emergency crisis work yes I’m exempt

No you are not exempt. You are legally required to drive to EU drivers hours rules and to also comply with the Working Time Directive (Mobile Workers) Regulations.

Maybe I can tentatively suggest that your employer should be answering your questions?

If he/she doesn’t know I would be rather concerned.

Right. So I posted this post on the basis of not fully knowing if I would be transporting only or breakdowns only. The law is GREY always has been within this sector because you are exempt from it for breakdowns yet if you do auctions etc you must also follow tacho rules so you wouldnt be sticking your card in and out like a yoyo.

So I’m running tacho 12 hour shifts 6 days a week.

I am following EU guidelines which means up to 6 working hours I must have a fifteen minute break between 6 and 9 hours a further fifteen minutes or a total of 30 minute break and over 9 hours a 45 minute break. Driving time is every 4 and 30 hours driving I must complete a 45 minute break.

The bit in puzzled on. From time to time I could spend 1 hour or 4 hours with no workload due to covid 19 etc

What is classed as a break?

A break is any period of time during your working day when you are not carrying out
any driving or any other work. This time must be used just to relax and recuperate.

It is not clear here. If I am not allocated any work and am waiting for any work to be emailed to me am I allowed to use that period of time as a working rest break as it not covered under POA as most be pre planned and our work is unknown at all times.

So if I have a 12 hour shifts and for 6 hours there is no work allocated and I am just sat like a duck can i use that as a allocated break? Or is that not compliant

I am pending an email back from our driving liaison manager to clarify but would like to hear from others