Tacho rules for classic trucks

BUMP: I have to say, it’s very frustrating when a Private HGV of 24 years and 8 months vintage, fails a 6 yearly tacho check - a check that has to be done (when the vehicle is under 25), even though driving a solo tractor unti taxed as ‘Private’ is considered ‘Out of Scope’ by VOSA in terms of using a disc when driving. Of course, without this check, the vehicle can’t be MOT’d. Cruel!!! Anybody else had this■■?

hiya its a joke you need a calibration 4x6 years up to 25 years so its one calibration after 24 for nothing.
how many 25 year old trucks do you see still on the road earning a crust. 6 or 7 at the most. just a way
of ripping you off. my AECs well out of it at 50years old.
John

I always put a card in mine ,I been stopped en route to Llandudno ,it’s some times the first thing they ask for .needed or not if the easy things are done they don’t look as hard at the rest and move on to the next man.

mrpj:
If it’s over 7.5t it’ll need a tacho unless it’s over 25 years old as that’s when it gains ‘historic status’

Its just hit me that some of the first trucks I drove are now classed as historic. :cry:

@3300john. Yep, its crazy. I took mine in and was prepared to pay the £80 for a 6yr check as this was a requirement for an mot as it had not been done since 2010 when truck was in service. They failed it on not changing mode between ‘other work’ and ‘rest’ when switched. That was all and all other functions are fine. To get it through an mot now will require a new tacho head to be fitted at considerable expense - even though by late Dec it will all be academic anyway as by then it will be 25 years old. So obviously have to wait till then and cancel plans i had meantime.

Stu190:
Hi guys, seen a classic tractor unit i’m rather interested in and currently doing all the finances etc etc…

But when asked about regulations such as using a tacho i can’t remember what exactly the rules are for vehicles not being used for work. As it will be taxed private vehicle and such, do i have to use a card and write ‘not for hire reward’ on the back or what?

Any help greatly appreciated :smiley:

Cheers

Stu

Assuming that you’re not going to pull a trailer with it then it’s exempt from EU regulations because it will never be used to carry goods, be aware though that a trailer would be regarded as goods for the unit so would bring it in-scope.

It’s also exempt from domestic rules because it won’t be used for hire or reward.

Hi Tachograph - remember this thread is over 3yrs old, so the OP is most likely aware of that info now. I had resurected this thread rather than start a new one as it seemed relevant enough to the question/points i wanted to raise.

Ooops I only looked at the date of the posts above mine :blush:

Thanks for the pointer :wink:

Fill one of these in at MOT time. Available at the test station.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … n-form.pdf

Hi guys, seen a classic tractor unit i’m rather interested in and currently doing all the finances etc etc…

But when asked about regulations such as using a tacho i can’t remember what exactly the rules are for vehicles not being used for work. As it will be taxed private vehicle and such, do i have to use a card and write ‘not for hire reward’ on the back or what?

Any help greatly appreciated :smiley:

Cheers

Stu

its your personal toy
i would use card just for the record, endorsed private mileage
it will help you keep a track of running distances to shows etc.

If you became a proffessional old truck shower then maybe you would have to keep an official record

Ah right i see, thanks for that hitch :slight_smile: - Would bung a card in anyway just for peace of mind, but yes it would only be for a few shows a year rather then being pro shower :smiley:

I rarely ever use one when I’m going to shows, may be just the Truckfest type ones as there is a authorities presence and my Dad makes me do it!

A handy hint though is…

Depending on the age of the wagon just make sure that the 2 year and 6 year checks are done as it can fail the test on that (talking from costly experience). I think after 25 years you are exempt but I’m not 100% sure. Make sure there’s a sticker too. VOSA seem to be getting tougher on tachos in preserved wagons in recent years for some reason :smiley:

If it’s over 7.5t it’ll need a tacho unless it’s over 25 years old as that’s when it gains ‘historic status’

Thanks for that Marc, something i or my dad didn’t know. I guess assuming it’s classic means just service and mot it (you know what they say about assumption! :wink: )

So 2 years check, if it’s what i think it is, take it to a HGV mechanic and have it proffesionaly inspected and signed off for record keeping?

Sorry for the n00b questions here, just doing research into what we got to do to keep the ministry men happy :smiley:

But regarding the 25 years status, the truck im looking at is bang on that made in 1985 so right on the limit if we buy it now, but wont be shown til next year so will be into the historic staus :sunglasses:

As far as I can recall as long as the tacho has been calibrated at some time in the past it can be used as a speedometer on historic vehicles, ie over 25 years old.

I have a coach that is 34 and has passed MOT’s without a current calibration being required.

Stu190:
But regarding the 25 years status, the truck im looking at is bang on that made in 1985 so right on the limit if we buy it now, but wont be shown til next year so will be into the historic status :sunglasses:

You don’t realise how old that makes me feel :blush:

My first new truck as an O/D was registered in 1985!

waddy640:
As far as I can recall as long as the tacho has been calibrated at some time in the past it can be used as a speedometer on historic vehicles, ie over 25 years old.

I have a coach that is 34 and has passed MOT’s without a current calibration being required.

i am probably wrong as usually am :smiley: but i thought they scrapped the historic vehicle class years ago?
did it not used to be 25 yrs but when they scrapped it anyone with a veh over 25 yrs retained the historic vehicle status but it was no longer available to vehicles attaining 25 yrs of age also you do not have to tax a historic vehicle they are tax free and the v5 is stamped as historic ved free, as far as i know the last vehicles tax free and officialy classed as historic had to be manufactured before 31/12/1972. but i am probably wrong :smiley:

Stu190:
Thanks for that Marc, something i or my dad didn’t know. I guess assuming it’s classic means just service and mot it (you know what they say about assumption! :wink: )

So 2 years check, if it’s what i think it is, take it to a HGV mechanic and have it proffesionaly inspected and signed off for record keeping?

Sorry for the n00b questions here, just doing research into what we got to do to keep the ministry men happy :smiley:

But regarding the 25 years status, the truck im looking at is bang on that made in 1985 so right on the limit if we buy it now, but wont be shown til next year so will be into the historic staus :sunglasses:

2 years and 6 years with an approved tachograph centre but not sure of the 25 years exemption as others have pointed out. The cost of the MOT is something to consider though…nearly £100 if I can remember. Tax isn’t too bad as its the same as a car, at one point we were paying less for a B series than for my old 1.6 litre Alfa Romeo

green456:

waddy640:

i am probably wrong as usually am :smiley: but i thought they scrapped the historic vehicle class years ago?
did it not used to be 25 yrs but when they scrapped it anyone with a veh over 25 yrs retained the historic vehicle status but it was no longer available to vehicles attaining 25 yrs of age also you do not have to tax a historic vehicle they are tax free and the v5 is stamped as historic ved free, as far as i know the last vehicles tax free and officialy classed as historic had to be manufactured before 31/12/1972. but i am probably wrong :smiley:

I took the definition from the VOSA guide. They are listed under those vehicle exempt from tachos. The taxation aspect of historic vehicles was changed by Gordon Brown in 1998. As of that time those vehicles that qualified retained the class but after that date vehicles are taxed as PLG or private HGV and pay the the approprite VED.