Tacho renewal? You joking?

Just got the letter through the post to renew my tacho…32quid, are you ffing kidding me. What an absolute scam, why do I need to renew it? What am I paying 32 quid for?

Lorry driving is a mugs game, I just do 2-3 days a month nowadays and I’m starting to think twice about that!

Renewal is only £19.

Does that work out at about 7p a day over the 5 years? Not the end of the world is it?

LOL! The money we earn as drivers and someone moaning about a measly 32quid to keep their job for the next 5yrs… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You could always go stacking shelves!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sounds like you’ve been targeted by Nigerian scammers, as there is nothing that costs 32 quid that relates to digicards.

Swansea, SA99 1BZ with a fee of £19 for expired cards or £32 if your card has been withdrawn or suspended.
from renewal form on gov site

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The most anyone pays for a digi card is £38 for
(1)First application
(2)Suspended or revoked
(3) Change of Country or State
All the rest are £19 or free
Don`t be such a tight arse £19 for 5 years is absolutely peanuts for doing at most 180 hrs in 5 years

Even better when your employer pays for it [emoji846]

its not just the cost of the card though, doctors opticians, dcpc … these expenses just seem to be never ending, and for what, a job that barely pays more than the minimum with everyone treating and talking to you as if you were some sort of numpty.

I had been thinking of getting going again on a part time basis to help fund my retirement, but I am far from convinced its worth the cost. In comparison I have by chance got into doing some landscape gardening, fancy title for digging holes for ponds and shifting soil and rocks about by hand, only qualification needed is a strong pair of shoulders. Can easy get £15 an hour - job I’m doing at the moment is converting a garden on a steep slope to rocky walls and flat bits (tiering?) the woman comes out with tea and cake every couple of hours, and I’m even getting paid even whilst enjoying these wonderful breaks, her and her friends think I’m wonderful and there is enough work on offer to keep me going indefinitely. Certainly beats sitting in some smelly windowless RDC on an unpaid break listening to some fat zb who thinks he was in the SAS.

Blues Circles, ■■■■■■■ me self laughing when I read your post, As I am just having my coffee break doing exactly what you doing with a mini digger and small dumper
And lovely sunshine better than stuck on M6 on a Friday, done it for 47 years
but want to keep active.
Will do a bit more driving later in the year to keep my hand in. Just renewed my digi card £19

Bluey Circles:
its not just the cost of the card though, doctors opticians, dcpc … these expenses just seem to be never ending, and for what, a job that barely pays more than the minimum with everyone treating and talking to you as if you were some sort of numpty.

I had been thinking of getting going again on a part time basis to help fund my retirement, but I am far from convinced its worth the cost. In comparison I have by chance got into doing some landscape gardening, fancy title for digging holes for ponds and shifting soil and rocks about by hand, only qualification needed is a strong pair of shoulders. Can easy get £15 an hour - job I’m doing at the moment is converting a garden on a steep slope to rocky walls and flat bits (tiering?) the woman comes out with tea and cake every couple of hours, and I’m even getting paid even whilst enjoying these wonderful breaks, her and her friends think I’m wonderful and there is enough work on offer to keep me going indefinitely. Certainly beats sitting in some smelly windowless RDC on an unpaid break listening to some fat zb who thinks he was in the SAS.

Sounds great…

Obviously you’re declaring all these earnings to HMRC and paying all the necessary taxes?

We think we have it bad, just been reading a post on Facebook from somebody who does some sort of nursing, and she says she paid about £2500 in the last 7 years to continue to do what she’s already qualified to do.

yourhavingalarf:

Bluey Circles:

Sounds great…

Obviously you’re declaring all these earnings to HMRC and paying all the necessary taxes?

Of course but no taxes to pay - I’m a few years off receiving a pension and staying well below the 10K threshold is very easy.

Bluey Circles:

Kept my card and licence going for the first year after retiring when they reach renewal time,I had not used them,never bothered to renew again
Now I do what I want when I want all in my own time,all with the permission from her indoors.
I sit in the sunshine without doing anything, retired at 65 and 5 years later still enjoying doing what I want

HMRC formP87 if your driving on PAYE and get 20% of the digi card renewal cost @ back as tax relief. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Just renewed mine and it was ■■■■ easy.
So £19 for 5 years is excessive. If you’re a gas safe heating engineer expect to pay thousands each year to continue doing what you do. Yeah it’s a bit of an arse to have to pay again for something that need not be replaced but there’s plenty of other professions have to.

shep532:
Renewal is only £19.

Does that work out at about 7p a day over the 5 years? Not the end of the world is it?

Its not even that because you claim it as a tax deductible expense with a P87.

Bluey Circles:

So don’t pay it, sod off and go do something else instead.

Company should re-imburse, ask.

Anyone can claim back the costs from inland revenue for tacho cards including PAYE guys, which begs the question why the hell do you even need to pay for them in the first place :unamused: :confused:

I claimed back my last 19 pound renewal but they adjusted it into my tax code which is ■■■■■■■ useless :cry: wanted a cheque :imp: