Tacho records for longer break away from base

Hi folks,

I’m heading out from Scandinavia now towards Europe, and am going to be parked up for 4-5 days in the UK over Christmas.

The wagon is an older one with paper charts. I have an attestation form to cover the three days I had off before this trip, but what to do about the Christmas break? I’ll be staying with my dad - is it worth putting a new chart in every day?
This seems slightly OTT as any rational person would understand that I was having a few days off over Christmas, but of course I’ll be going back through France, where I know they can be a bit stricter than in Finland. A fortnight ago I had a bit of a struggle to convince one young Gendarme - who wanted to fine me - that ‘other work’ does not count as driving time. That was sorted once he called his supervisor but I still lost an hour out of the day.

What does the team think?? Maybe an emailed holiday attestation from my boss would help too?

Thanks
“Z”

If your truck is parked up and not moving I don’t see a problem, the mileage is not going to change. You will have charts to cover every day the truck is used and there will be no gaps in the mileage.

I never went into work at weekends to put a chart in :open_mouth:

before the introduction of the digi card, the germans started to make drivers put a card in every day. they even had to go back to the yard on there days off.
personally i wouldn’t bother. if you get stopped, and they threaten you with a fine, then tell them to sod off, and ask for it to be heard by a court. they will tell you this, and that about how much you will end up paying, but stand your ground, they will drop it.

Martin:
If your truck is parked up and not moving I don’t see a problem, the mileage is not going to change. You will have charts to cover every day the truck is used and there will be no gaps in the mileage.

I never went into work at weekends to put a chart in :open_mouth:

Ditto.

As long as the mileage is consecutive, then no problemo.

Ken.

limeyphil:
before the introduction of the digi card, the germans started to make drivers put a card in every day. they even had to go back to the yard on there days off.
personally i wouldn’t bother. if you get stopped, and they threaten you with a fine, then tell them to sod off, and ask for it to be heard by a court. they will tell you this, and that about how much you will end up paying, but stand your ground, they will drop it.

Stupid ruling from the krauts, but surely if they had you go in, then you are working, and they are encouraging you to break the law by working 7 days a week.

Ken.

Just write a card out for each day you have off, (no need for it to be in the tacho), showing the place, mileage (which, as others have said will remain the same), etc. take them back to the truck when you start work again and that will show a continuous record.

The charts you have used to get to the UK, the charts showing each day off and then the charts you have when you start work again, will be enough of a record.

This should satisfy all our European chums. After all if you had to go back to the truck every day, you wouldn’t be having a weekly rest would you, as that could be classed as other work! :astonished:

limeyphil:

Utter bollox

Manual chart for every day it is then, thanks very much everyone!

Inselaffe:

limeyphil:

Utter bollox

Great post,short and straight to the point. :laughing:

Inselaffe:

limeyphil:

Utter bollox

Total utter bollox.

It was only stoopid germans like stoopid englishmen who cannot understand simple rules.

Limey Phil and Brit Pete, do you ever see them together?

i would advise that you make the attestation activity form to cover the xmas break,just because your truck has not moved,how will the Gendarmes know that you have not jumped in to another truck with anologue tachos,then chucked them away.The form must not have any handwrting on it,except the signatures,and stamp would look good with the firms logo on it.
Or write out blank manual charts,so you do not have to go to the truck everyday to record a 24 hour cycle,like some have mentioned.

I would do nothing with extra charts and so on. The attestation letter is not legally required so just stand your ground and ask to see Le Grand Fromage or Der große Käse if stopped and given grief. You will have a chart with ending mileage on it and a few days later a chart with the same beginning mileage. Job done.

If you are that worried stick a blank chart in when you park up and leave it in until you go back.