Tacho recording breaks

Ok as some of you know I had issues getting my breaks in. got called into the office to go through all my errors. Boss suggested that I take 2 30 min breaks. to cover both wtd and driving time breaks. This morning I had a 35 minuet break while feeding my face waiting for a drop to open. when I got into the cab and got to my next drop and looked at the tacho it said I had only had a 15 min break. I then put it on break again at my 4th stop and registered 21 minuets again when I checked the tacho log it still said I only had done 15.

I know the second break has to be at least 30 minuets to count towards my driving break I just did it to see if the total would go up.

sorry for the silly question
coop

cooper1203:
This morning I had a 35 minuet break while feeding my face waiting for a drop to open. when I got into the cab and got to my next drop and looked at the tacho it said I had only had a 15 min break. I then put it on break again at my 4th stop and registered 21 minuets again when I checked the tacho log it still said I only had done 15.

I know the second break has to be at least 30 minuets to count towards my driving break I just did it to see if the total would go up.

sorry for the silly question
coop

That’s right. It’ll only record 15 minutes even if you take 44 minutes because you can only split the break into a 15m and 30m so anything at least 15 minutes but less than 45 minutes for your first rest period will be recorded as 15. It’ll not show any more from the 21 minute break at the 4th stop because you’d already recorded 15 minutes and it wasn’t at least 30 minutes which it would need to be to count towards your 45 min drivers hours break.

Two thirties suits multi-drop quite nicely. Fifteen minutes isn’t very long once you consider that you could stand in the queue at Greggs for almost that long.

Some would even visit the toilet, buy a paper, go to Greggs and then put in on a thirty.

The first 30 only counts as a 15 on the tacho.

ok thanks. long as I didn’t managed to mess it up somehow
coop

As said above only.need 15 then a 30.
If doing long distance best just goong then taking your full 45.
If multodrop/ local work take a 15 as. This you means can extend your working for a few more hours before second breaking needed.

It’ll record whatever you have as break, as break, but the display will display 15 as you still need 30 to reset your driving time.

If you do a printout it’ll show the breaks that you had.

If you’re struggling with the wtd, try this

There’s 2 parts to the wtd breaks.

1. The 6 hour rule
    you can’t work more than 6 hours at any point without a 15 min break, a break of 15 or more allows you to work upto another 6 hours before needing another 15 min break. This works the same as driving 4.5 hours and a 45. (Only driving and other work count as working time)

2. The total break
    This is dependent on the amount of working time in the shift, only driving and other work count as working time for the wtd.

0-6 hours of working time = 0 break required
Over 6 but not over 9 = 30 mins of break/s
Over 9 = 45 mins of break/s required.
A shift can only be have 1 of the 3 apply, so ignore the other 2

Breaks can be taken anywhere in the shift to count towards the total required, except the very beginning or end of the shift, so each break must have at least 1 min of work either side of it and they must be at least 15 mins long to count.

So anyone who drives over 4.5 hours in a shift will have a 45 for that and tick the total break box for any shift, so all they’ll need to worry about is the 6 hour rule.

This is the extreme example of what is legal

Work 6
Break 15
Work 6
Break 15
Work 2:14
Break 15
Work 1 min