Tacho Questions

I had an agency shift yesterday in a 7.5 Merc sprinter and I noticed that every time I stopped to do a drop the Tacho went straight on to break? Do they all do the Same?

I did set it to other work whilst unloading but when I checked a minute later it was back on break?

Also, where or how can you download the info of the card as required every 28 days?

TIA

jimmea:
I had an agency shift yesterday in a 7.5 Merc sprinter and I noticed that every time I stopped to do a drop the Tacho went straight on to break? Do they all do the Same?

I did set it to other work whilst unloading but when I checked a minute later it was back on break?

Also, where or how can you download the info of the card as required every 28 days?

TIA

Some tachos default to break, it can be annoying or helpful depending on you. Nothing you can do as an agency person.
I’m not aware of you having to have a download as your information will always be available on your card. I sometimes do a paper printout for my own records. Your employer is responsible for you downloading your card on their system after every shift.

Its uncommon but you will come across tachos set that way, at some point it will have been asked for and needs the dealer / workshop to change it.

You probably will find it mode switches between ignition on and 1st click accessory position. Annoying if you have turned the keys to get the tacho backlight up to see what you are doing then its swapped mode back after.

I recently lost half a 15 break when opening the window to pull my mirror in as someone was in tight on me, and worked the other way knocking me back to other work from break.

If you drive one all the time I guess it becomes second nature to swap it over each stop.

Take the keys out the ignition and then switch to other work and don’t used the ignition again as turning ignition on or off will default it back to break.

I’m guessing it is probably a Stoneridge tacho? If so that setting can be changed using the company card if you request it to be done they should do it so it does not default to break if anyone can be bothered.

A VDO tacho cannot be changed if that is set to default to break using a company card AFAIK.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

jimmea:

TIA

1. A digital tachograph can be set to default to break, other work or POA when the ignition is switched off, most default to either break or other work so you need to check each vehicle when you drive it for the first time.

2. You need to set the mode to other work when the ignition is switched off otherwise it will change to it’s default setting when you switch off the ignition.

3. The company you’re driving for supply the equipment to download the driver card data and it’s their responsibility to do so, ask in the office where to download the driver card data.
    Some companies require drivers, especially agency drivers, to download their driver card at the end of every shift and some don’t so ask in the office.

As for downloading your card you have to make it available for download every 28 days as per te law.

It would be your agency that should download your card, but you may be asked to do it the customers premises as well. Ask the question and any new assignment donwload your card every shift if done at the customers. Some customers will have one tacho reader for permanent staff and an agency one or may do both of one single machine.

Thanks all.

simcor:
As for downloading your card you have to make it available for download every 28 days as per te law.

It would be your agency that should download your card, but you may be asked to do it the customers premises as well. Ask the question and any new assignment donwload your card every shift if done at the customers. Some customers will have one tacho reader for permanent staff and an agency one or may do both of one single machine.

The transport operator you drive for has a legal obligation to download the data from the driver card, the agency/employer has no such legal obligation.

tachograph:

simcor:

The transport operator you drive for has a legal obligation to download the data from the driver card, the agency/employer has no such legal obligation.

Maybe they don’t have a legal obligation but I have seen places where they have a tacho reader only for permanent staff and separate one for agency staff but it is often rare.

As an agency driver you are employed by the agency not the customer so surprised agencies can get off so lightly without needing to keep such records.

Although in my past time as agency driver usually downloaded by the client and infringements from them are given to the agency to give to their drivers.

njl:

I recently lost half a 15 break when opening the window to pull my mirror in .

If you are aware it’s changed, and are quick enough to change it back to break within 30 seconds, you won’t lose your initial break period (even if you have to move your truck).

stu675:

njl:

If you are aware it’s changed, and are quick enough to change it back to break within 30 seconds, you won’t lose your initial break period (even if you have to move your truck).

It’s true the head unit will show a continuous break if you do this, also true that a printout won’t show that the wheels moved briefly, I’ve used this tactic myself once upon a (many)time(s).

BUT… a head download will show this activity, so if you have a DVSA encounter they may have something to say. If you’re involved in a serious incident it will come to light and be used against you.

Zac_A:

stu675:

njl:

It’s true the head unit will show a continuous break if you do this, also true that a printout won’t show that the wheels moved briefly, I’ve used this tactic myself once upon a (many)time(s).

BUT… a head download will show this activity, so if you have a DVSA encounter they may have something to say. If you’re involved in a serious incident it will come to light and be used against you.

I think you’ve confused two different scenarios.

Scenario 1:
During a Break, move the truck a few yards. Tacho automatically switches to Work but you immediately switch back to Break.
Tacho doesn’t show any interruption in your Break BUT this can indeed be detected by analysing the digital “speed trace” recorded on the head unit which will show that the wheels moved.

Scenario 2:
During a Break, you switch the ignition on, again resulting in the tacho automatically switching to Work. Again you immediately switch back to Break and again the tacho records an uninterrupted break on the driver card.
This action is NOT recorded by the “speed trace” and so won’t be visible to an investigator following download of the head unit.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
]I think you’ve confused two different scenarios.

k

Well, it was me pushing the situation from the ignition being switched on to actually moving the wheels -
If I was under investigation, - well let’s hope it doesn’t come to that!!!