TACHO QUESTION

Hi Boys and Girls.

My Brother will shortly be driving a 7-1/2 tonner box van from Birmingham to the North East of Scotland.
The truck will be used for moving house,so is not under O licence rules etc.

He has 'phoned me tonight asking whether he has to use a tacho, and I have said yes.

The truck will be a rental motor, and any advice would be welcome.

Cheers,

Niall.

I think I am right in saying that as it is not carrying goods it is not subject to tacho regs, well that is how I have always understood it. Personally, I would still put one in and just write on the back it was for personal business.

He doesn’t need to use a tacho. It is purely for personal use. You could even use the artic you drive at work all week to move house and you wouldn’t need a tacho…did that myself. No problem with the ministry either as its dead easy to prove a change of address.

Private movement of goods hence exempt EC tacho regulations. If the journey is not connected with making a living rhen it will be exempt Domestic regs to.

1. When are drivers exempt from the EC rules?

Drivers are exempt from the EC drivers’ hours rules and from the tachograph rules (see following questions) when engaged in the following transport operations anywhere in the European Community.

Vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of goods for personal use.

Taken from the DFT’s site.
The relevant bit is non-commercial carriage of goods for personal use

Thanks for all the replies.

I have spoke to my brother to-night and told him he is exempt.

He said he will put a card in anyway, just in case of a bump or a pull off the plod.

As he is going double manned anyway, I don’t blame him.

Thanks again.

Niall.