Tacho question

Conor:
Yet another company with clueless morons running the traffic office. Mate had a big row with his who said he could drive after a 36hr weekly rest even though he only took 24hr last week. According to them, 36hrs is a normal weekly rest period.

you can legally have a reduced weekly rest for 2 consecutive weeks but the 3rd week you have to start paying back en mass.
the problem with digi cards is theres no way of recording where a driver started and ended their shift or the distance between maybe this is the reason they want tacho cards filling in as well even though theres no legal requirement

Mr B:
you can legally have a reduced weekly rest for 2 consecutive weeks

Are you sure about that■■?

I thought that in any 2 consecutive weeks at least one full weekly rest must be taken… :wink:

we have to write REST /SICK OR HOLIDAY on the days were off in our time books,think thats more to do with pay office knowing what to pay us than any legal requirement

tofer:

geebee45:
Simple answer; this is not a legal requirement and never has been.

If you are doing something eg yard work, when you cannot put your digi card in a VU to record the activity at the time, the ONLY legal way of making a record of those activities is to use the ‘manual input facility’ when you next insert the card into a VU.

There is nothing to stop you making a manual trace on an analogue chart to record these activities

I think geebee45 was referring to days when a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph is used.

tofer:
I’m told once we have a full digi fleet there will be a way of using the office computer to input manual entries to the card but I have no clue as to the truth of that.

I think it’s safe to say that there’s absolutely no truth in that whatsoever, I don’t know what the penalty is for writing to a driver card but I imagine that depending on the severity of the offence there’s a chance that you wouldn’t need to worry about providing your own breakfast for a little while, you would probably also have a hard time explaining to the TC why you should keep your heavy goods license.

I’m guessing that it would be regarded as far more serious than using two cards (could be wrong though)

Mr B:
you can legally have a reduced weekly rest for 2 consecutive weeks but the 3rd week you have to start paying back en mass.

No I’m sorry but that’s wrong, you can not legally have only reduced weekly rest periods in two consecutive weeks.

In any two consecutive weeks you should have at least a regular weekly rest (45 hours) and a reduced weekly rest of no less than 24 hours.
In other words you can only have a reduced weekly rest on alternate weeks.
The compensation for a reduced weekly rest period should be paid back en block by the end of the third week following the week in which the reduced weekly rest was taken.

Mr B:

Conor:
Yet another company with clueless morons running the traffic office. Mate had a big row with his who said he could drive after a 36hr weekly rest even though he only took 24hr last week. According to them, 36hrs is a normal weekly rest period.

No, not true. While you can have two, or more, consecutive reduced weekly rest periods to avoid working more than 6 days without a weekly rest you must have at least one reduced and one regular in any two consecutive weeks. Two consecutive weeks with only reduced rest periods applying to them would be illegal. Also, there is no legal requirement to start paying anything back in the third week, you can if you wish but it isn’t necessary.

you must get it in writing that the company will stand by you when you are prosecuted for attempting to pervert the course of justice.
your digi card is the new version of a written record. “your legal requirement”. then if you keep an additional written record on a tacho chart, and lets say you are out by one or two minutes, whether it’s driving time, breaks, poa, other work. then you could be prosecuted.
so don’t do it.
you are the driver,
you are the boss of you and your licence.
they can’t sack you for refusing to make an additional written record, as you are only required to make one.