Tacho Question

Just about to start a new job and first time to use digi-card.
I have not been driving for the last 3 weeks, which was on analogue tachos.
What would i need to bring with me, in the form of letter etc,. to euroland to cover me. or do i just need last weeks work analogue cards photocopies ?

you need to have the originals of your last 28 calender days.

a letter wont cut it i dont think but someone with more knowledge will be along shortly

You need a full set of tacho records for the past 28 days, analogue or digital.

If you haven’t been working at all, it’s useful to have an attestation from your employer to say that you haven’t been working, in multiple languages. Do a search around, and you should be able to find some templates.

For every week (Monday-Sunday) in which you have driven under EC regs (i.e. with an analogue or digital tacho), you need a full set of tacho records for every day you’ve worked in that week, even if you were working on something other than driving.

Photocopies aren’t good enough. You need originals.

My former boss wants to keep the originals.
Is this normal or should i insist on getting them ?

paddy2008:

Yes and yes.

It’s probably normal that your boss wants to keep them, since he probably doesn’t trust you to return them as you don’t work for him anymore, and he might have had experience of ex-drivers not returning tachos before.

You should insist on getting them, as if you don’t, and you drive a truck under EC regs within 28 days of your last shift, you’ll be breaking the law.

paddy2008:

tell him to take to photocopies and get hold of them, like mr flibble says you will be breaking the law without them.

ask him for a self addressed envelope and you will send them back to him! if he wont let you have them a quick ring to VOSA while he is there will get his arse in gear!

Alternatively, ask your former boss to provide the following letter, signed by him and his CPC holder, on company-headed paper:

To whom it may concern,
is unable to provide any enforcement officer with original copies of tachograph charts between the dates of and .

They have been confiscated from despite the fact that he is legally required to carry them for the following 28 days whenever he is driving a vehicle under EC tachograph regulations. We understand that this action demonstrates our ignorance of the EC tachograph regulations, and therefore accept all responsibility for any offences related to the non-production of tachograph charts by , including, and not limited to, the revocation of our operator’s license.

Signed:

XXXXX Boss
XXXXX CPC holder

Duplicate post - coffeeholic answered here