Tacho question??

I apologise if I seem a bit thick but I’m a bit puzzled…
Tacho rules…
I’ve revised them and have got a sort of understanding…
I’m starting a weekend agency job on Sunday morning.
You can drive for 4 1/2 hours and then must have a 45 min break or you can break it down into 3 x 15 min breaks in that 4 1/2 hours.
As I will be doing multi drop.
Driving \ other work etc…
How does that work?
Say for instance…
I do a seven hour shift and only drive 3 hours and the rest are other work.
Do I take breaks or not as I have not been driving for more than 4 1/2 hours?
Is it a case of, you add up all your drive time inbetween driving & other work until it gets up to 4 1/2 hours and then take your 45 mins?
Thanks in advance.
BL.

Right Niel WILL be onlater and explain it more throughly

but you must take a rest either after 4.5 hrs driveing or

after a total of 6 hrs work this is the law, go on to the site

here as regards safety and working hours there are lots

good tips here plus go on to the VOSA site and look up

the drivers hours post this will have the answers laid out for you.

Thanks brit pete.

If you don’t exceed 4.5 hours driving in your shift then there is no requirement to take a 45 minute break under the tacho rules, and yes you add up all the little bits of driving inbetween your drops to keep track of your total driving time.

In the seven hour shift you mention above you will need breaks totalling 30 minutes under the WTD. You will need to take a break of at least 15 minutes before you exceed 6 hours work, in this case work is driving time and other work (the time spent doing your deliveries) added together. You would then need to take another 15 minute break before the end of your shift. You could just take 30 minutes in one block before you exceed 6 hours work and that would be enough for the whole seven hour shift.

If you do reach 4.5 hours driving within this shift you would need breaks totalling 45 minutes, in one block or in two or three segments with no break shorter than 15 minutes. Examples would be 3 x 15 min, 1 x 15 and 1 x 30 min, 1 x 20 min. and 1 x 25 min, 1 x 27 min and 1 x 18 min, etc.

A break can be used to satisfy both the tacho and WTD regulations, you don’t need to take separate periods.

Go on the VOSA website, there is a very good PDF file “DRIVERS HOURS AND TACHOGRAPH RULES FOR GOODS VEHILCES IN THE UK AND EUROPE” I’ve found it very useful, helped me pass the agencies tests.

hi , get a timer, im new to trucking i found that if u set it to 4.30min and every time u get to one off ur drops stop it then start it when u set off and also put ur tacho to cross hammers when u stop at ur drops i also start a daily dairy i write down my start and finish times were i go to and from,time i get there and set off from drops ect.its handy to work out were u been and how long u been waiting to be tipped Also with the timer once u reach 4 30 hrs have ur 45 min break then after, start timer again another 4.30 its rare u do 430 hrs doing multi drop mind ,also if u think u will be a long time tipping bang 3 ,15 mins breaks during the 430 mins
hope thats helped i getting used to the job myself good luck :slight_smile:

i mean 9hrs driving multidrop :open_mouth: duh ! lol

Cheers to all for info especially Coffeholic.

BL.

Here is a link to the DofT drivers hour reg’s that howatsi mentioned.

slackeye:
hi , get a timer, im new to trucking i found that if u set it to 4.30min and every time u get to one off ur drops stop it then start it when u set off and also put ur tacho to cross hammers when u stop at ur drops i also start a daily dairy i write down my start and finish times were i go to and from,time i get there and set off from drops ect.its handy to work out were u been and how long u been waiting to be tipped Also with the timer once u reach 4 30 hrs have ur 45 min break then after, start timer again another 4.30 its rare u do 430 hrs doing multi drop mind ,also if u think u will be a long time tipping bang 3 ,15 mins breaks during the 430 mins
hope thats helped i getting used to the job myself good luck :slight_smile:

I hope your not saying to take a break on tacho while actually working…■■

tut tut tut…

You would never CATCH me doing this :wink: