Tacho question.

Not used a tacho in years and my last job was tacho exempt so my question is just to jog my memory is……

If I stick my card in and start the process like lights, trailers and the rest of the stuff do I need to do anything tacho wise before I drive off?

Also, while sat on a bay like a spare lemon what do others leave the tacho set at or do you just leave it as is and don’t touch it?

Basic questions yes just trying to get my head back into it.

Ta.

In the morning put card in and make sure it’s on crossed hammers other work for 15mins and do walk round checks
If on a bay and not doing any thing work wise , put on break
Don’t use POA

Ta bud.

Thanks.

blue estate:
In the morning put card in and make sure it’s on crossed hammers other work for 15mins and do walk round checks
Don’t use POA

As long as you are paid for all your breaks, or they only deduct 45 mins no matter how many breaks you take. In that case you need to mess about with poa.

Sattalk:
Not used a tacho in years and my last job was tacho exempt so my question is just to jog my memory is……

If I stick my card in and…

I CBA to go into it in massive detail (there’s a big thread on it from a few weeks ago) but you need to account for the previous 28 days, if that’s not on the card then there’s a few options open to you. If you haven’t done any driving recently, easiest option is an official-format Attestation Letter.

Despite what some people on here are thinking/claiming, amongst the TM community there’s plenty of examples of drivers getting fined because they aren’t on board with the new legislation, for DVSA it’s like shooting fish in a barrel. It’s all become a much bigger PITA than it used to be, so you’ll need to get up to speed on what changed from August 2020 onwards.

blue estate:
Don’t use POA

It doesn’t necessarily have to be on other work for 15 minutes to do your checks, a ‘‘reasonable amount of time’’ is all that is required.

The DVSA guidance video shows him just walking around the truck with a cursory glance for anything flapping,falling off,or about to fall off.

He doesn’t wear gloves which he should do.

Climbing underneath is not required as this saved the young lad driver from going to prison for the Bath tipper crash with fatal results from brake failure, his boss and mechanic got five years in the slammer.