Tacho question

Hi all,

I’ve been doing a mixture of 3.5, 7.5 and class 2 since July through agency. The 3.5 vans I’ve driven haven’t been on tacho but I’ve mostly been in a vehicle with a tacho during this time. It dawned on me today that I should’ve been recording the 3.5 non tacho work on the tacho through manual entry. I was under the impression you didn’t need to record work from a non tacho vehicle, So when I’ve jumped back in a tacho vehicle after doing 3.5 work I’ve just put it as if I was on rest the whole time. Inputting manual entries for non tacho days seems like a complete nightmare with adding in the necessary breaks etc. I know I’d screw it up and get infringements if I did do that. The only thing I’ve got is agency timesheets that show I was working on certain days although they don’t specify which whether I was in a tacho vehicle or not. Bit worried I’ve cocked this right up.

. Can anyone shed some light on what the proper course of action to take in this scenario is? Can I just carry a written record of non tacho work in the last 28 days rather than using the tacho?

Thanks.

You need to record your non tacho work as “other work”.

I would record this on the back of a tacho roll, with name, card and vehicle details etc correctly filled in, and signed.

You need a complete record. So anything not on your tacho, needs to be manually recorded. Either by a manual entry on the tacho, or as I said above, manually filled in on a tacho roll.

As said above the none tachograph work needs to be recorded as other work for the EU regulations.

For days that you do not do any in-scope work the manual entries can be written on printouts or charts, I would never recommend manually inputting these records into the tachograph as there’s a risk of mistakes and it’s not legally required.

Also, you should not be using the rest mode for days that you’ve been doing none tachograph work, when you put your driver card into the tachograph after doing none tachograph work use the ? symbol instead of rest symbol, that way you’ll stay legal.

tachograph:
As said above the none tachograph work needs to be recorded as other work for the EU regulations.

For days that you do not do any in-scope work the manual entries can be written on printouts or charts, I would never recommend manually inputting these records into the tachograph as there’s a risk of mistakes and it’s not legally required.

Also, you should not be using the rest mode for days that you’ve been doing none tachograph work, when you put your driver card into the tachograph after doing none tachograph work use the ? symbol instead of rest symbol, that way you’ll stay legal.

So do you mean when I next jump in a tacho vehicle I need to do a printout for each of the days that I worked in a non tacho vehicle? Will the printout be completely blank as obviously I wouldn’t have used my card on said day? Also what information do I need to write on it? What does the ? symbol indicate. Sorry for so many questions, it’s hard to find much information regarding this stuff, thanks

Elesjay:

tachograph:

So do you mean when I next jump in a tacho vehicle I need to do a printout for each of the days that I worked in a non tacho vehicle? Will the printout be completely blank as obviously I wouldn’t have used my card on said day? Also what information do I need to write on it? What does the ? symbol indicate. Sorry for so many questions, it’s hard to find much information regarding this stuff, thanks

1. For none tachograph days you can just rip off a piece of printout paper and write the none tachograph days record of it, alternatively buy a cheap roll of tachograph printout paper off eBay :slight_smile:

2. For none HGV driving days, in weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you need to record all of your activities including the activities on days that you do not use a tachograph.

3. The ? symbol is for time that cannot be accounted for on a tachograph, it shows that you may have been doing other work that is not required to be input into the tachograph.
    For instance, on days that you drive a 3.5t vehicle that’s not fitted with a tachograph you cannot legally put the time down as rest because you was working, so you write a manual entry on some printout paper and when you next insert your driver card into a tachograph you use the ? symbol for the time from the end of the last on tachograph shift to the start of the current on tachograph shift.

For more information about what the DVSA requires click the link below and scroll down to section 4.3 Common Rules.

Section 4.3 Common Rules

tachograph:

Elesjay:

tachograph:

1. For none tachograph days you can just rip off a piece of printout paper and write the none tachograph days record of it, alternatively buy a cheap roll of tachograph printout paper off eBay :slight_smile:

2. For none HGV driving days, in weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you need to record all of your activities including the activities on days that you do not use a tachograph.

3. The ? symbol is for time that cannot be accounted for on a tachograph, it shows that you may have been doing other work that is not required to be input into the tachograph.
    For instance, on days that you drive a 3.5t vehicle that’s not fitted with a tachograph you cannot legally put the time down as rest because you was working, so you write a manual entry on some printout paper and when you next insert your driver card into a tachograph you use the ? symbol for the time from the end of the last on tachograph shift to the start of the current on tachograph shift.

For more information about what the DVSA requires click the link below and scroll down to section 4.3 Common Rules.

Section 4.3 Common Rules

Thanks a lot, appreciate the info