Tacho Question?

I’ve recently started a new job having just passed my Cat C and think I’ve made a booboo with the tacho.

I’ve been fine with the manual entries at start of shift but a couple of days ago it went a bit haywire! I thought I’d just eject the card and start again, but of course when I did that and then reinserted the card, it just offered me the manual entries for the minute since I’d last pulled it. Whoops.

So I now have a daily rest period which hasn’t been properly categorised. TachoPlus describes it as “tacho corrections don’t exist for 14:15h”. Everything before and after is fine.

I’ve done a printout of the day, explained I’ve messed up the manual entry on it and signed it.

In the unlikely event I get pulled by VOSA, will they care?
Is there any way to go back and correct it?

1. It’s only 1 minute that got screwed up

2. You’re new

As long as you did a print-out explaining it, and can show VOSA if you get pulled, they should be OK with it. Be sure to tell them you screwed up and know it, and that you’re new.

As long as the rest of the hours are correct for the day, you should be fine.

Don’t run one minute over anything though - that is seen as way worse (basically no excuse). Always aim to be finished driving or working before the actual end of the allowed period. Don’t try and run to exactly the end of the time because one day you’ll run late, and if that happens too often, they’ll see this as “improper planning” and fine you for exceeding hours.

Do NOT try and “fix” it - this is illegal and will get you into a heap of trouble! It’s there. Acknowledge it and move on (and don’t worry; just don’t make a habit of it).

Inglebert:
I’ve done a printout of the day, explained I’ve messed up the manual entry on it and signed it.

I would advise you to do two printouts, hand one into your transport office (if they want it) and keep one with you in case you get pulled into a DVSA roadside check.

Inglebert:
In the unlikely event I get pulled by VOSA, will they care?

Well they will care but only enough to query what happened, show them your printout and explain that you’re new to using tachographs and they’ll be fine with you.

Inglebert:
Is there any way to go back and correct it?

No you can’t fix it on your card, once the record is written to your driver card it cannot be changed.

Don’t lose sleep over genuine minor mistakes mate, do any required printouts to explain your mistake, try to learn from your mistakes then get on with your life :wink:

Well, it’s a duration of 14:15 hours, not a minute at 14:15, so it’s the whole of a rest period !! But nonetheless, that’s what I needed to know - thanks!

Inglebert:
Well, it’s a duration of 14:15 hours, not a minute at 14:15, so it’s the whole of a rest period !! But nonetheless, that’s what I needed to know - thanks!

You’re not the first driver to accidentality record an entire rest period as other work and you won’t be the last, in the overall scheme of things it’s a fairly minor mistake because it’s obviously a mistake and you’ve got the printout to show that you realised what you did wrong.