Tacho query

Hi

I have not had a lot of tacho experience but yesterday I had a driving assesment for a job. I havent used digicard in about a year so when I put it in I said no to a manual entry. Now thinking about it, when I took it out last year when I last used it, it will have been registering other work. Am I now right in thinking that it will now show up on my card as an infringement and I have been doing other work non stop for a year followed by the 20 mins driving I did for the assessment?

I passed the assessment and am waiting on a start date and I am assuming I will have to download my card at the beginning or end of the first shift If it does look like i have been doing other work for a whole year will it be a problem?

If you selected YES then it would expect a manual input of what you did … that will take a long long long time to input !

It depends on the age of the tachograph, if the one you used yesterday was the old type 1 tachograph it will have recorded ? for the entire time since the card was last ejected (last year) so that won’t be a problem.

If it was the newer type 2 tachograph it will probably have recorded other work for the entire time since the card was last ejected, it’s pretty obvious this isn’t correct so it shouldn’t be a problem, however it may throw the analysis software into a state of frenzy :smiley:

If it was a type 2 tachograph I suppose it won’t hurt to do a printout and write an explanation on it (when you next use a digital tachograph) just to show you’re aware of the mistake.

ROG:
If you selected YES then it would expect a manual input of what you did … that will take a long long long time to input !

Yes, i thought if i selected yes then theoretically i should have put in the last 28 days of my regular 8 hours a day mon-fri job which like you say would take ages. Thats why I selected no. However, for some reason I was expecting it to ask me if the last insert date was end of shift. Maybe Im getting mixed up with something else.

tachograph:
It depends on the age of the tachograph, if the one you used yesterday was the old type 1 tachograph it will have recorded ? for the entire time since the card was last ejected (last year) so that won’t be a problem.

If it was the newer type 2 tachograph it will probably have recorded other work for the entire time since the card was last ejected, it’s pretty obvious this isn’t correct so it shouldn’t be a problem, however it may throw the analysis software into a state of frenzy :smiley:

If it was a type 2 tachograph I suppose it won’t hurt to do a printout and write an explanation on it (when you next use a digital tachograph) just to show you’re aware of the mistake.

Yes will do a print out. They have brand new vehicles so they will be brand new tachos i would think.

Mrwinkle:

ROG:

Yes, i thought if i selected yes then theoretically i should have put in the last 28 days of my regular 8 hours a day mon-fri job which like you say would take ages. Thats why I selected no. However, for some reason I was expecting it to ask me if the last insert date was end of shift. Maybe Im getting mixed up with something else.

No you wouldn’t have to do that.

• You only need to record none driving work days for days in the same weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations.
  • You can write records for none driving work days on charts or printouts, no need to input the data into a tachograph.

On your tachograph when prompted for a manual entry you should have pressed “Yes” and recorded the entire time since the card was last ejected to when the card was again inserted with the ? symbol.

The ? symbol is for time that cannot be accounted for, such as none driving work days or driving days when using an analogue tachograph.

Ok. Many thanks.

Mrwinkle:
Thats why I selected no. However, for some reason I was expecting it to ask me if the last insert date was end of shift. Maybe Im getting mixed up with something else.

If it didn’t ask anything further when you selected ‘NO’ then I would say it is a version 2 tacho. A version 1 or 1.4 would then ask you to confirm the country and then confirm the entry, this would then enter ‘?’ for the period from when the card was last inserted. You would only be asked to confirm ‘end of shift’ if you had selected ‘YES’.

A version 2 works differently. If you select ‘NO’ to the 1M Entry prompt it simply logs you in and will more than likely have entered ‘?’ for the period, but may (some do) have entered cross hammers for the whole period because that was the last mode used.

With a version 2 type (these are 2012 onwards (ish)) I would suggest always select ‘YES’ and do a manual entry. This way you can make sure the correct items are entered. As has been said in your case this needed to be ‘?’