Tacho query or possible fault?

Driving an Iveco Eurocargo 18t :frowning: , arrived at site with 35 mins driving time left, due to have a 30min break before driving back to the yard, I started to reverse into a safe position after being tipped, when a clock face appeared in the tacho area of the dash, nothing in the display on the actual tacho device, sorry no picture of the clock face on the dash. :blush:

I assumed that I had mis calculated my driving time but then realised that I would have had the steering wheel on the dash, my reaction was to stop driving and take my rest, checked if it was OK to stop where I was in the yard, no problem. So tacho set to rest, time passes, under normal working circumstances the display on the dash would go off when the correct time has elapsed, after 30 mins it hadnā€™t gone off, so decided I had got my timing way off for some reason, sat a further 15 mins, still the dash display remained.

After sitting there for a total of 55 mins I printed out the times for the day so far, all was OK, at this point I drove back to base, the display on the dash showing all the way back. I checked with one of the other drivers if he had seen the display before, NOPE never seen it. So I know Iā€™m OK with my timings, even if I did have an extended break! :smiley:

I have checked the user manual for the truck, nothing there but the installation of the tacho head :confused: , Iā€™ve mentioned it to the TM, he said would keep an eye on it. :open_mouth:

So, is this a fault of the Iveco dashboard display or have I made a serious mistake in my interpretation of the clock?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated :smiley:

I got caught out like this once.
I knew i had only done 2.5 hrs driving,when the tacho started bleeping and was reading that i only had 15mins driving left before 45min break was required.
I stopped and did a print out to find that when iā€™d parked up the previous evening,iā€™d left the tacho on other work,not rest.
The combined time of the previous days last driving period and the 2.5hrs iā€™d done on the day,made the tacho show i was up to my limit.

Iveco + electrics = strange messages/displays, thatā€™s all you need to know regarding this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
Iveco + electrics = strange messages/displays, thatā€™s all you need to know regarding this. :stuck_out_tongue:

This sounds right, Iā€™ve had low oil and intermittent battery fault displays as well, neither of them have been correct. Iā€™ll know what to do next time! :wink: :sunglasses: :unamused:

Thatā€™s the symbol for an ā€œinstrument cluster faultā€. Keep pressing buttons until it gives you the full screen red alert then completely shuts off, at which point itā€™ll reset, restart, and vanish. Mine does it if you try and set the alarm and night heater at the same time as reaching up and turning the radio down. Itā€™s just one of those Iveco ā€œthingsā€, and the best thing to do, as always, is to completely blow itā€™s mind so it reboots.

Btwā€¦ Incorrect Low Oil faults (confirmed by manually dipping) are best cured by leaving the thing to sulk for an hour and trying again. They do it when the oil is lower than halfway on the gauge (which is bang on between max and min on the dip and therefore fine) but youā€™re parked on a slight angle or you turn the key too quick for it to register the presence of oil on the computer gauge. The gauge canā€™t ā€œdipā€ at all unless the motorā€™s been sitting for half an hour, but an hour is better as it allows as much oil as possible to go back into the sump so that even a mardy computer canā€™t deny itā€™s there.

For battery fault displays, turn the motor off and turn everything you can in the cab on. Lights in and out, heater, radio, 4 ways, you name it. If you can plug in a kettle and a telly as well then so much the better. Sod off and have a cup of tea. Come back, turn the key, make a note of the voltage showing, then start her up for five minutes. Turn off and register the new voltage which will be higher. The fault should have cleared. If it hasnā€™t, then you have a choice of three options:

1. Repeat the above.
  2. Call out Iveco, have a nice chat with the Italian woman who answers, sit for an hour waiting for them to come out. Just as you see the nose of their van come around the corner the fault will magically vanish.
  3. Say ā€œā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  to ya!ā€ in a loud voice and drive off. Can be a bit risky that one, because they get upset when ignored so may well chuck a few more faults at you to try and regain your attention. Mine quite often starts telling me everything that does work instead of everything that doesnā€™t. Just turn the radio up to drown out the bleeps and bongs from the dash and itā€™ll get over itself after a hour or two.

Above all, remember that Ivecos are female and will therefore always behave accordingly. :grimacing:

In my opinion itā€™s always best to take readings off the tachograph display unit rather than a vehicle dash display, regardless of what the vehicle dash says itā€™s whatā€™s on the actual tachograph unit that will be recorded on your driver card and thatā€™s what really counts when it comes to infringements.
In the circumstances you describe I would have checked the tachograph unit display and ignored what the dash display was saying :wink:

Quick question, even the tachohead displayed driving time can be well out.

Not been in the situation cause i changed modes, but we are forced to use POA, using more than 45mins rest means it will come off your pay the so and soā€™s.

We do a lot of other work, so get to six hours working time before 4hrs 30mins driving typically.

But in the situation where you have say 30mins POA, then get to 6 hours working time and take 15mins, the display resets to 0hrs driving time even though you maybe still have an hour or two before you hit 4hrs 30mins driving. So you continue driving say for 2 hours then take 30mins rest, in the real world your back at having 4hrs 30mins driving but in digi tacho land in this example your driving time is sitting at 2 hours, so then you drive another 4 hours legally your digital tacho will be going mental telling you to take a break.

My question is do this get put down on the card as driving over your hours, i know a quick check by any enforcement agency will reveal you didnā€™t but was wondering if it was saved on your card as a violation.

Thanks for the advise Lucy, Iā€™ll keep it in mind for next time and give it a try, always time for a cuppa too! :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Kenny1975:
Quick question,

My question is do this get put down on the card as driving over your hours, i know a quick check by any enforcement agency will reveal you didnā€™t but was wondering if it was saved on your card as a violation.

Hi Kenny

My card was fine, no violations, I made a note on the printout just in case, when mentioned to the TM, he wasnā€™t to bothered, canā€™t imagine how heā€™s going to keep an eye on it if Iā€™m driving it!

Stu