Tacho Queries For New job

Hi All,

I’ve basically done nothing since I passed my class 2 in Jan this year due to my own non driving job, I’ve had the odd agency shift but nothing for about 3 months now. I’m starting a new job this month that requires some class 2 driving for the NHS.

So What happens when I put my card in head unit? Will it require to be downloaded first as I’ve not used it for a long period?

Also, my new job requires me to drive to destination then work there for rest of day then drive truck back to base so, do I leave my card in the tacho all day then go and manually put it on break etc or am I best to withdraw when arriving at at the work place.

TIA

jimmea:
Hi All,

I’ve basically done nothing since I passed my class 2 in Jan this year due to my own non driving job, I’ve had the odd agency shift but nothing for about 3 months now. I’m starting a new job this month that requires some class 2 driving for the NHS.

So What happens when I put my card in head unit? Will it require to be downloaded first as I’ve not used it for a long period?

Also, my new job requires me to drive to destination then work there for rest of day then drive truck back to base so, do I leave my card in the tacho all day then go and manually put it on break etc or am I best to withdraw when arriving at at the work place.

TIA

1. the Card will not need to be downloaded before it can be used.
    When you insert your driver card use the ? symbol for thee time from the end of your last driving shift to the start of the current driving shift, you will need to carry records of work and weekly rest periods for the last 28 days.

2. Assuming no-one else will be using the lorry and it will be close to where you’re working I would leave the card in and remember to change the mode switch to other work or break ec’t, however if you’re not going to use the vehicle all day and if it’s not convenient to use the tachograph you can eject the card and do a manual entry of your activities when you insert the card to drive back to base.

If you eject the card you will need to do the manual entry for the days activities or face the wroth of the DVSA, so if you’re not comfortable with manual entries and the vehicle can be locked to stop anyone else using it I’d leave the card in all day.

tachograph:

jimmea:
Hi All,

TIA

1. the Card will not need to be downloaded before it can be used.

A responsible employer will require the card to be downloaded before use. This is nothing for you to worry about, just make it available.

When you insert your driver card use the ? symbol for thee time from the end of your last driving shift to the start of the current driving shift,

just to explain how to achieve this. when you insert your card it will ask if you want to do a manual entry or “rest until now” just say no to these questions and a “?” will be added to your records

you will need to carry records of work and weekly rest periods for the last 28 days.

When I started a new job, I just signed the form provided by my employer. I believe it purported to say that I had not driven in scope for the past 28 days and that I had taken sufficient rest prior to starting work. I don’t believe it is reasonable for anyone to retrospectively come up with prior 28 days’ records. It would be worth you reading the attachments in trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=173070. It doesn’t affect me so I haven’t.

1. Assuming no-one else will be using the lorry and it will be close to where you’re working I would leave the card in and remember to change the mode switch to other work or break ec’t, however if you’re not going to use the vehicle all day and if it’s not convenient to use the tachograph you can eject the card and do a manual entry of your activities when you insert the card to drive back to base.

If you eject the card you will need to do the manual entry for the days activities or face the wroth of the DVSA, so if you’re not comfortable with manual entries and the vehicle can be locked to stop anyone else using it I’d leave the card in all day.

If you leave your card in, set a timer on your phone to make sure you come back and change it to break.
Good luck with the new job jimmea!!

Thanks for the replies.

I think I’ll just leave the card in and switch to break etc as I’m not comfortable with the manual entries.

It’s a completely new job that’s been created so I’ll have to see what’s involved when I start. A bit nervous about the driving side as I’ve not been in anything bigger than 7.5t for a right few months!

Started my new job last week and discovered that no Tacho is required. Transport dept is running a board with all runs to and from the depot clearly marked with distances and times. There is a machine in the trucks but all are disconnected.

Drivers are given a truck and allocated a run and must not deviate from route except for road closures etc. I didn’t know it was allowed but you learn every day.