Tacho q for the experts

ok if i have a second person with me and i kick off the shift driving my card in slot one and other persons card in slot 2. When we come to swap over driving we need to swap the cards over Here is the rub in the 4 times i have done it i have anaged to get different infringents, it has either forgoten that we had a break or cancles the break we were onwhile we swapped cards over or even just not recorded anything and causes a card removed infringment.

what the bloody hell am i doing wrong

Are you swapping cards during your break :question:
If yes then they need swapping before or after a break

ROG:
Are you swapping cards during your break :question:
If yes then they need swapping before or after a break

ok todays effort for an example
put both cards on break
swapped cards
did a man entry on each card for other work when prompted.
realised i screwed up the break so put both cards back on break
tacho head showed 16 min of break apparently
we set off on our merry way and had half hour(32 min) at cambridge only to discover after 20 mins tacho started flashing letting us know we were nearing our 4.5 hours when we looked at print out deff 32 mins recorded but only 15 showing on the head as it hadnt recorded the first break

cooper1203:
put both cards on break
swapped cards
we set off on our merry way and had half hour(32 min) at cambridge only to discover after 20 mins tacho started flashing letting us know we were nearing our 4.5 hours when we looked at print out deff 32 mins recorded but only 15 showing on the head as it hadnt recorded the first break

It sounds like one of you may be trying to book a driving break before you’ve done any driving, the second driver cannot book a driving break until he has done some driving so booking a break immediately aftter changing the cards over is pointless as far as driving breaks are concerned, in that respect the rules on breaks are the same as for a single manned journey.

Are you only changing the cards over once during the trip or do you change over more than once ?

I’ve no idea why the tachograph would be telling you to have a break after 20 minutes of driving, perhaps you could obscure any personal details then post a picture of the printouts.

tachograph:

cooper1203:
put both cards on break
swapped cards

It sounds like one of you may be trying to book a driving break before you’ve done any driving, the second driver cannot book a driving break until he has done some driving so booking a break immediately aftter changing the cards over is pointless as far as driving breaks are concerned, in that respect the rules on breaks are the same as for a single manned journey.

Are you only changing the cards over once during the trip or do you change over more than once ?

I’ve no idea why the tachograph would be telling you to have a break after 20 minutes of driving, perhaps you could obscure any personal details then post a picture of the printouts.

because we had done 4hours driving we rhought we had reset driving time but only had 30 min hence the driving yime warning

Surely your driver trainer should be sorting this out , that’s what his job is , Training , if you haven’t got one ask one of the older drivers & theyl put you right
If your employed then did you not go out for a few days with another driver when you started , did you not get there tel no to ring if you’ve issues
If your agency , don’t worry about infringements , it’s expected

cooper1203:

tachograph:

cooper1203:
put both cards on break
swapped cards

because we had done 4hours driving we rhought we had reset driving time but only had 30 min hence the driving yime warning

The allowed maximum driving time before having a break is for the driver not the vehicle, talking about “we had done 4 hours driving” is irrelevant because it only matters how much driving each individual driver has done.

Like I said I’ve no idea why the tachograph would be telling you to have a break shortly after changing drivers but I can tell you that the second driver having a break immediately after putting his card in slot 1 won’t achieve anything as far as driving breaks are concerned.

Also, be aware that when your card is in slot 2 it automatically records POA for the time the vehicle is moving and POA will mess up the driving time shown on the tachograph display, that’s why I asked if you change drivers more than once during the shift.

tachograph:

cooper1203:

tachograph:

cooper1203:
put both cards on break
swapped cards

The allowed maximum driving time before having a break is for the driver not the vehicle, talking about “we had done 4 hours driving” is irrelevant because it only matters how much driving each individual driver has done.

Like I said I’ve no idea why the tachograph would be telling you to have a break shortly after changing drivers but I can tell you that the second driver having a break immediately after putting his card in slot 1 won’t achieve anything as far as driving breaks are concerned.

Also, be aware that when your card is in slot 2 it automatically records POA for the time the vehicle is moving and POA will mess up the driving time shown on the tachograph display, that’s why I asked if you change drivers more than once during the shift.

Usually we just change cards over once however if im training and the other guy gets tired or is struggeling im expected to take over so obviously would have to change the cards over again.

there was 4 hours driving on the second persons card. so as far as card 2 is concirned all it saw as activity was 15 min break then 4 hours driving if what ever i was doing before we swapped the cards is irrelivent to the second persons

Are you setting slot 1 to break then immediately changing cards :question:

ROG:
Are you setting slot 1 to break then immediately changing cards :question:

thats what i did but thn screwed up the man entry by putting in other work rather than rest so once both cards were back in i put them both back on break for 16 min

Swap cards and then set the mode should sort it in the future

When double manning the first 45 mins of POA- or part thereof - in slot 2 counts as break

tachograph:

cooper1203:

tachograph:

cooper1203:
put both cards on break
swapped cards

I’ve had the techo flash break no2 whe I’ve swapped cards at 4.15 hours. But then it’s cancelled it out.

On another note, wouldn’t double manning mean that you wouldnt technically need to manually take a break if you swap cards with the 1st 45 of poa being recorded as break. And as long a the 1st driver doesn’t reach the 6hrs wtd? As 2nd drivers hours are paused on poa so to speak?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Don’t change any mode before swapping cards. Swap cards first. Then the the card that was in slot one but us now in slot two will have its time recorded as POA - the first 45 mins of this POA will be counted as a break.

Putting your card in rest become taking it out to then add a manual entry for rest… doesnt sound like a break to me…

toonsy:
Don’t change any mode before swapping cards. Swap cards first. Then the the card that was in slot one but us now in slot two will have its time recorded as POA - the first 45 mins of this POA will be counted as a break.

Putting your card in rest become taking it out to then add a manual entry for rest… doesnt sound like a break to me…

only reason i did a man entry on swapping cards was because i got an infringment for unrecorded time when i didnt do a man entry.

AV1D:
I’ve had the techo flash break no2 whe I’ve swapped cards at 4.15 hours. But then it’s cancelled it out.

Thanks for that info, giving a warning then cancelling itself seems like a good way to go.

AV1D:
On another note, wouldn’t double manning mean that you wouldnt technically need to manually take a break if you swap cards with the 1st 45 of poa being recorded as break. And as long a the 1st driver doesn’t reach the 6hrs wtd? As 2nd drivers hours are paused on poa so to speak?

Yes to both points though obviously it does depend on the situation, sometimes both drivers will be involved in other work apart from driving.

cooper1203:

toonsy:

only reason i did a man entry on swapping cards was because i got an infringment for unrecorded time when i didnt do a man entry.

Absolutely.

But the sheer nature of inputting a manual entry is itself… work. So that’s what the entry should be.

Going back to when Tacho’s were first introduced in the UK, Europe had been using them for years. However back in those days a tacho had 2 rotating switches, top left for driver 1 and top right for 2. each driver had there own tacho which had to be operating for 24 hours. When driver 1 handed over to his partner he rotated the switch to off Duty or work. Driver 2 would then turn his switch to driver and so it went on.
I don’t recall problems although there had to be a reason the equipment was changed to its present form.

hd to have been change for the benefit of the plods, Trucks are the easiest ticket they give, and as time goes on the amount of offences increases to the point you can get a ticket laying in bed at home !!