Tacho Problem?

Filled out my tacho this morning and put it in. (Yes, the RIGHT way!) :laughing:

When I finished tonight I noticed that it hadnt recorded work modes until about 1330, and I had been driving since 10am. It had recorded distance & speed perfectly. After 1330 it started to record work modes OK too. It was definatly in correctly. When I finished I wrote on the back of the tacho ā€œpossible tacho defect:reportedā€.

Should I record work modes on the back of the tacho for the missing section, or will it be OK as it is? Could it be just a dodgy disc or a tacho defect? It was a 55 plate motor so it obviously should have been calibrated recently.

Also, if no one has looked at the tacho by the morning should I still use the wagon?

Thanks in advance for the help :smiley:

I would mark the missing work modes on the reverse. Strange one really as it started working again. As for using it tomorrow can you not pop a disc in and move the mode switch a couple of times, along with a short drive round the yard to see if it is working?

Thanks Coffee, sounds like the best thing to do. :slight_smile:

Are you using Black ink tachos or the Green or Red ink ones?
Some of the new CD tray type tachograph machines ā€˜loose trackā€™ of where they should be on the disc when using the none black ink discs. When this happens you loose the trace until it remembers where it should be.Try changing to black ink discs or a different make of disc if it continues playing up.

They are red tachos, and its the type of tacho where the disc goes behind the speedometer. It worked fine yesterday and today, so no idea what was wrong before. :confused:

Iā€™d do a manual entry for the time not recorded and put an explanation on what has happened on the back. Then use it again today and if it does the same defect it.
At first I thought it might be lack of pressure on the card, but as the speed and distance works I doubt itā€™s that, but it might be that the stylus for modes was stuck or you might have a dodgy bunch of cards. Although Iā€™m only guessing and donā€™t even know if that could happen.

The tacho has been looked at. It want closing properly therefor the work mode stylus wasnt always in contact with the disc.

That solves that mystery then, nice one. We can remember this if someone posts a similar question in the future.

Good topic, the CD type I was using this week was mounted so high that you could hardly see the chart when you pulled the tray out to check, you really had to take the chart out which I donā€™t like doing as it gets messed up.
Also when the tray eject was pressed it only came out about an inch, is this normal? I had to pull it out manually to get the chart inserted properly.

Gordy:
Good topic, the CD type I was using this week was mounted so high that you could hardly see the chart when you pulled the tray out to check, you really had to take the chart out which I donā€™t like doing as it gets messed up.

On the ones I have used you pull it all the way out then it will fold down towards you, which makes inserting the chart easy. You would be better to keep a check another way as although not illegal opening the head too often will lead to questions being asked. If you venture over the water to Belgium you should never open the head during the shift as they impose heavy fines for it, despite it not being illegal.

Gordy:
Also when the tray eject was pressed it only came out about an inch, is this normal? I had to pull it out manually to get the chart inserted properly.

Yes, that is normal.