Tacho problem?!

Hey, Im currently driving a 55 plate vehicle with an analogue tachograph fitted. When Im on break and I know I absolutely 100% havent moved anywhere, it sometimes puts a little line on that looks as though Ive moved, when I genuinely havent. What could be causing this? Ive mentioned it to my gaffa, and Ive put it in my diary too, times I took the breaks etc so I could look back and check, obviously I know Vosa wouldnt be happy about it, but I dont know how to prove I havent moved, or why it`s doing it?

Any ideas?

Did you open the tray at all while on break?

Some tacho’s do it if you switch the ingnition on ( to open the window or so)

Write a defect out for it, get a photocopy and keep it with you.

Make a quick note on the back of each chart so affected, you’ve done your part and keeping records of the ongoing problem, no longer your pigeon.

It may be a little electrical spike. Do you remember using any power at those times ? (electric windows, switching on the radio, aircon, etc)

I havent opened the draw, no, it was pointed out to me by one of the other drivers a couple of weeks ago when I was checking my POA time, since then Ive been making a note of my break times in my diary, and then at the end of the day checking the tacho disc against my diary.

Yes, there are times I flick the ignition on to open the windows or to listen out for shouts over the CB (currently on harvest so get called into the fields via CB and mine only works when the ignition is on). Are they that sensitive that it affects the tacho just by flicking the ignition on :open_mouth: Wow, learn summat new every day.

Ok, so defect it (done) and just keep a note of it on tacho/in diary?

Fair enuff :sunglasses:

Some lorries alter the mode of the tacho when you switch ignition on if it’s been wired in badly, usually find its reverted to other work and you have to have another break to catch up if you turned ign on to open a window for example :unamused:

Never had one put a line on the chart though, thats usually a break in power supply such as should you disconnect the battery for some reason, again it points to poor wiring somewhere.

We used to get them on the Skoda’s quite frequently when being weekended in Europe…

It’s a pulse, no idea why it happens, it just does. We had the Skoda sparky in to look at them but he couldn’t find anything wrong. All this was years ago now.

The rumour is it’s do with the tacograph being ‘played’ with previously.

As said it could be s power spike. There were moments that when being on a bay loading / unloading the rock of the loader going in and banging pallets up would rock a mark on the tacho

If you are taking your 45 in the truck why not kill the engine and immediately switch the ignition back on? 45 minutes will not do any harm. It will not stop the problem but just may stop these “spikes” you are getting.