tacho prob?

I wonder if anyone can give me a bit of advice, some of the drivers at the place im at, tell me that they leave their tacho in the bed position and this covers all and that i dont need to move the switch as i do from one opp to another, im not happy with this so i use the tacho as i was taught and move from on opp to another depending on what task im doing, driving, other work, or bed.

is what they say right, am i right or can you do either■■?

Technically it is illegal to leave your tacho on rest at all times. All it needs is some ministry man who’s had a bad day to pick up on this to give you unnecessary grief. It’s not worth the hassle, stick to the way you were taught

Jules

As far as I’m aware you must distinguish between rest and other work.

Boots O’Lead:
Technically it is illegal to leave your tacho on rest at all times. All it needs is some ministry man who’s had a bad day to pick up on this to give you unnecessary grief. It’s not worth the hassle, stick to the way you were taught

Jules

Technically■■? it is illegal full stop! Do what your doing mate you are right!
you must move the tacho to the position you are working/resting/otherwork!

The idea of an automatic Tacho is so you can leave the mode switch alone, except you must put it onto other work when you start duty.

When you have a break, you must put it back to rest.

The automatic bit can only tell whether you are driving or loading, It isnt wired up to the bed

Thanks for the fast response and the answers, i thought i was right but was not sure, but i was not happy with their way so would not do the same, once again thanks for the advice.

abs1:
Thanks for the fast response and the answers, i thought i was right but was not sure, but i was not happy with their way so would not do the same, once again thanks for the advice.

another satisfied customer from trucknetuk :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I got picked up for this on a roadside VOSA check, you must move the switch to other work when you start to drive, and back to rest when you are resting.

Dratsabasti:
I got picked up for this on a roadside VOSA check, you must move the switch to other work when you start to drive, and back to rest when you are resting.

VOSA told you this did they :question: I’ve heard it all now.

You might like to correct them next time and suggest moving it to the driving mode when you start to drive, not ‘other work’.

Rob just how old is the tacho head in your truck?

Most tachos don’t have a driving mode on the switch these days and the mode switch would be on Other Work just before starting to drive, the tacho head will automatically record the fact you are driving. What VOSA told Dratsabasti is correct.

I tend to use the rest and other modes, its a pain in the ■■■■■■ remembering sometimes but thats what I was told, seems I was told right!

Coffeeholic:
Rob just how old is the tacho head in your truck?

Most tachos don’t have a driving mode on the switch these days and the mode switch would be on Other Work just before starting to drive, the tacho head will automatically record the fact you are driving. What VOSA told Dratsabasti is correct.

I see where you’re coming from and may have misinterpreted (holding hand up in case t’is true).

I have hammers (used for other work (as directed by a Ministry man in Scotland fwiw), bed (used for breaks and daily/weekly rest) and box (used for driving).

A appreciate that the box is (for the want of a better word) technically for ‘other work’ and am also aware of the uses of the hammers.

I could go on but the know-it-alls will all split hairs about the technicalities and start spouting the official blurb so I won’t bother.

Rob K:

Dratsabasti:

You might like to correct them next time and suggest moving it to the driving mode when you start to drive, not ‘other work’.

The modern auto tacho hasn’t a driving symbol?

If you don’t drive all the time and are away from your vehicle for a considerable time, you do not need to return to your vehicle to switch it over to rest. (when you are resting) but it needs entering manually on back of chart.

Other than that it must be moved.

Dratsabasti:

Boots O’Lead:

Technically■■? it is illegal full stop! Do what your doing mate you are right!
you must move the tacho to the position you are working/resting/otherwork!.

I havn’t heard of or met anyone receiving a fine for leaving on break though, just cautioned.

You need to inform the (zb) in the transport office it is his ‘good repute’ at stake if he allows such practices.

Fair enough Rob, hammers and box are both ‘Other Work’ so having it on either before driving will do.

But we dont use the crossed hammers here!
I have never had to use them in Europe either. I drove a German truck and we had an ex BAG gestapo bloke as tacho man!

Crossed hammers equal active work,
Box with line equals passive work or other work / driving
Bed equals drinking time or rest

Taken from the Seimens VDO site a run down of tacho laws

Nothing to stop us using the crossed hammers here Malc, just that most drivers generally use the box instead. Crossed mammers or box can be used to show other work or the box can be used to show on duty and availability for work.

Wheel Nut:
But we dont use the crossed hammers here!
I have never had to use them in Europe either. I drove a German truck and we had an ex BAG gestapo bloke as tacho man!

Crossed hammers equal active work,
Box with line equals passive work or other work / driving
Bed equals drinking time or rest

Taken from the Seimens VDO site a run down of tacho laws

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

What have I just said :question:

“I could go on but the know-it-alls will all split hairs about the technicalities and start spouting the official blurb so I won’t bother.”

:unamused: :unamused:

That’s right Rob, it’s called discussion and is the basis of the forums. :wink:

there are drivers that do get prosecuted for leaving the mode switch on rest, i have never heard of anyone done for this infringement alone, they normally have several other nasties to go with it.
it is all down to how we deal with the inspection and how the vosa man feels on the day.
i always use a timer (driver hour guard from davey driver) and it works great for me, i never change the mode switch because in an effort to make drivers forget to alter the mode, truck designers have been working with the ministry since tacho’s were designed to ensure they get a quota of offences and have hidden the mode switches at the bottom of the tacho equipment which is usually well hidden down the back of the steering column, thanks guys.
the crossed hammers used to be for breakdowns, punctures etc. this was in the days when trucks seemed to line the hard shoulder of the motorways waiting repair and chunks of rubber and steel wire were in abundance along the grass verges, it was supposed to be used so that a driver could then add the breakdown time to the working day in an effort not to lose the breakdown time, this helped the company maintain a schedule and the driver keep to the plan for the day but of course this was in the days when the max a driver could work was 12 hours, 8 hours driving in no more than 4 hour blocks and 3 hours duty plus 1 hour break (of course i may be a little wrong on the exactness of the above statement but i am not far out).
roll on the smart card.
i reckon they will find some way to stitch us up on that too, probably deny us access to view our work whilst we are still on duty, just to make easier to make a mistake.

whats all this talk about tachos.are those the things the mexicans eat ■■
must admit they do taste nice…anyway i`m still working on the log sheet and its great but i wish they would invent a machine that does the work for you…all this writing is getting me down…
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

have a nice day