Tacho not needed

apperently you dont need a tacho if you drive within a 40 km radius of your base true or false…but what happens when they ring and you have to go farther away

True and false, it’s 50km BUT it’s providing driving is not the drivers main activity.

The actual quote is “An exemption from the necessity for the use of a Tachograph esists for vehicles which are subject to Operator Licencing, but which are driven for no more than 4 hours per day and remain within a 50km radius of base”.

Nearly there, but not quite;
Article 13 EEC Regulation 3820/85;

(c) vehicles used by agricultural, horticultural, forestry or fishery undertakings for carrying goods within a 50 kilometre radius of the place where the vehicle is normally based, including local administrative areas the centres of which are situated within that radius.

(g) vehicles carrying material or equipment for the driver’s use in the course of his work within a 50 kilometre radius of the place where the vehicle is normally based, provided that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s main activity and that the exception does not seriously prejudice the objectives of the Regulation.

The only extra point to remember with the second one is that in the UK the maximum permitted weight of the vehicle (and trailer, if drawn) is 7 500kg.

Tramper said;

The actual quote is “An exemption from the necessity for the use of a Tachograph esists for vehicles which are subject to Operator Licencing, but which are driven for no more than 4 hours per day and remain within a 50km radius of base”.

Not strictly true, for vehicles subject to O-licensing they still have to fall into c or g quoted above. But there are vehicles not subject to O-licensing which come under tachograph, eg a Shogun towing a trailer delivering a car from auction to dealers premises. However, the same Shogun towing a two axle cattle trailer loaded with calves and transporting them between two farms 48 km apart would be exempt use of tacho. If the same vehicle was taking the calves to market, then the distance could be greater than 50 km and it would be exempt tacho, although that’s a different exemption (e) of Aricle 13 EEC 3820/85, if you want to look it up.

Hitch said:

but what happens when they ring and you have to go farther away

You would then have to use the tacho and make a manual record on the reverse of the chart to account for your duty earlier in the day

And just for info,during one of my recovery moment’s i got talking to the recovery driver and he was saying that they will soon be under tacho law’s.Once they have decided what distance they are allowed to drive without the tacho from their base,ie say 50k’s after that they will be under the same reg’s as you and i.I think they are trying to make it like the AA/RAC relay system,where your passed from one recovery man to another until you reach your destination. :wink:

HELP

i cant find a link that takes to me to the regs …couldnt find it via vosa

They seemed to have moved it, again. My bookmarked link didn’t take me to the correct page but after a little searching I located the missing item here.